Sponsored by:

996 Manual Seat Height Adjustment in a 993 Question Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts
Default 996 Manual Seat Height Adjustment in a 993 Question Please

This question would be for someone who has changed their seats to the 996 type, or someone who has spent some time in a 996.

With a new carpet set being installed, the original wrinkled seats are not that eye appealing. So I'm considering changing out my 4 way 993 seats for the 996 type.

Today I sat in a 996 and was not totally thrilled with the fact that when you want to lower the front of the seat the whole seat rises off the floor. Is this correct or did I miss something? I didn't have my glasses with me or I would have read the manual.

In other words, where I can now raise and lower the front and rear of the the current 993 seat cushion independently, with the 996 seats there does not seem to be a way to do that. Is that right?

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:27 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 202 Posts

I have the 996 manual sport seats and yes, that is normal. Once you pull the lever the whole seat shoots up. In order to lower it you have to pull the lever up and the press the seat bottom down with your body (butt). I think you can still lower the front or back part of the seat bottom by putting more pressure on each end when you pull the lever up. I always keep mine flat all the way at the bottom so I haven't played with those functions too much. Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

The car I sat in was at my friend's shop and I didn't feel comfortable monkeying around in someone else's car without the owner's permission.

The 993 seats have a central pivoting bolt mid cushion on the seat frame which allows the cushion to work independently, guess I'm trying to find out if the 996 seats do as well.

Thank you.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:42 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I don't remember if they did when I installed them. To be honest, when I first installed them I didn't know how to lower the damned seat. I drove the car with it all the way up and felt like I was 7' tall.

I even posted in the 996 forum asking for help and reviewing the thread now looks like there is a pivoting element based on the diagrams: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...djustment.html
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ilko,

That diagram is not in my seat Katalog.

Unless I'm missing it, from the diagram there does not appear to be a hinge mechanism for the rear to raise independently. The fixed shock attachment at the rear (not a multi-link) makes me think it cannot, unless the whole cross-shaft pivots.

The seat I tried, as it raised, it came forward as well. I like all the legroom I can get, and like headroom as well. In the 993 I've moved the rails back as far as I can w/o a special kit, and it fits me just right.

I probably should have posted this on the 996 forum, but figured many of you have done the seat swap and would know.

Maybe I'll revisit the shop tomorrow and contact the owner, and see if he minds me playing a little with his seats to see if I like them

Thank you very much for your interest and help.

Regards,
Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Sure, glad I could help. JMO, it's not worth installing the comfort 996 seats. If you find a set of 996 sport seats go for it but otherwise I wouldn't bother. You can get leather dye and recondition your current ones.

Quick Reply: 996 Manual Seat Height Adjustment in a 993 Question Please