993 Forum 1995-1998

Sudden and fast oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:14 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Please do elaborate on the above, rather definitive statement.
A given engine is designed to run on X quantity of oil. The engine is filled to X+N capacity (N=unknown quantity of motor oil). Shortly after it is filled with X+N quantity, engine begins leaking oil. Prescription: verify, before proceeding with any other diagnoses, that quantity of oil in engine is within the designated range.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It appears to be quite a quantity of oil. If the pan "overfills" it is typically not a small valve cover leak but we are speculating again. Get the cover off (and watch for a quantity of oil in there) and locate the origin.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:31 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
A given engine is designed to run on X quantity of oil. The engine is filled to X+N capacity (N=unknown quantity of motor oil). Shortly after it is filled with X+N quantity, engine begins leaking oil. Prescription: verify, before proceeding with any other diagnoses, that quantity of oil in engine is within the designated range.
You've managed to say absolutely nothing. Please do explain how a minor overfill could cause a leak.

No need to be pedantic at all.

Last edited by KaiB; 12-22-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

So I'm wondering- when you added oil, did you fill too fast, and some ended up overflowing in the tray? Seems like the likeliest to me.

Also, you over-filled a couple of weeks ago, and already had to add oil again? These cars shouldn't use that much oil. Unless you drove thousands of miles.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
a minor overfill
How do you know this? Since you seem to know, tell us - how many extra quarts were added?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
How do you know this? Since you seem to know, tell us - how many extra quarts were added?
Merry Christmas; get over yerself.

I tend to agree with Ed on this one. An overfill will not promulgate an engine leak until severe lockup occurs - and long before that point symptoms should have been recognized.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:40 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

When someone says it never leaked before and has an engine tray still in place I always wonder if its leaked slightly for some time but the tray collected the leak and the driver never noticed. just a thought. these cars often seep a bit of oil given their age (not just mileage) valve covers and timing chain covers are the first place to start. good luck with the search!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No dog in this fight, but since everyone else is speculating I'll add my experience with an overfill when I first bought my car.

An overfill will not add more oil to the "pan", there is no oil pan, this is a dry sump engine. The extra oil is in the oil tank and will be forced through the breather into the intake where it will then collect and leak from the intake manifold, be burned through the engine and ,IMO, contribute to carbon buildup in the ports and combustion chamber helping clog the exhaust ports. This is just an opinion but I think the reason some people do not suffer from the SAI problems as early as others is because they don't overfill the car and the ports don't clog until the guides wear out. If you keep the oil at the top of the dipstick IMO it is overfull, especially in the winter months.

My car (along with others that have posted similar results) will "burn/use" oil down to the halfway point on the dipstick then it will stay there until the next oil change. I tried keeping it at the full mark when I got it but then noticed oil dripping from the intake. Disassembled and cleaned the intake and now keep it at the halfway mark and the intake has stayed oil free.

Your leak probably has little to do with the overfill and more to do with a combination of leaks over time.

Pull the tray and have a look. (my god I agree with QC )
Old 12-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I've only seen the word pan used once here, most are using the word tray, which he still looks to have in place.

He mentions specifically that it is not smoking. One would assume, IMO, that no oil got ingested into the intake.

Originally Posted by rsr91128
No dog in this fight, but since everyone else is speculating I'll add my experience with an overfill when I first bought my car.

An overfill will not add more oil to the "pan", there is no oil pan, this is a dry sump engine. The extra oil is in the oil tank and will be forced through the breather into the intake where it will then collect and leak from the intake manifold, be burned through the engine and ,IMO, contribute to carbon buildup in the ports and combustion chamber helping clog the exhaust ports. This is just an opinion but I think the reason some people do not suffer from the SAI problems as early as others is because they don't overfill the car and the ports don't clog until the guides wear out. If you keep the oil at the top of the dipstick IMO it is overfull, especially in the winter months.

My car (along with others that have posted similar results) will "burn/use" oil down to the halfway point on the dipstick then it will stay there until the next oil change. I tried keeping it at the full mark when I got it but then noticed oil dripping from the intake. Disassembled and cleaned the intake and now keep it at the halfway mark and the intake has stayed oil free.

Your leak probably has little to do with the overfill and more to do with a combination of leaks over time.

Pull the tray and have a look. (my god I agree with QC )
Old 07-25-2015, 03:50 PM
CHJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ce_hensley
I've noticed a sudden oil leak - meaning the engine never leaked a single drop up to 50,000 miles - and then one day after coming home from the shop I noticed small amounts of oil on the garage floor.

Two things happened concurrently which may have contributed to this and I'm looking for advice. The first thing is the shop visit where they checked my AC out, adding some refrigerant I believe. The very first leaking began for sure when I parked it after this visit.

The other thing that happened a week or two before this is that I overfilled the oil. I was concerned about that and I read the posts about this, but felt there was little risk in problems, so I didn't suck any oil out - just let it ride.

So now the leak is pretty substantial. The engine cover looks oily with oil leaking from more than one of the holes. There is no smoking or much smell of burning oil out of the ordinary. In the bottom picture, the oil in the foreground is from a 24 hour period, after taking the car out, warming it up yesterday, adding oil to end of twist on dipstick and then parking overnight. The older "puddle" is from about 3 months not being driven.

How bad might this be? How minimal might this be? Merry Christmas to me right?
Did you ever find the source of the leak?

Chuck
Old 07-25-2015, 04:49 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

No follow up by the OP? Must be a non-issue... Next!

Quick Reply: Sudden and fast oil leak