Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do they even make Akebono brake pads for our 993's? LOVE'em on my Bimmer...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Do they even make Akebono brake pads for our 993's? LOVE'em on my Bimmer...

Yes, I realize there are other brake pads other than Akebonos that some of you folks are using instead of OEM. I did a search for Akebonos and came up with only 1 thread and not one person said they used them on their 993. I'm guessing they don't make them for our car?

I found this post on a Lexus forum I was perusing. Yes, one of these days I might buy a used LS 460 SWB but that's a long, long way off. I enjoy reading the LS460 forum to keep up on things though in case I'd want one one day. The day both my cars need like $5k each to fix them at the same time I may be jumping ship somewhere else! It might be a Lexus or some other marque but like I said, that's not even in the distant future.

Ok, so back to my topic... I found what this one gent wrote. Keep in mind, this was written for the Lexus, not our cars of course, but you get the idea.

Brake dust isn't really a HUGE problem on my 993, but they definitely get dirty fairly fast compared to the Ake's I have on my BMW.

Here's the posts - this may at least help someone that has another type of car with lots of brake dust that could get Akebonos for that if not their 993.

"I have used Akebono ceramic pads successfully on many vehicles. From Mercury Gran Marquis', Ford Crown Vics, on a Jag Vanden Plas, on a MB SL500, to Ford F150's and now my LS460.

What most people do not understand is that AKEBONO holds two VERY distinctive Advantages for these type of brake pads:

-- 1) They INVENTED the Ceramic brake pad !

-- 2) They ARE the O.E. supplier to the MAJORITY of new car manufacturers who install these on the cars they build. No other brake pad manufacturer company can say this (Altho several do try - falsely)..

Subsequently, AKEBONO makes and sells MORE ceramic pads per year than any other company.

And the reason they do this is because the pads are simply THAT GOOD.

To repeat myself, these pads shine in:

1) Stopping power
2) Low to NO brake dusting
3) No squeal operation.

Yesterday I found what must be the LOWEST price anywhere on AKEBONO brake pads.

First, the necessary disclaimer(s): Please understand, I am new to this forum, and yet I do NOT work for AKEBONO nor "The Place for Brakes." I do not have any affiliation nor investment in either of these companies nor am I being compensated for these remarks. I just believe this strongly in my feelings. Lastly, I am not being compensated in any way for this or any other similar posting. All I wanna do actually is get out on my lake and bass fish for Large Mouths.

So yesterday I discovered a company and website that I had never previously found for supplying AKEBONO pads at a great price. It's called "The Place for Brakes" (Miami, FL).

Here is the web link:

http://www.placeforbrakes.com/produc...&car_year=2008

Fronts are $ 59.90 (pair)
Rears are $ 50.37 (pair)

Other years MIGHT differ slightly. No sales tax (outside Fla) and the prices include FREE shipping.

I hope this helps someone else.

Best Wishes to all ........"

He added this later...

"The AKEBONO's come "pre-shimmed" from the factory. So the work has been done for you, and you do not need to concern yourself with that.

Additionally, inside each box is lubricant, provided courtesy of your new friends @ AKEBONO.

The only advice AKEBONO or their dealers offer is to either "resurface" the rotors or to use new ones - depending on your vehicle's particular situation.

Please keep in mind ..... There are many people who obtain Superior braking performance and component life using NON-premium rotors. About 10 years ago there could be a better case made for using premium rotors. But that is not necessarily true today. If ya feel better using the top brand ($$$), make yourself happy. But please know it does NOT insure superior performance.

Good luck to all .......... We hope this information proves useful to many good members here."

and this...

"Based on some of the questions bring asked ........ It appears some people really aren't "getting it."

AKEBONO is the "O.E" (Original Equipment) supplier to NEW car manufacturers worldwide.

It somewhat boggles one's mind that Lexus on an upscale model such as the LS430, and now the LS460, does not INCLUDE ceramic pads on the vehicle new. But tons of other car manufacturers do across the globe. NO OTHER company sells as many CERAMIC pads as AKEBONO each year.

So...Yes ! AKEBONO work superbly on OE original Lexus rotors. You MIGHT wish to get your own rotors re-surfaced for the best possible performance. Altho it is NOT mandatory.

Since AKEBONO is the largest "O.E" supplier worldwide, they concentrate their efforts marketing-wise on NEW car manufacturers. And that is why you might never have heard of them previously.

But AKEBONO INVENTED this process, and they make MORE ceramic pads than anyone else - PERIOD !

Again...I have no affiliation whatsoever with this company. I am just a big believer in their products.

And frankly, I am tired of washing my LS460 - or needing to - after about 50 miles of driving - just to clean my wheels (from black brake dust)."

and lastly, this:

"My wheels are as clean as a newborn baby's bottom - Or at least a VERY CLEAN diaper ! We have had ours installed on our LS460 for the past month + or so.

What else can we tell you ? This company total reputation is simple: They ORIGINALLY designed the very first ceramic brake pad system - and has since that time manufactured these on an OEM basis for all of the high-end car companies.

1) They stop you on a dime.
2) They leave your wheels spotless - or virtually so.
3) They do not hurt your rotors.
4) And your braking remains as smooth as when your vehicle was new.

We have them on all of our cars - and always will. These are one of the really great little "gems" in automotoring ==> They work with NO EXCUSES !

PS - AKEBONOS come "pre-shimmed" in the box, and a small amount of "lube" is also included. NOTHING else to purchase or worry about !"
Old 12-10-2011, 01:03 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

My only exposure to Akebono pads is on my wife's '07 XC90. We purchased the car new and within months I was ready to just spray paint the wheels black. The front brake dust was just terrible. So I hopped on a Volvo forum, found out that these pads are the ticket, and then ordered front & rear sets. Installed them the same day they arrived and never had another issue with accumulated brake dust. She can drive a month without a car wash (rarely happens) and the wheels are no dirtier than the rest of the car.

The only negative is a small reduction in initial 'bite'. Not enough to dull my enthusiasm for the pads. The factory pads, by comparison, had an amazing bite.

Hope that helps.

Andreas
Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Akebono fan

after owning a 325 BMW with the worst OEM/jurid pads ever made we bought a Mini Cooper that being owned/made by BMW had similar pads that shed hot brake dust and particles destroying the rims, I bought Akebono pads. Not only do those OEM pads cover your wheels with brake dust in a matter of a few miles, it is very hot and pits and ruins the paint itself on the rims.
Akebono pads do not cover the rims with that destructive dust and seem to perform well. The pads on my 88 3.2 and 993 are not that dust producing but if they were I would not want to ruin my Fuchs or cup rims and would opt for a low dust pad such as the akebonos. They had less "bite" at first but after bedding them they seemed more than willing to stop the mini and BMW well.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Steve,

I've not found any Akebono's for these cars, however we've had very good luck with Mintex pads for people who complain about dust. These are inexpensive and leave no dust while offering very good stopping performance, once they are fully bedded.

Drop me a note for details.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:50 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 278 Posts

Me too.....I was sick of the black dust on the bimmer's wheels just from backing out of the long driveway. I swapped to these and I'm very happy with its performance. It has about 9/10 of the initial bite of OE bmw pads, but stops the car just as well, and almost no fade after repeated stopping.

Quick Reply: Do they even make Akebono brake pads for our 993's? LOVE'em on my Bimmer...