Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hunting for 993--How do I get it home??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:27 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Depends on the seller. When i bought the turbo, the seller allowed me to drive it home 100+ miles with just a $2000 deposit. I had a chance to inspect the car in my own shop and closed the deal 3 days later.

My plan was always, if i could find a car close enough, was to drive it home!
Some people are too trusting but obviously he was lucky he had a stand-up buyer
Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian:

Check the DMV website for your home state and the state in which the seller resides, for availability of temporary tags. Arrange insurance in your home state, and then away you go. Your home state may allow you to transfer a plate from an existing car to another, for a short period of time.

I bought from a Rennlister in Salt Lake City, had a PPI done, flew down, and drove home 1,500 km. It was a lot of fun.

These cars are really tough and really reliable, so the chance of a break down with a well cared for car, is remote.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:41 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you guys are over-thinking this too much. Talk with your insurance company and find out what coverage you have. In my case I have up to 30 days to add a car after purchase so I add the car after I get home. Otherwise, buy the car and drive it home. I've done multiple fly/drives and never worried about plate issues. Longest was from NY to CA. If you get stopped you have (or should have) current tag, the title in your possession, and a copy of your insurance card, so unless the car is stolen you aren't going to get hassled for registration.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:52 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an insurance binder.Require the seller to leave there tags in place until you get it registered.Mail the tags back to the seller.If the seller wants let them put you on there insurance policy for the three days.Pay the insurance costs of the seller if any.Drive home.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:58 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I live in Toronto and I bought my car in Philadelphia. I did that inspection in Philadelphia before I came down to pick up the car. I paid the seller in advance of picking up the car. He was a Rennlister and trustworthy. Drove the car home 700 miles. Got stopped along the way in New York by Ranger. No problem. The seller let me keep his plates on the car and once I returned home I couriered them back to him
Old 12-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a seller, I would be concerned about leaving my license plate on a car being driven home by the purchaser. While the laws differ from state to state and province to province, there is the risk that if there is an accident, the registered owner, as well as the driver, will be sued.

Litigators are a cautious lot, and it is easier to drop a defendant from an action, than add one.

And even if you de register the car on the date of the sale, the plate can be tracked back to you, and you could still be drawn in.

Another factor is that once you have sold the car, title to it has passed to the purchaser, you have no insurable interest, and your own carrier may deny coverage even though you have not cancelled the policy.

It might be possible for the purchaser to temporarily add the seller as an insured on his policy, but there is still risk, as there may be under coverage, or the purchaser may be in breach of the policy.

When I sell a vehicle, I remove the plate and immediately de-register it.

Last edited by Rinty; 12-11-2011 at 02:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Hunting for 993--How do I get it home??