Sponsored by:

Taking the third brake light off

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:34 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Taking the third brake light off

Is this something I really shouldn't do? I would like to replace the rear screen rubber outer seal, and it looks like the third light needs to come off to be able to pull the seal out.
Has anyone done this? I did search before you ask, but all I found was fitting a new one, bulbs and LEDs. Nothing about removing to do this.
TIA
Graham
Old 12-09-2011, 04:33 AM
Polman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see the third brake light as a good security, the standard brake light is not very visible so
I ´m afraid to get hit in my *** at red lights.
If you remove it, you will still have 2 ugly fasteners glued to the glass…..
Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not removing it for good. I wanted to see if I can get the widow seal off and managed to work it out. Gave it a good tug and the cover came off.
The rest is easy.
Cheers
Old 12-09-2011, 05:07 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

-you pull the third brake light cache upwards from one side, slowly to liberate the small clips, and the other side will come off whilst you higher your hand.
-in the middle of the third brake light assembly, you will see two brown electrical cables tugged in a groove.
liberate the electric cables from the groove, I do not unplug them myself, but you can if you want.
-on each side of the third brake light base, there is a 10mm nut holding the base over a spring loaded metal.
-undo the nuts from each side and LOOK at the direction of the Z shaped tension plates under the nuts.
The way they go in is opposite than the logic, make sure you replace them as they were when mounting.
-I usually place a tshirt n the rear screen, and remove the brake light base from the prongs, and lay it lower on the tshirt.
-pull the old seal out.
-clean the windscreen under the third brake light, and where need be.
- take the new seal, and locate the point of junction or where it is welded together.
-this junction should be in the middle TOP of the screen, just where the electric cables are...
-Start with your thumb and clip the seal into the groove for about 20 centimeters from center, and go to the other side and press 20 cms as well.
-Now pull and elongate slightly the loose unmounted seal, and clip it just before the upper corner, and seat the seal with your thumb going backwards to the center, do both sides.
-Most important part---insert and seat the seal on each upper corner by doing the reverse of pulling, as if
you want to condense the seal at this area.
-To explain- The most exposed area of the seal is not the bottom corners to me, it is the upper corners.
If you place the seal just like that, and press it just as it comes, you will be left with a perfect looking seal, but with two openings on the upper corners that you don't see. They will be there at an angle, and the seal never sits on the metal.
-So do 20 cms from center both sides, pull and press new point of seal, just before corner, go back pressing the seal until the first 20 cms.
-press and fit seal on both upper corners, giving seal as much as it takes.
-do 20 cms after both upper corners
- pull slightly and seat seal just before bottom corners
-seat seal going back
-do corners seal not stretched
-seat seal horizontally on bottom
-check back all seal areas, and tuck with thumb bubbled areas, all top of seal should be straight.
-mount third brake light not forgetting to center the light by the top corners of the screen, should be around 8mm from metal on each side.

Quick Reply: Taking the third brake light off