Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: looking to purchase a 1990 560sec...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:53 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts
Default OT: looking to purchase a 1990 560sec...

Anyone have any experience with these cars, have always loved them especially these coupes and the missing b pillar. Will be using as a daily driver in NYC.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful cars...I had a 560 SEL for a while and was not near the car that the SEC is.

Rear suspension is Hydraulic with "air bladders" for reservoir...at least it was on the SEL. It produced a pretty stiff ride from the rear and the handling was boat like. The engine is pretty thirsty. Again, the SEC is a much cooler car and may be worth the extra fuel.

Let us know what happens!!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by 2qwik4u
Anyone have any experience with these cars, have always loved them especially these coupes and the missing b pillar. Will be using as a daily driver in NYC.

Thanks
They are pretty solid cars really. Depending on mileage you might need a new timing chain and from what I've gathered, head gaskets can also be a weak spot.

The vaccum trannies can also be a bit sensitive. If it takes a long time to engage drive or reverse, it could mean some more significant issues. From what I've hear, reverse has a tendency to go first. Something about a k2 band or something.

Obviously with a 20+ year old car, you are going to be looking for rust, rotted suspension bushings, etc. The 560 should have the hydraulic SLS (self leveling suspension) and the nitrogen spheres can leak/break or whatever and then you end up with a ride like bricks. When its working its not bad.

The rest of the stuff is pretty standard on old benzs. window regulators, some minor electrical glitches, stuff like that.

They are generally pretty solid cars, but I'm not sure I'd want to use one as a daily in NYC. With the idiot cab drivers, retarded out-of-towners, and clueless blackberrying pedestrians, I'd want something with some better brakes and a few more air bags.

I've always liked these cars, but to be honest, they aren't all that enjoyable to drive.

Quick Reply: OT: looking to purchase a 1990 560sec...