Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire shop f'ed up my rim..what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tire shop f'ed up my rim..what should I do?

I didn't notice til I got home because it was raining hard when I picked up car so I just got in and drove away. Damage is on lip of wheel however it's in the center around lug nuts as if rim was dropped or placed upside down on floor.
I tried calling however they were closed by the time I noticed.
Btw the damage is very noticeable.
What's the best way to approach this?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 08:03 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bummer...you bust your butt keeping the car pristine, and someone (needlessly/carelessly) messes it up. Stinks.

I just went through this situation with a body shop...that put a tear in my cabriolet top (I know--doesn't make sense, right?). I had just detailed the car the night before bringing it in, so I KNEW there was no tear. Shop had car for a couple of weeks.

I would recommend talking to the owner/manager (immediately), and tell them your observation of the wheel when you got home. Explain how you knew it wasn't there when you dropped it off, and it's there now. I would caution against you suggesting the first potential solution. Once you've shared your info, try being quiet--and letting the other speak first. You'll see the tack he's going to take. Hopefully, they stand up and make it right.

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:03 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 561 Posts

Go back to the shop, show the manager the damage and ask for them to pay for the damage to be fixed by a wheel repair/body shop. Hopefully they are reputable enough to make you "whole".....

If you have any pre-work photos of the wheel - that may assist you, take them with you to present your case.......

MODST IMPORTANTLY.......Contact your credit card that you used (hopefully versus cash) and stop payment immediately.............that will give you some leverage versus none at all...........
Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I hate leaving my cars anywhere.

I would speak with the owner of the shop in a very nice way and hope he is receptive to paying for the refinishing.

BTW- I always ask to speak to the techs doing the work and mention this fact regarding Porsche rims. I tip the guy $25 before he does the work, and if everything is perfect I give him another $25
Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly, don't call your CC company right away and put in a dispute. You have plenty of time to do that and that's saved for when you need to escalate. Hopefully, the shop will take care of it. If despite your best efforts they won't, then you can crank it up a level or two. The problem with the CC dispute is you are going to have a hard time tying the two issues together. Disputes are usually for when you are not in agreement on the amount. In this case, you signed the invoice / CC slip, so in that way you were in agreement. The best the CC dispute can probably do for you is be a deterrent. Meaning, do your best to work it out and if after best efforts they won't step up, then you can use the whole "Well, you've given me no choice but to file with the State Dept. of Consumer Protection, BBB, and have your CC company put the entire charge into dispute..." Often that will help get it done.

Hopefully your angst over this, and our suggestions, will be unfounded and tomorrow they will apologize for the damage and for you having to come back, but that they will take care of it and repair / refinish.

The problem probably becomes matching up. It may be impossible for them to make the wheel look the same as the others, which may mean all 4 need a face refinish. Something to think about and discuss with the shop owner.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

As a matter of fact, first thing I asked was "will you be ok with these wheels" they looked at me like I had 3 heads!
I know there was no damage because I just had all my wheels completely refinished.

Nobody gives a f@$k anymore!

And yes, I pay everything with the amex, the best!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the approach that has been posted is good for resolution...

I had this happen to my Cup II rims when I had the tires removed before shipping to the new owner. I had to drop the price.

The reason this happens around the lug nuts is this area of the wheel is proud to the surface of the rim and the arm of the bead breaker on the tire machine (some of the tire machines) will scrape the wheel. I was so pissed off and could not resolve it with the shop.

I hope you have better luck!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:23 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Amex doesn't ask any questions.
Your right about matching and I doubt if they do cooperate they will fix all four. Btw if they had just nicked the wheel I probably wouldn't even bother, but trust me they look like ****!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by 2qwik4u
What's the best way to approach this?
The next time, have the shop owner walk around the vehicle with you and note any pre-existing damage...just as you do when you rent a car. Have it noted on the work order.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Bruce, why wasn't it resolved?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 PM
L741_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain, I had the same experience a couple years back on my 964. On mine, they damaged the two rear wheels, it was so obvious they could not hide it (nor did they try). They paid for them to be refinished. It was a pain, but in the end it turned out ok.

Just go in cool, tell them you are very disappointed and give them the opportunity to make it right. If that fails, take it to the next level (owner or area manager). If they have any integrity they will make it right.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 482 Posts

I just had all my wheels completely refinished.
If that is the case, then the same shop that will refinish your damaged wheel should be able to match it perfectly since I would assume they are using the same paint.

Nobody gives a f@$k anymore!
Ain't that the truth. Now you know why I do my own work. I change and balance my own motorcycle tires; I might just change my own car tires as well.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do not stop payment yet, it's your first leverage point after asking nicely. Try to work it out with the shop first. If you go in with a positive attitude they will view you as a reasonable customer who has a legit issue - and someone they want to keep as a customer for the future.
If you go in looking for a fight, they will assume you are just an a-hole Porsche owner and give you a fight.
Approach it reasonably and they should try to make it right. If they don't, then threaten the stop-payment.
As far as matching color, since you just had them re-finished, matching one should be easy. You might even want to bring your receipt for the recent re-finish to show them that you had it done, and give them a sense for the cost to re-finish the wheel.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I never leave my cars at the tire changers unattended. Even when I was watching the work being done on my Audi A3 from outside the bay the dipsh!t undid all the lugs and left the rim hanging on the hub. Needless to say the rim duly fell off from 5 feet high onto its face. Good thing the OZ ultraleggera's are strong. The douche hardly blinked and just cussed at himself, no apology. This could happen anywhere but maybe less likely at the dealer.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

That's probably what happened because damage is not scratches but more like cuts/indentations

Quick Reply: Tire shop f'ed up my rim..what should I do?