993 on tow dolly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 PM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 993 on tow dolly?

Hello all,

So I've found a 96 Targa that I anticipate on buying next week. The car is located out of state and I will need to tow it home, roughly 8hrs. I plan on renting a tow dolly to bring it back. Has anyone had experience towing these cars with a dolly? Would there be any issues?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Old 12-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

if you can rent a tow dolly, you can rent a trailer too. Hopefully it isn't the limitation of the vehicle doing the towing that concerns you.

I know U-Haul rents both trucks AND trailers-it ain't cheap considering mileage, but the car will be much safer.

just my $.02

Good luck, and congrats.

Pics when you get it.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:24 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I suspect you might be the 1st and only person to use a tow dolly on a 993. Don't do it!

As Magdaddy suggests, rent a trailer or find someone who will transport the car safely. If it is driveable, drive it home.

Mark
Old 12-03-2011, 09:14 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's another opinion to get a trailer. Keep it as safe as possible from all the snowbirds heading south on I-75 this time of year. Enjoy your new purchase!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The owners manual states the 993 must be towed with all four wheels off the ground. Please don't use a dolly.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not drive it home the 8 hours?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 AM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies!

Looks like its unanimous, no dolly. I believe I will just opt for the trailer. Using my Nissan SUV so should be ok. I was just trying to save a bit of money .

Driving it home would concern me since it wont be registered and any hidden mechanical issues it may have... Plus its been sitting for several months so I want to swap fluids etc before driving it much.

Just curious, other than the manual saying not to, what is the main reason for not using the dolly? Ground clearance? Tranny?

If all goes well I'll be bringing it home on the 7th...
Old 12-03-2011, 10:51 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmarsh39
Thanks for all the replies!

Driving it home would concern me since it wont be registered and any hidden mechanical issues it may have... Plus its been sitting for several months so I want to swap fluids etc before driving it much.
I understand these concerns. But 8 hours is like 500 miles. Get an oil change before you leave and do the other fluids (brake and tranny) when you get home.

I assume your PPI was successful, and the new purchase is road worthy to make the 500 mile trip. But a mechanical issue on this road trip would be a major bummer.

I don't think it needs to be "registered". Just have a 'bill of sale' and insured with your Insurance Company. You'll pay sales tax when you get back to your home State.

If you do it, bring a new DME relay.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Are you looking at that IRS repo up in GA?

http://www.treasury.gov/auctions/irs/higa_auto_5633.htm

Old 12-03-2011, 11:21 AM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I understand these concerns. But 8 hours is like 500 miles. Get an oil change before you leave and do the other fluids (brake and tranny) when you get home.

I assume your PPI was successful, and the new purchase is road worthy to make the 500 mile trip. But a mechanical issue on this road trip would be a major bummer.

I don't think it needs to be "registered". Just have a 'bill of sale' and insured with your Insurance Company. You'll pay sales tax when you get back to your home State.

If you do it, bring a new DME relay.
Good point on the bill of sale. What about a tag? Do you think if I'm pulled over with no tag the officer will accept the bill of sale over registration?

I'm having the car inspected the day I get there. Unfortunately I haven't been unable to source a mechanic that will go to the car, but have found a shop to drop it off with when I get there. Due to neglect I am going to assume the drive-ability of the car will be lacking.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:56 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmarsh39
Good point on the bill of sale. What about a tag? Do you think if I'm pulled over with no tag the officer will accept the bill of sale over registration?

I'm having the car inspected the day I get there. Unfortunately I haven't been unable to source a mechanic that will go to the car, but have found a shop to drop it off with when I get there. Due to neglect I am going to assume the drive-ability of the car will be lacking.
A bill of sale will suffice to some law enforcement but the FHP is a bit more hard-nosed than local cops and a tag should be on your car. Not having a tag, especially on a high profile Porsche, sends up red flags to cops. Having a tag greatly reduces the odds of being stopped. Even a tag (not expired) from home will be OK as you have 10 days to get the tag properly registered. The bill of sale must have a date so you will be in this correct time frame if stopped. Otherwise you could be cited for having an 'improper tag' requiring a court appearance. Also a temp tag will work. All this is under FSS 320. I was a FL cop for 25 years and I would never hassle a 'new car' purchaser but it is best to be legal for the tough cops that would write their own mother. Have a safe trip!!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
The owners manual states the 993 must be towed with all four wheels off the ground. Please don't use a dolly.
Certainly not for a RWD 6-speed. Or flat towed. And actually why couldn't an AWD be added to the list? The good ol' days when many a car was brought to the track being flat towed...........

(And I'm glad to see we've gotten past the use-a-dolly thought.)
Old 12-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Ken, My 993 is a RWD, so I didn't check past that part.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:07 AM
SEATRA
Advanced

I own a tow dolly and have over 10K miles of mostly trouble-free towing experience with it. However, I do not recommend using it for towing a 993 or most other Porsches. Aside from any mechanical damage this tow method may cause with rear tires on the road the relatively low clearance of the 993 will pose other problems. The lower part of the front bumper/spoiler may not easily clear the front tire buckets of the dolly when it’s time to unload. Also, the strap ratchets may not have good clearance under the front of the car and it may be difficult to fully extend the handle when it’s time to unlock and loosen the nylon strap. Additionally, when the car is loaded and the dolly ramp/tire bucket assembly is locked in the “tow position” the car rocker panel area will come very close to the dolly tire ramps and may possibly rake across the ramps while you are making left or right turns. Finally, you cannot back the dolly when loaded and it’s difficult at best to back unloaded.

Auto Transport trailer is best way to go!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would definitely check with your insurance agent about the correct procedure if driving it home. I know that having only a bill of sale and a tag that doesnt match the RMV database will get your hands on the hood (trunk) here in Massachusetts.

Quick Reply: 993 on tow dolly?