Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Emissions PASSED - no cat! :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Quick update on my part. Despite being able to pass last year without a cat, I couldn't repeat the magic this year. I think the trick of passing last year was taking the car on a Monday after a weekend at the track where all the build up in the engine gets blown out. Our local track closed and I've been too busy this year to travel, so I tried the old Italian tune-up approach twice but to no avail. Put the cat back on it passed fine. I'm gonna leave it off for now...
Old 11-05-2012, 04:14 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
Ed,

Your avatar is the true inspiration here! That kid with a ****-eatin' grin like he's about to hit that tight little package behind him! CLASSIC!!!!
I think it isn't that, "he's about to hit that tight little package"... More like he just got finished hittin that tight little cupcake...Notice her, I've just been dishoveled by a little redhead look
Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,501 Likes on 1,061 Posts
Default Not sure what all the hullaballoo is about.

Not sure what all the hullaballoo is about. Here in Virginia if the light is not lit on the dash you pass and are good-to-go!
Back in Ohio they were still doing unnecessary tail pipe tests because a political crony had the plum multi-year inspection contract, so the state didn’t not want to shut him down.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I am amazed the Cali stations don't do a visual when you guys roll in there mega loud...
Old 11-05-2012, 09:17 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The smog place I went to last year first opened the front looking for the engine and then said I was missing my engine cover as he finally went to the back. Good grief, who doesn't know a 911 engine is in the back. So I doubt he knows where the cat is located.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
Im in a great mood today! I passed my emissions test without my catalytic converter. This is the first year I had to update my sticker and I didn't want to have to deal with putting the cat back on just so I could pass inspection.

I do know for a fact that my combustion chamber and my entire exhaust system is squeaky clean. Credit goes to my very high speed driving. I am fortunate to live in a state where there are thousands and thousands of miles of remote roads with no police officers; truly a spectacular place to explore the boundaries of your car. I love not having a cat, I love how the engine breathes and how it sounds. My mechanic says that the overall health of the engine is improved without the cat, he says its like having a potato in your tail pipe.

So much for government regulation huh? Goes to show you that the cat is not essential to pass an emissions test. I'd like to think that having a carbon-free rear end, due to my spirited driving may have something to do with my good news today.

What do you guys think? Can a "no-cat-itallian-tune-up" be a contributing factor?

Feeling great! I passed!

What cat bypass system do you have in place? Is it a gutted Porsche cat or something else?

I don't live to far from you and would love to run without a cat but afraid I'd fail the visual inspection.

Also, what year is your car? OBD I or OBD II?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketJohn
I am amazed the Cali stations don't do a visual when you guys roll in there mega loud...
A visual is always done. I have failed tests on cars in the passed that easily passed by numbers but failed on the visual.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

pirahna, next time I'm in NoCal on biz we'll have to meet for breakfast at Santa Cruz Diner so you can show me your car... I have met cuneesity from AdvRider there in years past...

Last edited by RocketJohn; 11-06-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketJohn
pirahna, next time I'm in NoCal on biz we'll have to meet for breakfast at Santa Cruz Diner so you can show me your car... I have met curiosity from AdvRider there in years past...
Absolutely, anytime! We could even invite cuneesity to join us and see if he picks up the check.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 AM
RocketJohn
Pro

Haha! I will make sure the gang is all there...

We have an office in San Jose, maybe I should move out there... I could deal with commuting a few days a week up and down 17
Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Guess I'll ask again ...

What cat bypass system do you have in place? Is it a gutted Porsche cat or something else?

I don't live to far from you and would love to run without a cat but afraid I'd fail the visual inspection.

Also, what year is your car? OBD I or OBD II?

Quick Reply: Emissions PASSED - no cat! :)