Sponsored by:

Big Red Brake Upgrade kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:01 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
mts - to clarify what Andreas is saying, you can get your calipers powder coated to look like his (I am doing this over the winter) but good luck getting your wheel well to look like his

Hey John,

Who have you sourced to do your powder coating? And, are you going to do as Andreas did and have all metal parts zinc chromate plated? If so, are you doing that locally as well? And, finally, what does Sunset get for the piston kits?

My car is up in the air right now waiting for me to find time to change out the clutch slave.

Lastly, I did not see your name on the ordering list for one of the SAI "test" kits that were just introduced. Opportune for me since I just failed emissions because of the SAI plugging issue. Another job to do over the holidays!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:13 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by techman1
MTS Me thinks the first two replies were leading questions, to provide help later. Meant to go something like this:

Why? Are you going to track the car only?

Your reply was supposed to be something like- Nope just like the looks, or Well, someone told me it was necessary on the track.

And then Ed or one of the really helpful folks would have replied: "Wait till you visit the track a few times, the stock setup is quite good"

Just trying to help...
Exactly. I guess some people are overly sensitive. I'd thought of doing the same upgrade but the $$ outlay didn't make sense from a performance perspective, at least for street use which is what my car sees. I'd researched the upgrade and most reports from people who had made the switch said it wasn't worth it, and that the stock calipers are actually pretty good.
No offense was meant and the original reply was merely intended to be an opening to further discussion from people far better equipped to answer with firsthand experience......I'll go get me coat.....
Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I guess I will join the fray on this one and be prepared to be flamed: I agree with the OP and Kika. The first two responders offered no advice to the OP. They only asked questions which could be perceived as critism. Now, if they had said something like "Sunset (or whoever) is a good place to start, but why the upgrade, the stock brakes are great" then I would be siding with them and saying the OP is overly sensitive. As it is, their replies offered no assistance.

Frankly, to each his own. If somebody posted a question asking where they could get their calipers powder coated hot pink, I would tell them the best powder coater I know. Of course, I would be thinking "Hot pink?! Really?!"
Old 11-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
I guess I will join the fray on this one and be prepared to be flamed: I agree with the OP and Kika. The first two responders offered no advice to the OP. They only asked questions which could be perceived as critism. Now, if they had said something like "Sunset (or whoever) is a good place to start, but why the upgrade, the stock brakes are great" then I would be siding with them and saying the OP is overly sensitive. As it is, their replies offered no assistance.

Frankly, to each his own. If somebody posted a question asking where they could get their calipers powder coated hot pink, I would tell them the best powder coater I know. Of course, I would be thinking "Hot pink?! Really?!"
for the boobies... of course.... I Love Boobies! boy have we really detoured from the OP.

I guess a logical question is, does the OP want new Big Reds or are used ones acceptable?

for new, i would think Sunset, maybe Pelican, Vertex are where I would start, perhaps FDM can source them?

for used, I would look to the various dismantlers, Parts Haven, LA PD, Oklahoma Foreign

maybe PCA or POC classifieds?
Check out an Excellence magazine, there are plenty of ads.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

here is a set on the bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...sories&vxp=mtr

more kits that came up on search: http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....parts&CID=5640

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...Big_Brake_Kits

Quick Reply: Big Red Brake Upgrade kit