Sponsored by:

Got Gas...Got Locked Out...Got Ilko

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:21 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Gas...Got Locked Out...Got Ilko

As Ilko and I were fueling up yesterday morning in anticipation of our day long run up to Saratoga/Lake George, I turned off my car, left the key in the ignition and closed the door. After filling up I found myself locked out; somehow the car locked itself. Probably 90% of the time I do take my key with me but occasionally leave it inside, knowing/thinking that 993's don't lock by themselves. Thank goodness I had Ilko to drive me home and retrieve the other key. Much appreciated there!

So my question is twofold; one, what would cause the car to lock itself and two has this ever happened to anyone else?
Old 11-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know why your car locked, but a bigto Mr. Ilko for the save.

Mike
Old 11-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Never experienced it myself but heard enough stories. Only time I leave the key in the car with windows closed is when the car is getting washed in the driveway, spare is in the house. I do leave the key in at the gas station sometimes but put the window down first.

No idea why or how but with the Immobilizer not much surprises me. The only people I think that system deters is we owners.

A hearty to Ilko.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:56 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Weak battery? Dirty contacts in the ignition switchgear?

Sounds very odd , especially with the key inserted in the ignition.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:34 PM
user 70801213
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car should auto lock if you unlock with remote, then don't open the door, after some fixed time has past....2 minutes or so. In your case it should not have happened.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is something I've been concerned about; thanks for posting.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, happened to me once, with the car running!! Fortunately one of the windows was down. Still no idea what happened.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know. I leave the key in all of the time.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:34 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

That was really weird. We were both looking at the car as the gas was being pumped, then as soon as it was done and the pump went click the car locked! I thought it may have had something to do with the knock of the pump against the car or something similar.

I'm considering cutting a key and keeping it inside the tail light lens or taping it inside the fog light duct. That way I can unlock the car with just a philips head screwdriver Obviously it won't be very useful to a thief since that key only gains access to the inside but without the remote you can't start it. Just a thought.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:37 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
That was really weird. We were both looking at the car as the gas was being pumped, then as soon as it was done and the pump went click the car locked! I thought it may have had something to do with the knock of the pump against the car or something similar.

I'm considering cutting a key and keeping it inside the tail light lens or taping it inside the fog light duct. That way I can unlock the car with just a philips head screwdriver Obviously it won't be very useful to a thief since that key only gains access to the inside but without the remote you can't start it. Just a thought.
Ilko,

Not a bad idea. You can also use those magnetic hide away key holders and stick it inside the wheel well where you can find some sheetmetal.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess instead of a spare, we should all just carry an ilko.

Marc
Old 11-20-2011, 11:05 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

You know you're important when your name becomes a noun.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:45 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might have it figured out or at least a connection. I noticed on a few occasions after this incident that the interior lights did not always turn on even though they were in the middle position. I subsequently realized when opening the driver's side door, the locking mechanism didn't release as well. So I'm thinking the little "nub" in the door jamb might have stuck and the system wasn't recognizing an open door. That would explain why the passenger door didn't unlock and possibly the system "tricked itself" into re-locking the driver's side door as well. I'm actually going to try and simulate this scenario...with the spare key in hand.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

You know you're important when your name becomes a noun.
even more so when you become a verb, as in ilkoing, i.e. the kind act of helping a stranded Rennlister.

Years ago, we coined Caganizing after Alex Cagan had spent many hours hand polishing his wheels. thereafter the act of handpolishing for hours on end became known as Caganizing
Old 11-21-2011, 12:56 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I'd definitely put some WD-40 on that door sensor.

I agree with the other poster. If you unlock a locked car, via the remote, but then don't open the door, she will 'self lock' within 2 mins. or so.

When I bought the car from the PO, he gave me a black hard-plastic key - which he called the 'valet key'. I always keep it in my wallet - it's no wider than a credit card.

Gerry

Quick Reply: Got Gas...Got Locked Out...Got Ilko