993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil Change 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:04 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I guess either way is fine, but those lines and fittings always make me nervous wrt rounding or stripping those fittings.
Maybe you're thinking of another oil line.

The oil line at the filter is held in by an M8 hex head bolt with a 13 mm head. It doesn't even have to be all that tight as all it is doing is holding the oil line in place...the two O-rings on the barrel of the oil line create the seal.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Maybe you're thinking of another oil line.

The oil line at the filter is held in by an M8 hex head bolt with a 13 mm head. It doesn't even have to be all that tight as all it is doing is holding the oil line in place...the two O-rings on the barrel of the oil line create the seal.
you're right, i was thinking of a different line...since I've never had to remove this one, I didn't remember how it was attached.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go for it, too. It is a tedious task but it is a great way to get to know your car. I have never taken off the oil return tube. What I like to do for the smaller filter is loosen it a bit and punch a bunch of holes in it with an awl and let it drain out for a while. Then I can maneuver it around the tube without spilling a drop down my wrist and all over the driveway. Still a 2 hour chore from start to finish but worth every minute in my opinion.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For another view on one's first oil change:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...yesterday.html

JGB
Old 11-17-2011, 10:10 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not that bad. I did mine last weekend. Be sure and have a large capacity catch pan. When refilling the tank make sure and pour the oil in slowly. I zip tied a funnel to the decklid support where I could keep an eye on how fast to pour the oil in. Good luck.
Randy
Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Not a problem, as long as some monkey didn't spin the filters on tight.

Don't sweat using an implement to pry the oil line off. As Mike says, it is designed accordingly and doesn't take much exertion.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Really not that hard, just a few extra steps and yes, it is a rite of ownership. I chose to remove the oil line when I did mine. It made things easier for me and is very easy to remove due to the tab. I found that jacking the car up for the first time was the most frightening part. I concur with the dme removal in order to pump the oil around before starting the engine. I did not think to do it and the engine seemed to race more than normal and made me nervous.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to remove the oil line for 2 reasons:
To get more room, make the small filter more accessible and,
to be able to clean the mating area for the new filter and find the threaded stud without blind fumbling risking dirtying the oil seal on the new filter.

I suggest to ignore the way-to-tight recommendation to torque the bolt for tank/thermostate to 40 ft-lbs!!?? 25 ft-lbs is plenty, IMHO.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:44 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tarbender, nice looking cab. Welcome. I notice in your pic that the boot for the top is not on. Although it looks a lot cooler to run like this, apparently it is bad for the top headlineer to do this as it will separate from the top itself due to wind buffeting. When I first got my cab I was unaware of this. Wanted to make sure you knew. Have fun with your 993. You'll love it.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:08 PM
tarbender
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I heard that too but I'm just lazy. For long trips on hwy I will definitely put it on.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:18 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tarbender
Thanks. I heard that too but I'm just lazy. For long trips on hwy I will definitely put it on.
Since you are lazy (like I would be ), get you 3 big binder clips and just clip it to keep it from flapping. 10 seconds, good to go.
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2011, 03:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by randytrish
When refilling the tank make sure and pour the oil in slowly.
And if you are thinking of using the extendable accordion oil filling aid within the filler tube, don't. I installed a new one after finding my old one split...the new one split months later and oil came pouring out the side of it all over the place.

If you can't find it in place, the previous owner may have removed and chucked it. It just snaps in and then disappears within the filler tube.

If you choose to leave it in place, the reason the oil must be poured in slowly is that the extendable accordion oil filling aid has a plastic screen built into it at the end of it which slows down oil flow.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:52 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
And if you are thinking of using the extendable accordion oil filling aid within the filler tube, don't. I installed a new one after finding my old one split...the new one split months later and oil came pouring out the side of it all over the place.

If you can't find it in place, the previous owner may have removed and chucked it. It just snaps in and then disappears within the filler tube.

If you choose to leave it in place, the reason the oil must be poured in slowly is that the extendable accordion oil filling aid has a plastic screen built into it at the end of it which slows down oil flow.

And if you pull it too far, the whole thing detaches from the oil filler tube. Thankfully I wasn't filling the oil yet, only pulling the accordion tube out when it did this.

As a good oil transport bucket to the recycle place, I stole flatsixforme's idea...one of those large water cooler jugs. They are pretty cheap ($10 IIRC) and the one I found had a simple screw on cap....not going to let you turn it on its side, but good enough for basic upright transport. And you can get both an engine and gear oil change into it, possibly 2 oil changes.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:56 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
Since you are lazy (like I would be ), get you 3 big binder clips and just clip it to keep it from flapping. 10 seconds, good to go.
Got a DIY? Where do you use the clips?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:24 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
Got a DIY? Where do you use the clips?
I stole these pics from another thread.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Oil Change 993