Sponsored by:

RS LWF upgrade on a 95 993?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:16 AM
DaveHak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS LWF upgrade on a 95 993?

Im due for a clutch on my 95 993 and was wondering if I should do the RS LWF upgrade. Someone from Pelican was saying that it's not suitable for 95. Is that True?
So is it just a light flywheel? Does it come in a kit? (clutch + Flywheel)
I really wanted to do a nice mod anyway, thought i'd kill to birds with one stone.
What do you guys think?
Any input would be really appreciated!!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 AM
camlob
Pro

I have a 95 with a RS LWF. I like it but I have other mods too. I have a tuned TEC3r ecu so no problem with stalling. Others might chime in with their experiences with a chip like Steve W.

When I got mine, I just got the flywheel and some bolts from a guy in Pelican. Oh boy, I was missing so many parts. Good thing a guy from the UK helped me with getting the parts that I needed. Yes, you will need a specific clutch. I recall I had to get the one with center springs. Try to get a complete kit.

You will rev much faster and enjoy the car better. I dont however have experience with the LWF alone on a stock car.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:27 AM
luial
Instructor

I'm looking at doing both mods (LWF & ECU Tune). Can you tell us more about bout the LWF Kit and tuned ECU experience? Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 04:37 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by luial
I'm looking at doing both mods (LWF & ECU Tune). Can you tell us more about bout the LWF Kit and tuned ECU experience? Thanks
Here is the thread on my mods.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tec3r-etc.html

Search for 9Ms motec thread and look for Macca's posts. He has a LWF with a newly installed tuned ecu. I think he is in the process of sorting out idling issues.

My car had no stalling or idling issues. But a totally different build since I had ITBs.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:13 AM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm looking at doing an RS LWF/Clutch kit upgrade some time in the future as well accompanied by a SW chip... Labor aside, I'm asking how much I should be putting aside for these upgrades?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Andial sports clutch and Euro RS flywheel - it makes the 993 even more fun to drive.
To prevent engine stalling with the standard ECU I have a Rennsport Systems (Steve Weiner) engine management chip designed specifically by Steve for my engine configuration [RS camshafts, Billy Boat s/s exhaust headers].
Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 AM
MDamen
Pro

Contact Rennlist sponsors for answers.

95 chip $500
http://www.rennsportsystems.com/1aa.html

RS lightweight flywheel and clutch kit $1800
http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page607.htm

A more lively car - priceless.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

There are many, many threads on this. Bottom line: many but not all 95s have stalling problems associated with lwf. Chips seems to help most, but not all. Of the chips out there, Steve wong's seems to have more success, but not for everyone.

The compromise seems to be the andail mid-weight flywheel, which is a lwf with some weight put back on it. I bought one to put on my car, but then got a wong chip and it hardly stalls (although it does very occasionally) so it is sitting in my garage...
Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Has anyone found an "off the shelf" chip that works with the lwf and prevents stalling?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts
Default 95 LWF, et al.

+1 all the way around. Do believe either "steve's" (Wong or Weiner) ecu/chip mod will be required. Transforms car (esp with FD stage III's). Very occasional stall. If I were to start over, would probably opt for the Andial mid weight unit with the ECU mod--my guess is that would be the ticket.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MDamen
Contact Rennlist sponsors for answers.

95 chip $500
http://www.rennsportsystems.com/1aa.html

RS lightweight flywheel and clutch kit $1800
http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page607.htm

A more lively car - priceless.
+993
By far, my favorite mod. Do both of these and you'll be fine. If you have stalling issues afterward, there is probably something else wrong with your car. I realize that will not be a popular statement. But I got it from more than 1 reputable source.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:55 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Larson
+1 all the way around. Do believe either "steve's" (Wong or Weiner) ecu/chip mod will be required. Transforms car (esp with FD stage III's). Very occasional stall. If I were to start over, would probably opt for the Andial mid weight unit with the ECU mod--my guess is that would be the ticket.
I'm glad you chimed in here, Van, I've been wondering how it worked on Günter. I had the pleasure of riding in Darin's car at the FDM shop party and I couldn't believe how quick it felt, I thought he and Mark had discovered some new performance mod/package for it .. and of course there's Darin's driving "style" (flat out ..! ;-) and the Stage III's in there ... but he said it was the RS clutch/flywheel that made the power to the rear wheels feel so immediate. When SpeedArena needs a clutch ... I'm there! but she's a '98 so I digress ... again ....
Old 11-14-2011, 02:52 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Over 70% of those with LFW's on 95's stall. That is statistics on a Rennlist poll. Personally, I think its much higher. I would find it hard to believe that over 70% of 95's with LWF's have something else wrong with them. Its a proven fact that stalling occurs and the statistics support it.

After having a LWF for 7 years, 3 chip manufactures (I have had a Rennsport chip for 7 years) , at least 7 trips to the shop to try to resolve it, smoke tests ISV cleanings, tune ups, and you name it, I get the ocassional stall.

There is nothing worse than having your car stall after spending thousands of dollars on a LWF upgrade. There is not a chip on the market (including Steve W. and Steve W.) that will guarentee your vehicle will not stall.

Athough I like the response of the LWF, the next time a clutch replacement is needed Im getting rid of the LWF and going back to a DMF. Its a love hate relationship after 35,000 miles with a LWF. As far as recommending a LWF, I do not recommend this upgrade for your "average" street driver.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM
matt777
Drifting

I can tell you that the Steve Wong chip helped a lot but did not totally solve the stalling problem. It also took me some time to change my driving style which eliminated most of the rest of the stalling. The car may have stalled once or twice in the last 1000 miles. I do not depress the clutch until the engine revs are down to 1000rpm. The revs do still bounce around a bunch at idle which bugs the hell out of me. Perhaps I will talk with Steve Weiner one day and see if his chip might do a better job. I'm going to change plugs this winter and see how it goes in the spring.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matt777
I can tell you that the Steve Wong chip helped a lot but did not totally solve the stalling problem. It also took me some time to change my driving style which eliminated most of the rest of the stalling. The car may have stalled once or twice in the last 1000 miles. I do not depress the clutch until the engine revs are down to 1000rpm. The revs do still bounce around a bunch at idle which bugs the hell out of me. Perhaps I will talk with Steve Weiner one day and see if his chip might do a better job. I'm going to change plugs this winter and see how it goes in the spring.
I spent $6k on some major upgrades and 60k tune (wires, plugs, isv cleaning, ect, ect), only to drive away from the shop and have my car stall, less than a block away. That was a few years ago.

I get the same bounce with the idle and dont believe wires/plugs will resolve your issue.

Its learn to live with it or go back to a DMF.

Quick Reply: RS LWF upgrade on a 95 993?