Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help: 993 Front hood release pull handle doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Spidey 993

Default Need help: 993 Front hood release pull handle doesn't work

Last (and first) time I opened the front trunk storage hood, the hood opened but I immediately felt the tension give way and something pop off.
The tension on the lever immediately went away.

Now when pulling the handle, it will not release the front hood and no tension.

Looking further into the issue, it looks like a hook mechanism (with cable behind) that attaches into the plastic handle has come loose or broken off.

Has anyone figured out a way to open the front trunk lid without the handle as a workaround? Has anyone figure out how to fix this dang thing?

Thanks!

Last edited by Spidey 993; 04-11-2012 at 01:51 AM.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Spidey 993

Update: I got small clamp in there and pull on the wire, which opened the hood. That tells me its just the hook that detached from the plastic assembly.

Small win there, and now that the hood is open, anything I can do to create a workaround.
Original question still remains on a permanent fix for this?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good save ..... for the next time, there is a back up cable pull tucked under the left front wheel well liner: remove wheel, peel; liner back, and look for the pull handle near the AC fan/cooler. ( ditto under the left rear tail light for the engine cover back up release)

Last edited by Garth S; 11-15-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: corrected to 'LR tail light' location
The following users liked this post:
1997hmc993 (08-29-2021)
Old 11-12-2011, 09:18 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Garth S, please expound on the emergency release for the engine lid. There was a thread or two about installing an emergency release with bicycle brake cable but I'm not aware of a factory-installed one. "Inquiring minds want to know".
Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Spidey 993

Well, I'm still confused on how to fix this. Not alot of data to search on RL. Lots of take it to the dealer responses.

Maybe someone will see this who has figured out a way to reattach the hook to the pulley....?

Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tony, that handle is a barrel of fun to work on.

There is a metal pin driven into the pull handle that the end of the cable hooks on. The secret to reattaching it (if the housing is not broken) is to loosen the cable at the hood latch (front of the hood).

You will see lots of excess cable on the hood latch, the reason is you need to feed that excess cable back through the sleeve so you have enough slack inside the car to rehook the cable. You may have to remove the housing (2 allen screws through the holes you already see after removing the cover, you have to lift the handle to get the top one).

Be sure to hold your tongue just right to get it hooked and back together. Then pull the cable tight at the front latch and tighten it back up.

Below was something I posted a while ago trying to explain how to reassemble it to someone else. This won't exactly apply because you may get lucky and not have to take apart the housing, but you can see the pin hole at the very bottom picture with the red arrow going to it and the slot in the handle where the cable lies after it is hooked.
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Spidey 993

Many thanks for this RSR. It makes sense now so hopefully today I'll have some time to try to fix.

I'll post an update if so.

Thanks

Old 11-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Garth S, please expound on the emergency release for the engine lid. There was a thread or two about installing an emergency release with bicycle brake cable but I'm not aware of a factory-installed one. "Inquiring minds want to know".
IIRC, my car came with the rear emergency release installed .... if not, it was one of the many little DIY's I did 3-4 years ago ... memory fail : anyway, here's a post of the mod by another valiant 'lister.... emergency release/engine hood.

Quick Reply: Need help: 993 Front hood release pull handle doesn't work