993 Forum 1995-1998

Factory RS rear wing installation question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Factory RS rear wing installation question

I am installing a factory RS rear wing on my 993 - the small wing, not the planed wing.

According to the parts book the RS uses the stock 993's spoiler grill. On a stock 993 this grill is retained by speed nuts threaded onto plastic studs on the grill which protrude through the spoiler's frame.

My question is how does this grill attach to the RS wing? There are no holes drilled in the wing to receive the studs on the grill, although there are flats on the wing where for this. There is no way one can reach to the other side of the stud to install a speed nut since the stud ends up within the inaccessible hollow cavity of the spoiler itself on the RS.

Is one to drill the wing with tight holes for a press fit? Is double face tape involved here?

The parts PET does not help me out.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I am installing a factory RS rear wing on my 993 - the small wing, not the planed wing.

According to the parts book the RS uses the stock 993's spoiler grill. On a stock 993 this grill is retained by speed nuts threaded onto plastic studs on the grill which protrude through the spoiler's frame.

My question is how does this grill attach to the RS wing? There are no holes drilled in the wing to receive the studs on the grill, although there are flats on the wing where for this. There is no way one can reach to the other side of the stud to install a speed nut since the stud ends up within the inaccessible hollow cavity of the spoiler itself on the RS.

Is one to drill the wing with tight holes for a press fit? Is double face tape involved here?

The parts PET does not help me out.
I just glued mine down
Old 11-10-2011, 07:18 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I installed a new black insert in my stock moveable 'wing', and used 3M 'Windo-Weld' adhesive in addition to the stock fasteners. Windo-Weld is a black urethane, very much like the tenacious stuff that was on there from the factory.

Example Example

Andreas
Old 11-10-2011, 08:17 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I installed a new black insert in my stock moveable 'wing', and used 3M 'Windo-Weld' adhesive in addition to the stock fasteners. Windo-Weld is a black urethane, very much like the tenacious stuff that was on there from the factory.

Example

Andreas

I think it is that sort of adhesive which was on my Clubsport wing as it has remnants of it with the grill removed.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I just glued mine down
me too, but i used silicone to ensure it wasn't too "permanent" since i tend to change the color occasionally.

I also drilled matching holes in the tail base to mate with the "nipples" on the grill insert, it was either that or cut the nipples off and nobody wants that to happen.

Craig
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks guys.

Glue it is and nipples into freshly drilled holes. Clear silicone seems a good call for an adhesive since I may need to remove grill to re-paint wing in future as well.

It is funny that PET does not show an adhesive as a repair set part; such are the ways of limited production cars.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:12 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Bumping this thread. My factory RS kit arrived and inspected all of the pieces. Quite impressed with the quality of the spoiler. As you can see mine doesn't have any way to attach the grill to the spoiler so I assume drilling some holes and then glueing it down with some adhesive is working well for you guys who did this mod?

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2018, 01:40 AM
F18drvr
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also getting ready to do this MOD and would appreciate an update with how the adhesive worked out for those who went that route...
Old 05-22-2018, 08:55 AM
Patrik S
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I also glued mine down after I drilled matching holes in the tail base to mate with the grill nipples.

I took my lid, wing and grill to the lokal carglass shop and had them glue the grill. They have very strong and flexible glue that is hard to buy as a private person. They had the wing for a few hours.
The shop was glad to help and it was free
Old 05-22-2018, 03:00 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Those so-called speed nuts are actually just press on spring steel fasteners.

I installed mine from the underside of the wing... as they simply press on the posts protruding from the grill. Yes, corresponding holes need to be drilled into the RS wing.

No need for glue...body panel removal tools work well for removing the so-called speed nuts.

Last edited by nine9six; 05-22-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:43 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

My spoiler cavity is completely sealed, meaning it looks like two pieces of material that was fused together so there is no way to get under the mounting tab to put a clip.

Luckily jackal's site had a nice write up on it with pics including the RS sides I am doing too.

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/9...o.htm#rspoiler
Old 05-23-2018, 04:24 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by samurai_k
My spoiler cavity is completely sealed, meaning it looks like two pieces of material that was fused together so there is no way to get under the mounting tab to put a clip.

Luckily jackal's site had a nice write up on it with pics including the RS sides I am doing too.

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/9...o.htm#rspoiler
Ahh, now I understand what you're talking about after referencing the jackals site and actually seeing the underside of the RS spoiler at the grill attachment points.

It seems very odd to me that an OEM RS spoiler would not allow the OEM grill to be mounted in the same manner the grill is attached to the OEM spoiler.

IMHO, less than intelligent engineering on the OEM RS part, and because of this, I will take a well-made and finished aftermarket RS spoiler all day long...and at half the price point, it can be professionally primed n painted for less than the acquisition cost of the unfinished OEM RS spoiler.

Last edited by nine9six; 05-28-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:17 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Bumping this thread. My factory RS kit arrived and inspected all of the pieces. Quite impressed with the quality of the spoiler.
Where’d you order the kit from?

Originally Posted by nine9six
IMHO, less than intelligent engineering on the OEM RS part, and because of this, I will take a well-made and finished aftermarket RS spoiler all day long...and at half the price point, it can be professionally primed n painted for less than the acquisition cost of the unfinished OEM RS spoiler.
i see you have Getty’s. I assume your happy with it. Any experience with any of the other brands out there? I’ve actually read that prepping these fiberglass parts could bring costs close to the cost of the OEM version.

Hence, I’m torn.....
Old 05-28-2018, 01:44 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

I got the kit from carnewal.

The spoiler will require minimal prep for paint.

I have worked with fiberglass parts in the past and it is hit or miss on amount of surface prep to remove pin holes, imperfections, etc... I did see a getty RS spoiler this weekend and as a finished product looked great. Not sure how much it took to get it there.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:11 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by GBX

Where’d you order the kit from?

i see you have Getty’s. I assume your happy with it. Any experience with any of the other brands out there? I’ve actually read that prepping these fiberglass parts could bring costs close to the cost of the OEM version.

Hence, I’m torn.....
GBX,
I purchased my aftermarket RS spoiler "used". Some aftermarket spoilers need a lot more prep work than others... other than correcting one small seam and a couple pin holes, I was ready for prime and paint.
I too have read horror stories about Better Bodies and/or GT3 Tek RS spoilers that required a great deal of finish and fitment.

HTH

Quick Reply: Factory RS rear wing installation question