Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Took 9 years but I finally got a ticket for no front MD plate & a funny story...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Steve,

You already have holes in your bumper so no extra drilling?

I was not sure if I would like the off centered look but actually it looks different and oddly enough I have gotten some compliments to it. Heck...some yoyos think I "dubbed" the tub and expect to see suicide doors! I have to be a little careful when the car cover is placed over it.

As you have said in earlier posts, not a big deal to put the plate on compared to what issues others face (poor Papa Joe Paterno) and remember that it is a license plate and it is impossible to make that look good, no matter if you bend it, roll it or copy and paste it, or wear it. Now that is an idea....attach a gold chain and wear it like a rapper.

Mark
Would love to see more pics of 993's with the tow hook option vs the standard front bracket for $38 from the dealer. I'm leaning towards the standard mount now, but could be persuaded otherwise depending on pics. I googled it but there's not much out there.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Steve, you could try this route. Not as neat and tidy as the Turbo grill install, but not nearly as bad as the front bracket look either....
How did you do this? This is at least the whole plate, not cut or folded, and not on the front bumper or towhook. I like this the best and it looks totally legal and unticketable.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL, it looks like it has a big buck tooth. It's name should be "Mater".
Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
How did you do this? This is at least the whole plate, not cut or folded, and not on the front bumper or towhook. I like this the best and it looks totally legal and unticketable.

Here ya go Steve:

http://inventivaconcepts.com/fplk.html

The guy who makes them claims he's not making them anymore, but he can easily be persuaded if you'll get a few people and organize a small group buy.

Yeah, I don't love the buck tooth front plate, but I dislike revenue extortion from Uncle Sam even more....
Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I think this is the cleanest look. Is it legal..... it's better than nothing. They can't say I don't have a front plate.
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2011, 02:16 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Just went to my local Porsche dealer and they said that DC cops WILL ticket me if parked with the license plate shortened in size and tucked up into the grill with zip ties as it's "not displayed correctly".

I'm now going to look into the front plate mount route using the towhook. Hello Ebay! Must search for this 2nite. I'll be parking downtown again this weekend but will sadly have to take the other car due to the front plate thing not on it yet.
Am I understanding this right that DC police will issue a ticket for no front plate on a car that isn't registered in DC? (Or is the car registered in DC and you live in MD?)
Old 11-10-2011, 03:23 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BSL
Am I understanding this right that DC police will issue a ticket for no front plate on a car that isn't registered in DC?
You're correct. MD, VA, DC all work together on this and other things as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
I think this is the cleanest look. Is it legal..... it's better than nothing. They can't say I don't have a front plate.
I was told by my local Porsche dealer last night that they will/could still ticket you in some parts of this region (like DC meter maids) if the plate is "chopped down in size like this" and isn't placed on the bumper in it's full size.

Can anyone confirm this?

Perplexed what to do short of buying the OEM front mount at this point and calling it a day (aesthetically - a bit sadly),
Steve
Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS928S
I just keep my plate on the dash far right corner behind windshiled.
Never get stopped-I have driven right past police & I know they have looked at it.
I do as RDS says above but only do that if I am rolling "dirty". If I am not worried about taking ANY chances about getting pulled over by the PO, I do NOT rock a front plate to take away from the lines of my 911. All vehicles just look cleaner without that stupid front plate. Ill keep the plate between my center console and passenger seat for quick access.

Last edited by oMenRC51; 11-10-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added some shit

Quick Reply: Took 9 years but I finally got a ticket for no front MD plate & a funny story...