Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Took 9 years but I finally got a ticket for no front MD plate & a funny story...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 02:15 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had good luck by being honest with cops. I'm 2 for 2 in getting out of no front plate tickets when I've explained why I don't have one. On one the cop actually said thanks for giving an honest answer. In a profession that hears lies and excuses all day you may be surprised by how they react to the truth on a mundane stop for no front plate.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:57 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Times are different.

Huge deficits. Huge debt. The Feds not providing the same funding to the States and the States are doing it to the local municipalities. I believe each and every town is more focused in giving tickets for any infraction that can generate revenue. In fact, the LEOs are expected to pick up their game.

So my local run to the Starbucks could be costing my $70 on top of the charge for coffee.

It's only a front plate. If you think it takes away from the lines of the car, step back and look at the entire car. And thank you in advance for helping our towns fund our operating budget. God Bless America. 9 -9 9!

Mark
Old 11-05-2011, 03:08 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDS928S
I just keep my plate on the dash far right corner behind windshiled.
Never get stopped-I have driven right past police & I know they have looked at it.
Its actual worse having the plate on the dash then having no front plate at all

While driving, that front plate on your dash can become a dealy projectile

While parked, in NYC at least, traffic agents will issue a ticket for "improperly displayed plate" if they see it on the dash

Ironically, having no front plate and not displaying it on the dash, you're less likely to get a ticket for "improperly displayed plate" cause traffic agents in NYC are too lazy to look for a properly mounted front plate and they only need to scan your registration sticker with their handheld scanner to issue tickets...
Old 11-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Traffic cams and Lazar are big reasons why they are so intent on front tag display.

It is harder for them to " lock on" with Lazar w/o a flat front surface to bounce the beam back. It takes more skill (time) on their part to pull a read with the beam on the windshield.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:12 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Steve,

It's always a good rule of thumb to never pass a cop...
...especially if you are speeding at the time!

I once got yelled at over the PA by a cop after I passed him. Speed limit was 40, he was going 37-38, I was going 40, by my speedometer. He was like "What are you thinking? You don't pass a police officer!" right over the PA! Crazy, but true. And, no, he was not doing a traffic break.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 905 Likes on 545 Posts

I got a 2 for 1 parking and missing plate ticket in Hollywood on my 993. Paid the $50 and showed proof of fixit, then mounted one of these monsters from http://moweraxle.com/

So ugly I took it off a couple weeks later. I would do one of those European style vynil sticker LP, but not legal in CA. So still running with no front plate; don't even keep it in the car.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

in the lower grill is the best spot, as JPP, Speedy, etc.

Instead of bending/cutting the plate, I simply cut the two center tabs-top and bottom, on the bumper cover that hold the grill. There are still 8 other clips to hold the grill in place. The plate is simply wedged between the lower grill and bumpercover. Granted, this was done with the cover off .

Bending the plate, and using zip ties would be quick and easy. It's a great, clean look for the cars.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2011, 11:11 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 315 Posts

"How could that suffice, having the plate on the dash? How do the cops see it there when driving? "
"Its actual worse having the plate on the dash then having no front plate at all"

Like this.

I have never mounted a front plate on 5 different Porsches & have never been ticketed in over 15 years.

Last edited by RDS928S; 08-25-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:46 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live down here in Calvert county. I have been stopped twice within the first week of ownership of two different Porsches....warning both times, but I had to buy the $118 bracket and hang that ugly plate on the front. When I got my Bentley, from Bethesda Bentley, they didn't put a front tag on and claimed they never did. I never got stopped, probably because I looked like a a Chrysler 300 convertible. When I get my, new to me 993tt, back from the body shop I will see how long I can go. Front tags never made sense to me in the first place.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 437 Posts

Son of a b*tch. ARGGGGGH. F**K. When it rains it pours. Dang rabbit...

So I went to the Rennlist Meet and Drive this morning at the National Harbor. Saw tons of cool cars, didn't do the drive as I had to go to DC and see 2 movies at E St I've been trying to get to. Maybe I should have gone on the drive...

I come out of the movie, get a quick sandwich at Potbelly, head back to my car and see a ticket on it. I literally spent 5 minutes when I got to the theater studying the damn sign to make sure it was a legal, non metered Sunday spot, which it was.

The ticket? Yep, you guessed it. Mother f'ers. No Front Tag. 50 buck a roonies.

I'm not messing around now. I'm driving to the damn Porsche dealer first thing tomorrow when they open and buying the ugliest legal, front bracket and slapping that puppy on my car PRONTO.

No grill install where they can potentially ticket me for not having it displayed right. No leave it on the dashboard and hope for the best.

Nope, only an ugly, front bracket install will give me the peace of mind I need right now. Plus, even with the excellent, detailed description of how to install it on my car in that Turbo grill area with zip ties, I wouldn't be able to figure it out. I have no way to bend my license plate, particularly with my current sprained arm. Also, just my luck, I'd get another 2 tickets or so for it not being displayed exactly, to the letter of the law, correctly, with all the tops and bottoms parts of it showing perfectly.

Sucks... but there are a hell of a lot worse things in life than this!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:24 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Steve, you could try this route. Not as neat and tidy as the Turbo grill install, but not nearly as bad as the front bracket look either....
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Steve...it's cost you $13.33 a year for the past nine years to run with no front plate. No biggie. I'll bet that if you don't put the plate on, you won't get a ticket for another five years.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:10 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 274 Posts

OMFG!! So sorry to hear this Steve We were just talking about modding your front grille this morning at the ******* Meet & Drive. Let me look in my garage to see if I can find my bracket that I don't use.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:25 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the worst place to put the front plate - in the glove box. I got pulled over for speeding (was speeding, no doubt about that). Reached in to grab my registration and there it was in plain view of the officer. No hiding that. Tried to no-chalantly put it on the dash but that just made us both laugh. Warning on that offense. ~$400 for speeding.
I mounted it right after that in the standard spot and I'm surprised by how much it doesn't bother me.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:56 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy

Speedy
Rennsport Reunion close-up by flickr.com user 'atomic80:'

Photography by Jason Tang; all rights reserved.

Quick Reply: Took 9 years but I finally got a ticket for no front MD plate & a funny story...