Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Took 9 years but I finally got a ticket for no front MD plate & a funny story...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I plan on telling them that the car is air-cooled and the front plate seriously restricts the cooling properties of my oil cooler. It will cause my engine severe damage on those late night 100mph + runs on our local highways
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by uicnick
I highly support anti - gov protesting mjs! If not we would have to put up with all sorts of stupid laws how else are we going to give feedback that the plate ruins the lines of the car? I digress. Putting the plate in the corner of the windshield won't fly. I tried that on my civic years back when I was street parking. It's not "displayed correctly." I caved in and put the plate on the front, only because the city checks the cars every day and I started getting multiple tickets. When I moved out to the burbs, I took the plate back off and put the bumper plugs in. Never had an issue. Now I'm back in the city and have to street park occasionally so I put the front licence plate back on the Merc. I had to park at Ohare short term and the city controls the lot so I had a ticket for no front plate on top of the $30 a day to park there it was such BS. To that same end, I consider it a cost of the car. In my mind $70 over 9 years is hardly a price to pay but I'm surprised that the law allows them to pull you over just for not having a plate. I say keep it off, possibly write your local rep on changing the law and in the mean time the hell with the front plate. For what it's worth though, at the Porsche and Mercedes museums I noticed that most of the modern cars on display included a front plate.
Good post. Yeah, I'm not putting it back on till I get at least one more ticket. F them!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Washington DC parking enforcement will issue a failure to display ticket to cars parked legally at meters with non DC license plates. It happened to me with a car registered in MD. The kicker was it was my company car with dealer tags which still only require a rear tag. I photocopied the tag and sent it back to DC and they voided the citation.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:10 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Denver has adopted the strategy of ticketing a vehicle (without front plate) when the city meter maid performs there rounds. $70 big ones is the cost of admission. A police cruiser takes a blind eye to such issues...

Last edited by M. Schneider; 11-05-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 PM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got one in Los Angeles parked at a meter. $25... I'm still not going to put it on. If that makes me a rebel, so be it!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Denver has adopted the strategy of ticketing a vehicle (without front plate) when the city meter maid does there rounds. A police cruiser takes a blind eye to such issues...
Man, that sucks! That never happened to me. I park in downtown DC all the time. Hope they don't snag me. If they do, the front plate is probably going on.

Anyone have a quick pic they can post that shows the BEST way to put a front plate on with that towhook thing? I finally just bought a towhook!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:32 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in Denver and I got pulled over in my 928 once, just for not having the front plate. I think the ticket was $25. In 8 years that's the only time a cop has ever mentioned my plate missing. In that time, I've been stopped 6 or 7 times for speeding, and not once has the cop even mentioned my missing front plate even though I know they saw it was missing. They obviously don't enforce it much here.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:34 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to mount a front plate without drilling holes, just use velcro. The velcro tape can be removed from the bumper some time later if you want, and the residual adhesive can be removed without damaging the paint.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:35 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm in Northern Ca, land of the ticket, so I did what many here have done running a Turbo bumper, just a couple of bends at top and bottom and some zip ties ... Voila. BTW, this works for the camera's on toll bridges that snap a pic of your front plate as you go through on Fastrak :-)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:55 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

A ran without a front plate on both cars for 4 years in Chicago. I think I got about $250 in no front plate tickets in that time. I was willing to let it go and consider it, like others, a "cost" for not making the front of the car look like crap. My wife, on the other hand, said enough is enough. I tried to add her complaining to the financial loss as a "cost" but that did not last more than a couple of weeks - too high of a penalty. So I went with the tow hook mounts.

I like what JPP shopws with the turbo bumper. I might do that with the C2S.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
I'm in Northern Ca, land of the ticket, so I did what many here have done running a Turbo bumper, just a couple of bends at top and bottom and some zip ties ... Voila. BTW, this works for the camera's on toll bridges that snap a pic of your front plate as you go through on Fastrak :-)
Wow, I can live with that. It looks like a complicated DIY for me but I'll try it. I can barely turn a screw or hammer in a nail. Cleaning my car is about as DIY as I get but I'll give it a whirl. I'm sure I'll be calling over my neighbor to help me when I can't do some aspect of this DIY. Don't laugh, I'm that bad.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
If you want to mount a front plate without drilling holes, just use velcro. The velcro tape can be removed from the bumper some time later if you want, and the residual adhesive can be removed without damaging the paint.
I would be astonished if warp speeds would not have a front plate flying off in a jiffy. I guess it would need to be molded to fit the contour of the bumper.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:49 PM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

...inspired by "JPP"

Name:  DSC00733.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  70.0 KB
Old 11-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$70??? I'd keep it without a tag, that's just $7.77 per year, sooo sounds like a good deal to me!

BTW- Those trick looking bent plates under the bumper look awesome but can get you a ticket just the same as no plate.
Here in NJ & NY they write tickets for having any "portion" of the plate obstructed either by bending or even a dealer plate holder that blocks out the words Garden State on an NJ plate
Old 11-05-2011, 02:05 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Wow, I can live with that. It looks like a complicated DIY for me but I'll try it. I can barely turn a screw or hammer in a nail. Cleaning my car is about as DIY as I get but I'll give it a whirl. I'm sure I'll be calling over my neighbor to help me when I can't do some aspect of this DIY. Don't laugh, I'm that bad.
Ok all you real mechanics, chime in with better methods if you have'em, I don't bruise easily ...
Just hold the plate up to the lower opening and use a black marker to mark the upper and lower 'fold' points. I found the California plate to be almost exactly even at the top of 'California' and the bottom of the numbers (you want the name of the State to be visible ...) then draw the straight lines across the back using a right angle triangle (Home depot has a cheapo plastic one, even has a 'level' bubble built in, you'll use it for other stuff, and while your there, get some 10" black zip ties ...) go over to your neighbors and 'borrow' his vice and tighten the plate into it at the bend lines and push it over with your hands ... then you can put it on the edge of a bench and using a light hammer and cloth to protect the face, sharpen the bends up a little to just past 90degrees ... perfect. Then just zip tie it to the plastic grille through the plates mounting holes :-)

Originally Posted by tommyg
...inspired by "JPP"
See ... if I can do it, and Tommy can do it ... you can do it.

Quick Reply: Took 9 years but I finally got a ticket for no front MD plate & a funny story...