Sponsored by:

FOD isn't just for turbine engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011 | 09:06 PM
Peqoud
Rennlist Member

Default FOD isn't just for turbine engines

97 C2

I recently threw a fan belt - or so I thought. Went to change it and found out it was the cooling fan that disintegrated and did major damage (at around 6k rpms). Took out the fan, fan housing, and fan belt tension sensor, as well as one big rip in one of the AC hose couplings. Glad I was nowhere near the thing.

I replaced all of the items above and belted it back up. Cranked her over and the alternator was definitely doing better (brighter lights yeah) but there was this rattling noise from the fan housing area. I'm guessing I didn't seat the belts right, one of the pulleys is misaligned, the alternator shaft is bent and the fan is hitting the wall of the fan housing, or I left a tool in the patient. Taking a closer look, I noticed a "dent" in the crank pulley. Pics attached. Probably not a dealer item. Please tell me I'm wrong and this is what your pulley looks like.

If it is indeed the crank pulley, then I'm guessing the fan threw a blade(s) and sliced through the fan belt and into the pulley. I think the alternator belt is riding up on this dent and causing the wobble in the belt and thus the rattle. Or the dent unbalanced the whole pulley. But I don't know ****.

Tell me that replacing the pulley is like a 4 out of 10. Please.

PS
For those of you with even what you think is a hairline crack in one of the fan blades, do yourself a favor and REPLACE IT NOW.

Nick
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2011 | 09:33 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Nick,
Wow, it sure looks like one of the newly-freed blades did a number on the crank pulley.

Yes, I would replace that asap. From what I understand, you'll probably need to pull the catalytic converter, support the engine, and remove the actual engine bracket. This should then give sufficient room to R&R the crank pulley.

Any pics of the slightly-modified fan?

Andreas
Old 11-03-2011 | 09:38 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

bad news... sorry Nick

you will also need to prevent the crank from rotating... that makes it a bit uglier.
Someone in car, foot on brakes, in gear, should do it but I've not done it that way.

Really sorry
Old 11-03-2011 | 09:45 PM
Peqoud
Rennlist Member

I was hoping that I replaced something incorrectly and it's out of balance because of me and the damage to the pulley is old... Maybe I didn't seat the fan correctly or it shipped with a bad bearing, fan out of balance?

I forgot to mention that I replaced the motor mounts with RS mounts too.

I need a good mechanic in the Pasadena, CA area. I don't think I'm up for this.

Here's a pic of the fan Andreas. Still want it??

Nick
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2011 | 10:50 PM
Halcyon
Racer

hopefully this doesn't happen to me when i drive to the mechanics to get my fan replaced next week >_<
Old 11-03-2011 | 11:39 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

**** me !!! A belt did that to the fan. Wow.
To get the crank off is going to take a good few hours just to get access to it - exhaust off, rear bumper, drop engine, ac bracket off. Get a rattle gun to get the crank off - which can be a challenge in itself. A replacement crank pulley is pretty expensive. Have you checked the price?
I would say that the job is not difficult - definetly DIYable - but takes time.
I would say at least 6 hours to get the crank off. If you diy you can save a pretty penny.

Yeah - about a 4ish out of 10. It's not hard at all, but you might need some special tools and time.
Good luck.
Old 11-04-2011 | 03:00 PM
trophy
Race Car

I have a replacement pulley at home if needed..... It is alot of work, there are alot of parts that need to come off the car before you can get at the pulley.
Old 11-04-2011 | 03:16 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

if you have the patience to follow exactly how I tell you to do it, you don't have to take anything out to change the pulley, but needs a lot of patience, an extra hand and I would rate it a 2 out of 10. Since I have done it before, now it takes me 15 minutes to change the crank pulley, and bolt everything up (of course without pretension)
If you need pictures, you have to wait until tomorrow my time, if not, I can write up the DIY for you in my strongest french, do you have the patience...
ps: source the pulley already from trophy or ebay

this would be a chance to write the DIY that I wanted to post here a couple of years ago
regards
Old 11-04-2011 | 04:35 PM
Peqoud
Rennlist Member

Geolab. Mon Dieu! Bein sur. Merci pour votre assistance. J'ais beaucoup de patience. That's about as good as my French gets without Google translate (sorry). I would appreciate all of your help/knowledge. Let me know what I can do.

Trophy you have a PM.

Thanks for everyone's input. I will update hopefully when this is all done...

Nick
Old 11-06-2011 | 10:34 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

here we go, if you need more info, let me know

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...n-car-diy.html
Old 04-17-2013 | 08:35 AM
Burgas67
5th Gear

The same happened to me a month ago. Tha fan looked almost the same but with 3 blades missing. The belt snapped. Fortunately no major damage. New fan and belt and that was it. However, I got very scared suspecting additional damage. The noise was terrible and the fan fell aprat under acceleration at around 6.5 K rpm. Thank God now everithing is OK. There was some damage on the blades of the housing but not that serious to change it. Very unnerving! Wonder whether somthing got into the fan or its time just came?!
Old 04-17-2013 | 05:36 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Great time to do the Clewett serpentine belt install.
Old 04-17-2013 | 07:03 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pretty sure I wouldn't do this on my 993, but on other cars I've had great success getting the crank bolt off by attaching a breaker bar and socket on the pulley, then grounding the breaker bar against the garage floor. Bump the starter, bolt spins off easy.

Again, not something I'm recommending for your 993, just something I've done to make it a one-man job.
Old 04-17-2013 | 07:58 PM
sonny1
Banned

Originally Posted by KNS
Great time to do the Clewett serpentine belt install.
Yep, now is an excellent time to do it,100%.,cheers.
Sonny1.

Quick Reply: FOD isn't just for turbine engines