Sponsored by:

Transmission Mount Dimensions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:49 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission Mount Dimensions?

If anyone has a spare transmission mount lying around that they can pull dimensions off I would appreciate it. I am thinking of making a two piece semi-solid mount that can be installed while the transmission is still in the car. This will complement the motor mounts I made about a year ago.
The critical dimensions for me are below:
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this is not what you are asking, but these are available for $75.

http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-...4_965_993.html
Old 10-31-2011, 01:48 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

I saw those on PelicanParts. That's essentially what I was thinking of, but my intentions are to make an aluminum housing with a polyurethane inner bushing to absorb a little bit of the high frequency vibration while acting more or less "solid". It was the same story with my motor mounts, I could have bought WEVO mounts (which are a brilliant design and an excellent value IMO) but it was just too much fun to make my own.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:51 PM
trophy
Race Car

I wish I had the resources and skill to make this kind of stuff, I have a list of ideas/items I would love to make.....

I would be interested in buying one of your creations for the front trans mount.....
Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
I saw those on PelicanParts. That's essentially what I was thinking of, but my intentions are to make an aluminum housing with a polyurethane inner bushing to absorb a little bit of the high frequency vibration while acting more or less "solid". It was the same story with my motor mounts, I could have bought WEVO mounts (which are a brilliant design and an excellent value IMO) but it was just too much fun to make my own.
I have a stock mount at home I can measure tonight.

FYI on the mount you are describing: http://www.turbokraft.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=118

I have one in my car that has very low miles that will be coming out this winter if you would be interested, already modified to work in a six speed G-50 probably $100 shipped OBO. It is very nicely made and Chris from Turbo Kraft is great to work with, but it is just too much NVH for me combined with the other crap I have put in my car. I understand about making the part so just throwing that out there if you don't want to mess with it yourself.

I'll post the dimensions of the mount tonight, I actually measured it and tried to post it a couple of nights ago in the other thread but I guess I never submitted it before closing the tab.
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Erik,
Great minds think alike I guess, that's almost exactly what I had in mind!
Is the vibration noise really that bad? I have what I would consider semi-solid engine mounts and I didn't feel too much difference...
Does it make the shifter "buzz" or anything extremely annoying? I might be interested in buying them from you once I get pricing on the aluminum/poly etc if it just doesn't make sense. $145 new for this seems very reasonable, $100 used even better

What keeps the transmission from shifting left/right with that mount? It seems like the transmission is free to move axially relative to the steel sleeve. Funny, I thought I had searched EVERYWHERE, I obviously missed this one!

Thanks for the help,
- Peter
Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 PM
trophy
Race Car

Eric, If Peter isn't interested, I am If you decide to sell PM me...
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trophy
Eric, If Peter isn't interested, I am If you decide to sell PM me...

Steven, if Peter has no interest it is yours.

It would be great in a track car, the shifter is rock solid with none of the 1st gear oscilation I had with the old stock trans mount (RS motor mounts and Golden Rod).

I will give Peter plenty of time to decide though, as I won't have it out for another month or 2.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Below are the stock mount dimensions, keep in mind the stock mount is not really exact, mine is tapered from one side to the other, I doubt this is intentional. To be exact you would probably want to take measurements on the trans case itself.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2011, 09:46 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Is the vibration noise really that bad? I have what I would consider semi-solid engine mounts and I didn't feel too much difference...
Does it make the shifter "buzz" or anything extremely annoying?
No buzz, just more overall noise and harmonic resonance at certain rev ranges (around 2500, over 4500 it sounds pretty damn good). I noticed no difference when I installed RS motor mounts, no difference with the golden rod, the LWF added some tranny noise, this mount put it over the top for me personally on a street car.

Erik,
What keeps the transmission from shifting left/right with that mount? It seems like the transmission is free to move axially relative to the steel sleeve.
From what I could tell while wiggling around with the trans out. The lower mount that bolts to the bottom of the case takes care of most of the side to side and fore aft movement, this one is more for the twisting movement from the engine torque. Once it is all bolted together it does not slide at all, my bracket had it slightly off to one side, I could not slide the pin at all (even with a BFH ). I used a washer between the forward tube and the bracket to space it out evenly without pinching the rubber cover. It really is nicely made compared to the original.

As for removing the old one, I used a hole saw and drilled out the center rubber, then a hacksaw to cut the ring (learned my lesson with the sawzall on the suspension bushings ), then a chisel to bend up the metal ring, then a punch to drive it out, no issues, not much hammering at all.

It came out very easy compared to the front control arm bushings. I was afraid of trying to get the whole transmission supported in the press.

Then just freeze the split mount overnight and he supplies 3 lengths of bolts to draw the 2 halves together. One half is slightly smaller diameter so it can be tapped in, then you draw in the other side with the screws. He has lines etched into the halves so you can tell you are pulling it in straight.

Whatever you decide keep us posted
Attached Images   

Last edited by rsr91128; 10-31-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:19 AM
trophy
Race Car

Originally Posted by rsr91128
Steven, if Peter has no interest it is yours.

It would be great in a track car, the shifter is rock solid with none of the 1st gear oscilation I had with the old stock trans mount (RS motor mounts and Golden Rod).

I will give Peter plenty of time to decide though, as I won't have it out for another month or 2.
Thanks Eric, no rush on my end, the car is away for winter now. My car is a track car, so this is what I have been after...

Keep me informed.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Erik,
What is your time frame for removing your trans bushing? I drew up this set that I want to try out but to be on the safe side I would like to buy yours just in case things go horribly wrong. Then assuming everything goes well I would re-sell the mount directly to Steven.
I drew this up today with the dimensions that were provided. It uses a standard Energy Suspension 9-9107 bushing designed for a suspension linkage. Weight should be right at 1.5lbs with the hardware.
I will get the material ordered this week.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2011, 01:55 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

PM's to everyone involved in this thread

Last edited by rsr91128; 11-02-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:25 PM
trophy
Race Car

Hey Peter, I wish I had your skills....... Can i send you my ideas and have you design them for me )
Old 11-02-2011, 12:35 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Sure thing!
Especially if its something that could help out the R-List community (I know, I know I'm not even a member but that's cause I am broke!!!). I try to give back in a different way.
E-mail or PM me ideas, but be specific so I can help model stuff up and generate drawings as well if needed. The biggest thing holding me back from designing parts is the availability of parts to reverse engineer so that I can make "improvements".
Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Transmission Mount Dimensions?