Interior Pics for Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:48 PM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior Pics for Track Car

Rennlist folks,

Thought I'd post a few photos from my interior re-do of my '96 C2 track car. I've used a lot of old posts on Rennlist as inspiration and maybe someone will do the same with this post. Over the past 10 months I"ve gone from a stock midnight blue/marble grey interior to a "track look" (for lack of a better term) black interior. I'm happy with the results so far. Enjoy!

I've done the following:
Black vinyl paint on dash, door tops, rear seat panel, and key surround
Removed knee pad panel and glove box
Installed Rennline under dash panel
Black dye on A pillar vinyl
Removed all rear seat pieces, all carpet, sound deadening, and glue
Retaped all wiring
Installed leather RS door panels from AppBiz
Installed Rennline pedals
Removed all center panel pieces, relocated buttons to dash with Rennilne face, cut off/drilled out metal brackets on center console
Primed all metal interior surfaces
Removed airbag wheel, installed Momo Mod 7
Black spray paint on wooden floorboard
Black spray paint on plastic cover for footwell

I plan to do the following:
Rothsport shifter and black leather boot
Paint all interior metal surfaces with black urethane paint
New threshold pieces
Under-dash (hidden) ipod amplifier
Attached Images     
Old 10-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks good Don.
Why are your wipers on backwards?
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

the center console area looks nice and open the way you've done it, and will look even better with the rothsport shifter.
I painted those plastic foot well covers also, used the textured shimmer black so they look metallic.

I can't believe you got all the glue and tar paper off the center console! that must have been tons of work. I gave up trying to remove all the glue and just installed the rs carpet set.

what's the purpose of an ipod amp?

pull the wiper relay and the wipers can be parked any place. my seat is low for helmet space, so I park the wipers on the passenger side also.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:54 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k722070
pull the wiper relay and the wipers can be parked any place.
Sorry about the threadjack, but could you elaborate on this??

Love my car but on my short list of annoyances, the wipers being right in my face all the time is probably on top..certainly sounds a lot easier than pulling the linkage and such out!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 PM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the center console area looks nice and open the way you've done it, and will look even better with the rothsport shifter.
I painted those plastic foot well covers also, used the textured shimmer black so they look metallic.

I can't believe you got all the glue and tar paper off the center console! that must have been tons of work. I gave up trying to remove all the glue and just installed the rs carpet set.

what's the purpose of an ipod amp?

pull the wiper relay and the wipers can be parked any place. my seat is low for helmet space, so I park the wipers on the passenger side also.
Thanks, I really wanted the open center console, never liked having those switches down there. It was a huge pain, but a combo of heat gun, scrapers, goo gone, scoth brite pads, etc eventually did the trick on the glue. I actually used a propane torch on the tar, and it peeled off quite cleanly in huge strips.

The ipod amp will be for long drives to/from various tracks, I still have the rearmost speakers in.

And yes, that's exactly what I did with the wipers. My seat is also low and having the wipers on that side really improves the view.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:19 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

fuse cover in frunk, flip over and find the wiper delay relay. pull it and you obviously lose this function, but you can turn on the wipers and stop them anywhere on the windshield you want.

ahhh...propane torch. guess I gave up too easily.
I gave up on speakers, amp and cdr too, it was 5lbs here, 3lbs there. I just use ear buds and ipod if I get tired of the engine sound.
the ipod amp is a great idea though. that and some light weight door speakers and I'd have a car stereo again.
please post when you find one.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:31 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fuse cover in frunk, flip over and find the wiper delay relay. pull it and you obviously lose this function, but you can turn on the wipers and stop them anywhere on the windshield you want.
Oh ok...so if I am interpreting this correctly, this won't work if retaining the delay function is desired (it's pretty much necessary in the northwest!)? Or does it stay parked on the other side once the relay is reinstalled?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:45 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

delay function won't work. even worse is you lose the toggle wipe where you flick the stalk up once and the wipers do one pass. the wipers are either on or off, and stop in place when you turn them off.

since there is always something falling out of the sky in seattle, you might find it annoying to lose the delay feature.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmattingley

And yes, that's exactly what I did with the wipers. My seat is also low and having the wipers on that side really improves the view.
You guys must be short
Old 10-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 383 Posts

I left the console as its a great place to mount video/data acquisition where you can reach the controls

I also like the shortened console on this car,
Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I also like the shortened console on this car,
Ohh...this is very nice! Where did you find it???
Old 10-26-2011, 07:33 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Ohh...this is very nice! Where did you find it???
Don't think that's Bill's car, as his console is pictured above above. Nontheless, I'd love to know where one could source that short one.

I remember a thread in which the gauge installation was outlined; it may be a secondary oil temp gauge (edit; nope).
Old 10-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 383 Posts

The short console is a DIY, take a stock one, cut, recover.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:25 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Don, where did you put the obd port?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:17 PM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I cut the factory console just rear of the opening for the shifter boot attachment and used some of the cut off side piece to glue in across the rear of the console. Used body filler to contour the piece and then had an interior guy cover it.
The boot I had custom made by the dreaded Alan Gun Leather. I needed to cut off the handle it came with because it was so bad. The Rennline handle worked out nice. I slotted some carpet and attached it with Velcro where it goes over the hand brake cable adjuster.
Guage is a voltmeter.
Mike
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Interior Pics for Track Car