Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Spidey 993TT (Tony), you've got some 'splainin' to do!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:43 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^Love that picture
Old 10-24-2011, 12:06 AM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Tony, new car looks great, love the color, keep the top, IMHO. Enjoy the new ride. Does this mean your not in the market for a white C2S ?????
Old 10-24-2011, 12:10 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Reminds me of a picture I took looking out of my garage. Color spectrum of the 993

Old 10-24-2011, 12:42 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
I was initally shocked to hear he had recently sold his TT in favor of a normally aspirated 993
After listening to his reasoning, it quickly became evident he made the right decision for him, regardless of others' aspirations.

Totally get it!

i too follow the same path, but without the initial turbo purchase expense.
(could be convinced otherwise if the right Andial came up for sale ).

best

Craig
Old 10-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very glad you are enjoying the car Tony.

I know this car is at a perfect new home and will continue to be well cared for.

We really hated to see this car go ... unique and stunning ... perhaps the lowest mileage Riviera Blue 993 out there ... but ... as the world turns ... change is assured ...

BTW - re: the inquiries on the Cali plate - 'yes' - it sure was "SMIRFET" on the car. It was my wife's car and she LOVED that plate and name - and yes - she too is blond. I kept the front plate as a souvenir, and Tony gets the rear to keep if he likes.

Lastly ... for anyone who ever wonders or asks ... our friend Tony here is a straight-up, 100% class-act! 'Nuff said ...

Scott
Old 10-25-2011, 01:38 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Tony,

Since I started this thread, I guess I should follow up.....First off and MOST importantly, congrats on the purchase! She looks like a true beauty and I have a soft spot for the unusual and “bright” colors!

Secondly, this is an interesting commentary about going from a C2 to a TT and back to a C2 (Cab). Despite our close proximity, we haven’t had much chance to talk or get to know each other. However, I always felt a little “connected” to you because we have similar family/vehicle dynamics.....well, it’s really just the fact that we both had a C2 and we both “upgraded” to a 993tt RIGHT around the same time we had an addition to our family.

I have owned/driven quite a few 911’s (including 993) here at our Colorado altitude (I’m at 8000’), so I knew the power was going to be “lacking”. However, I grew up in a 356, so lacking power has been a way of life me. This nice thing about my C2 was the fact I kept it, for the most part, out in CA and down at sea level, I thought the power was almost perfect. It reminded me how bad we take in the shorts at altitude, while at the same time showing me how good the car can and should be. I certainly gained a new respect for the 993 as a complete package.

Moving onto the 993tt: I can remember being at the Denver Auto show in 1996 and while everyone was lusting over the handful of Ferraris and Lambos that were there, I was lusting over the 993tt. I was a “Porsche guy” and that was my dream car. Fast forward to earlier this year when Barney came up, I wasn’t looking to A) sell my C2 or B) “Upgrade” to a turbo yet. I really enjoyed the C2! It was comfortable but sporting, fun, mega reliable, fairly easy to work on, blah blah blah. The stars were just aligned on many levels and owning my “Dream Car” became a reality.

I am not sure that I find myself pushing the limits all that much to get that rush you speak of, but I understand where you are coming from. I too, enjoy the thrust the car provides when accelerating from light to light or corner to corner, but I have yet to tire of it. I have been to the track a couple times to test the car’s limits as well as mine. The car is an absolute blast on the track (as I am sure you can imagine). As you mentioned though, I certainly wouldn’t pick it as a “track weapon” to beat on every weekend. I’ve owned a 944 turbo as well and I’m not even sure I’d pick that either. There are quite a few non-Porsche cars I’d consider for a track rat. Blashphemy, I know, but if you’re REALLY going to drive it at the track, you are REALLY going to break things. For me, if that’s the case, why not minimize the brain damage and wallet damage and get something that’s easy to drive, easy to work on (either in your garage or laying in the dirt at the track) and reasonably priced? That’s my $0.02 on THAT.

The biggest thing I have noticed about the TT is just how different it feels than the C2. It’s everything that everyone says about them and more: It FEELS heavier, it FEELS less nimble, the steering is different than a C2, the brakes are different than a C2, the feedback from the road is different…..it’s just a different experience. Personally, I never felt that the extra power made it a “better” (or worse) car, it’s just another part of that “different” experience. In summation, I really.....no, R_E_A_L_L_Y enjoyed my C2. It was, hands down, my best P-Car ownership experience to date and I STILL can't imagine going back now that I have a TT. Now, let’s keep in mind two very important things: 1) It is my “dream car”, so I am a little biased. 2) My C2 was about a rock-stock as they come and my TT is pretty well modified. So, my comparo could be considered apples to oranges.

yeah, I'm sorry for such a long response too. Nice car my friend! Enjoy in good health and I hope we can hit the road together some time soon!

Originally Posted by Spidey 993TT
Goofball, great question and I spent many hours thinking about it over the last month. Disclaimer before people flame me. My opinion is not your fact, just mine.

I originally bought the 993 C2, and immediately was underwhelmed by the lack of thrust. I knew I had to have a 993TT. As you can see, I waste no time once I make up my mind.

Then bought the 993TT and the first month was incredible. The thrust was incredible, exciting. Car was superb in every way, no complaints.

Then, like anything in life for me, my excitement started to wear off for a couple reasons. 1. I can only do so many spirited stop light to stop light runs before I ask myself, what's next? I was starting to question the purpose of what I was doing. 2. Like a drug addiction analogy, it takes more excitement to get that same level of satisfaction. So, I start taking unnecessary risks to get same high as I did before. I'm just being honest.

I then met some Porsche track junkies who have lots of money and toys. GT3RS, 6GT3.. who like going to a AA meeting tell me they have experienced the same frustration of "what's next?" and at what level of safety am I willing to take on at my expense or that of others. Now remember, I live in open space, lots of room. However, it's not isolation either.

So I made the decision to keep my love of the 993 going by selling my 993TT and buying two cars. This cab and a dedicated track car. So, I get to scratch the itch with projects on my Cab, while also scratching that itch for a raised level of excitement while in the appropriate venue of the track. The more i talked to people, the 993TT didn't really seem like a good option for track use for a beginner like me. I could buy a 993 or 951 for much less while having some extra money available for repairs and misc costs.

The 993TT just didn't fit my future goals, so once i knew that, I move forward. Clock is ticking! But let me also say, I have 0 regrets in buying the car. I scratched that itch, accomplished that dream. For those who have OCD, and just have to have that life experience, I very much understand that too.

I took the 993 Cab for a drive immediately and started to laugh a bit at the lack of uummph. However this time, I was smiling because I appreciated the car for what it is now, not disappointed for what it's not.

Sorry for such a long response. Hope it helps someone experiencing that tug and pull.

Last edited by BLT4SPD; 10-26-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:51 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT4SPD
The biggest thing I have noticed about the TT is just how different it feels than the C2. It’s everything that everyone says about them and more: It FEELS heavier, it FEELS less nimble, the steering is different than a C2, the brakes are different than a C2, the feedback from the road is different…..it’s just a different experience. Personally, I never felt that the extra power made it a “better” (or worse) car, it’s just another part of that “different” experience.
This is exactly the reason why I love Miata and actually decided against a TT that was available a week ago locally. I just happen to like underpowered cars that feel light and handle well. Did I mention that I'll own a Super 7 at some point?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:56 AM
Spidey 993

Ben,

That there is an excellent perspective as well for folks experiencing the tug and pull of upgrading or not.

It's funny becuase when I wrote that, I meant one thing, but when folks read it or internalized it, it came out a bit skewed.
I have read a couple responses that I switched the TT for a Cab. I don't bother to explain myself, because it's a personal thing
and people can take it however they choose.

I bought the Cab for my family fun, independent of the TT. I didn't switch or go back to a C2.

I haven't yet bought the car I am replacing the TT with. That I consider to be the track car.
I made the decision to quit acting like I'm driving on the track on the public roads. See, I have something called OCD, and if I can drive fast, I will.
I think others have better control than I do.

So, I think we are quite similar in thought. The TT was my dream car, but I could not see me taking that beautiful beast on the track and trashing it, then paying for the countless repair bills that I'm sure are astronomical. I think your right, there are better options out there to beat up on the track that won't break the bank at the same time.

With that said to, I am very happy driving the C2 on the street. I'm not wishing it were a TT anymore, and I can enjoy it for what it is. My plan is to enjoy my daily cruising, and buy a car to rip it up on the track. (Still not sure what that is.) I'm looking forward to both and now feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds so to speak.

So, I still get your love the the 993TT. I'm sure down the road, I'll have another one in the garage, say in blood orange.....

Hope to see you soon and thanks!

Originally Posted by BLT4SPD
Tony,

Since I started this thread, I guess I should follow up.....First off and MOST importantly, congrats on the purchase! She looks like a true beauty and I have a soft spot for the unusual and “bright” colors!

Secondly, this is an interesting commentary about going from a C2 to a TT and back to a C2 (Cab). Despite our close proximity, we haven’t had much chance to talk or get to know each other. However, I always felt a little “connected” to you because we have similar family/vehicle dynamics.....well, it’s really just the fact that we both had a C2 and we both “upgraded” to a 993tt RIGHT around the same time we had an addition to our family.

yeah, I'm sorry for such a long response too. Nice car my friend! Enjoy in good health and I hope we can hit the road together some time soon!

Last edited by Spidey 993; 11-06-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:01 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Perfect Motorcycle!

Originally Posted by Rinty
Tony:

Congratulations on your purchase. The search for the perfect machine is one of trial and error, but we get better at it, as we accumulate experience.

I'm going through the same process right now, in my search for the perfect motorcycle. But I think I've found it...
Derail.....I'll bite....

1000 RR? Diaval?? God help me...that's where my thoughts go....

Were they talking about acceleration earlier in the thread?

drag them pegs?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:15 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulation on you RB . I love cabs

I just sold BluByU C2 in August and kept my White C4 cab .
After this thread I wonder if I did the right thing . Hmm.... not really ! The C4 is way more fun to drive .

Cheers Guy
Attached Images   
Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
pingwrx
Advanced

....now I understand your post in my thread https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...r-storage.html Beautiful Cab...congrats on your purchase
Old 10-25-2011, 01:40 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, congrats on the new ride, very cool color.

The discussion on street performance raises some good points, i.e. that the track is a better place for raising the speed quotient. One of my favorite pcars was my 965, I still miss that car. But, the chances to use that extra speed were pretty rare and one has to ask if the risks were worth the cost as Tony points out. I've been pondering whether to "upgrade" to a tt or use that extra money instead to find an early 911 instead.

Switching to motorcycles for a minute, I recently added one of the new Triumph Bonnevilles to the stable and even though it's slow by today's standards, it is so much fun to hustle that bike through the twisties. I'm having more fun with 60hp than my other bike with 145hp.

Quick Reply: Spidey 993TT (Tony), you've got some 'splainin' to do!