Sponsored by:

"Emergency" Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "Emergency" Help needed

I am on the road with the 993, getting ready to head from East Coast to Phoenix after picking car up from shippers last week.

The horn sounds when I brake hard or back up. I can pull up on the steering wheel center cover to get it to stop, but I want to sort this out before I start on the long drive on Monday. I am pretty sure it is the contacts in the steering wheel being dirty or somehow being too close, causing the horn to sound whenever the cover moves a little bit.

In previous non-airbag equipped cars, I could pull hard on the center cover to remove it. NO GO on the 993. I can't figure out how to get the cover off to get to the horn contacts.

I looked on P-Car workshop, but found no help there. I have limited internet access, and don't have a place or time to conduct a detailed mechanical investigation on how to get to the steering wheel horn contacts.

Can anyone out there give info, pics, or a link on how to sort this out?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:50 AM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look on the back of the steering wheel you will see four holes, you need a longish torx screwdriver to undo the torx head bolts inside the holes, once undone the air bag will pull off
Old 10-15-2011, 07:50 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

There are afew threads that speak to this. For the time being pull the fuse. Then when you get home search horn or steering wheel and there are threads that tell you how to replace the pads. I have to do the same fix myself. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
There are afew threads that speak to this. For the time being pull the fuse. Then when you get home search horn or steering wheel and there are threads that tell you how to replace the pads. I have to do the same fix myself. Good luck.
Probably the best choice for now.... I don't have access to workspace, etc. Good tip, Thanks...
Old 10-15-2011, 09:00 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts

If you look on the back of the steering wheel you will see four holes, you need a longish torx screwdriver to undo the torx head bolts inside the holes, once undone the air bag will pull off
Be sure to disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes before removing the airbag!!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:23 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

yeap, pull the fuse! There is no "cover" per say. Its the Airbag unit which comes off as a unit. And yes you got to have the battery off before you start playing with it.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:51 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't pull the fuse. Take a piece of weatherstrip or some foam and stuff it between the crack of the airbag and the steering wheel. I used 1/4 foam weatherstrip, and stuff it along the top.

It works by preventing the airbag from contact when you brake. BUT it still compresses when you want to use the horn.

The real fix is the airbag retainer frame thingie.

It's embarrassing to brake hard and honk your horn...especially when it startled a nice older couple at the red light who then roll down the window and says "it's a nice car". I spent the rest of the stop light apologizing and explaining the horn.

Whatever you do, don't disable the horn. I did this and it's dangerous to drive w/o a working horn.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:29 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Avenger,
Do a temp fix for now. When I get home tomorrow, I'll check my 993 parts trove. I think I still have an airbag frame that never sold on EBay. It's yours if you want it.

Andreas

Quick Reply: "Emergency" Help needed