Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kudos to Dr. Color Chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 PM
KLSpeed27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used it on my Polar Silver car and while the color matched perfectly, you have to completly fill the chips in order for them to disappear as in the video. This may take several applications depending on the depth of the chip...

Hope that helps.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took them twice to get my Zenith Blue to match but in the end it was very good. But, can't get much depth to chips, hard to build it up to surface level. Next time around I'll try and go lighter when doing the solvent so as hopefully not wipe out as much paint.

I'm getting some rash on the spokes of my 02 rims, anybody know what the color code is by chance?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ryano
Agreed.. I'm curious as well. Anything has to be better than polar silver touch up paint from porsche.
Dr. Colorchip's Polar Silver matched very nicely. I have found dealer touch-up paints to be so far off you're better off to pick something up at the local parts store.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
I found the color match was good but when wiping the paint just got dragged out of the chip. Perhaps I need to let it dry longer but I'm worried it won't wipe off then.
I let mine dry overnight with no issues other than it takes a little more time for the wiping fluid to do it's job. A guy from Dr. Color Chip was at PCA Parade and said that wiping off the excess paint can be done even a year or two later. I've found that, the longer you let the paint dry, the more solvent and time it takes to remove the excess paint, which isn't a bad thing.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You have to be careful not to wipe too hard when smearing. That is just to knock the paint down. Then, when wiping with the solvent, you use very light pressure, allowing the chemical to do the work.
+1 Let the solvent chemical do the work in removing the excess paint. Rubbing too much will remove all the paint in the chip. Be patient and don't rush or panic. Let the paint dry for a few hours, then wipe. At first, it will seem like the excess paint isn't coming off, but the wiping fluid will gradually loosen up the excess paint and remove it.

I've spent a lot of time filling chips only to remove all the paint by not letting it dry long enough and/or wiping too aggressively.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:23 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My concern was around not being able to remove the excess paint if I waited too long. IIRC the instructions said wait 2 minutes???? I'll try waiting awhile longer although I know I have at least one spot where the excess paint has not come off.
Its back to the drawing board I guess (probably operator error )

Quick Reply: Kudos to Dr. Color Chip