Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firming up the brake pedal - steel lines?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:02 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll chime in here even though all the brake "experts" have already spoken. Recently swapped out the original rubber lines for some SS ones. Also switched from ATE to SRF. I can tell you that there is no perceivable difference between the 2 setups for street use. Mind you I have always run fresh brake fluid since I flush that twice a year. My pedal has always been firm even before the switch. On the track, I run Pagids and noticed the pedal feel is more consistent with the SRF vs ATE, but I doubt the SS lines made any difference. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

Hi

I fitted the SS brake lines and felt no perceptible difference in the pedal, my friend has a tip that has a rock solid pedal and the car is older with more miles than my old bus. I think that Steve W and Chris W are advocates of the original silicone lines, there lies no better recommendation.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

I actually asked Joel about this a few years ago, and got a different response. He basically said it wouldn't make much difference, but for $100 why not. I change to SS lines when I did my last brake flush, and I also don't notice much difference.
--Joe
Old 09-29-2011, 05:20 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Did you feel a difference with SRF (as in better, worse or the same)?
It feels better that the SRF, rock hard pedal. (I am running RS calipers and Pagid Black Pads as a reference). I haven't run SRF in my car but have driven a car with the same brakes as mine with SRF.

I just spent the past weekend at Miller Motorsport park and did over 500 miles on the track and the pedal was perfect from the first to the last lap, no bleeding, no issues.... Endless fluid is superb,
Old 09-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
It feels better that the SRF, rock hard pedal. (I am running RS calipers and Pagid Black Pads as a reference). I haven't run SRF in my car but have driven a car with the same brakes as mine with SRF.

I just spent the past weekend at Miller Motorsport park and did over 500 miles on the track and the pedal was perfect from the first to the last lap, no bleeding, no issues.... Endless fluid is superb,
Okay, thanks, Steven. So, you haven't run the SRF in your car and done a back-to-back "test"? There are definitely car-to-car brake pedal differences. Too bad I just bought five bottles of SRF.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my brake is super tough not at all like a mercedes or bmw
Old 09-29-2011, 05:40 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SS vs OE comparo aside... at this point in the life of the 993, replacing the lines is not a bad idea

Personally, I wouldn't track a 993 with the original lines
Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 PM
trophy
Race Car

Okay, thanks, Steven. So, you haven't run the SRF in your car and done a back-to-back "test"? There are definitely car-to-car brake pedal differences. Too bad I just bought five bottles of SRF.
Sorry, no back to back in my car..... Hey there is always next year to try some Endless. Funnily enough the only time I bleed the endless is when PCA requires a fresh bleed of fluid, otherwise I would only be doing it once a year (if that)

Originally Posted by MarkD
SS vs OE comparo aside... at this point in the life of the 993, replacing the lines is not a bad idea

Personally, I wouldn't track a 993 with the original lines
This really is the best advice overall. Our cars are getting old.

When I replaced my lines I put on stainless ones, as I had a set from a previous project, would I have been happy with OE, absolutely.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Mark, see my post about my experience with SRF. I was quite happy with ATE and just decided to try something different this last time out. I'm not sure if the extra cost of SRF is worth it performance-wise, but I just saw a guy with a 996TT at the track boil his fresh ATE fluid and had his pedal go to the floor! In this case, the extra money would be well worth it compared to track time lost....
Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
By far the vast majority of racecar engineers will disagree w/ you on that. You are confusing effort w/ modulation.

ergonomically the human leg is far better able to modulate force at a fixed position vs over a moving range of positions, particularly so if you are operating the gas and brake w/ the same foot

w/ the 23.8mm m/c mention combioned w/ 930 brakes the effort goes way up but the pedal is rock hard and doesn't move a lot especially compared to a stock setup. This is mostly due to the slave/master ratios, the lower the harder the pedal
thru '76 911 41.3
boosted 911 thru '83 35.2
930 '78-89 33.1 early car w/ 930 brakes and 23.8mm m/c is the same just not boosted
964RS/Cup 32.8
993 37.3
993 tt 29.8
993RS 33.7
993 Gt2 evo 27.8
996Cup 30.1
997RSR 29.5
I can query a friend who was an IRL team manager. But I hear what you're saying from an engineering standpoint. In practical, real-world-on-the-track experience I was never happy with the large master/930 brakes with a 245 or 275 front tire on a 9" wheel. Maybe it's me. (It's better with the '73 faux RS and 225's on 7" wheels.) I can say I've driven 5-7 cars similarly set up to what my '74 morphed into, and I was never satisfied with any of the setups. Not all built by me, either. Absolutely if you put in a Tilton pedal box with dual masters it turns out beautiful. Even more so when coupled to a vacuum assist. Which I'll have a chance to drive on Friday in the form of a newly built Mat Lowrance state-of-the-art car ('86 930 chassis for PRC GTL) that will be out on its maiden test day.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:56 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

In my experience the steel braided lines are inferior to the standard hoses. A new set of steel braided hoses are preferable to 15 year old standard hoses though. Just do not expect them to last 15 years.

Berni
Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 PM
trophy
Race Car

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
Mark, see my post about my experience with SRF. I was quite happy with ATE and just decided to try something different this last time out. I'm not sure if the extra cost of SRF is worth it performance-wise, but I just saw a guy with a 996TT at the track boil his fresh ATE fluid and had his pedal go to the floor! In this case, the extra money would be well worth it compared to track time lost....
I see engine oil, transmission oil and Brake fluid as Insurance, and cheap insurance at that. The delta between SRF, Endless etc. (~70/pint) and ATE (~15/pint) is considerable. However the DELTA between stopping at the end of a main straight vs NOT stopping is much much higher...
Old 10-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

It's time for me to do a brake job on my 1995 cab. New brake hoses are in the mix for certain. My cab is an early build and I've read here about other 95 owners having trouble with getting the right hoses for early build calipers. Can someone advise how to determine what the proper hose is for an early build 95? Many thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:56 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

However the DELTA between stopping at the end of a main straight vs NOT stopping is much much higher...
Yes indeed.....
Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The delta between SRF, Endless etc. (~70/pint) and ATE (~15/pint) is considerable. However the DELTA between stopping at the end of a main straight vs NOT stopping is much much higher...
Isn't it, to paraphrase Clapton, in the "way that you use them"? Three years of racing the RSA using ATE, at/near lap records, and zero brake issues. Even in Reno (testing only) at altitude. (Other than Laguna eating half a set of front pads per race weekend.)

Been using ATE in the faux RS for my whole ownership; have to remind myself to bleed the brakes a couple of times a year.

Quick Reply: Firming up the brake pedal - steel lines?