Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake bleed gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:17 PM
GrindingGears
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had an issue/problem with this method. Various vehicle brands/models.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Soaked it w/PB blaster and used a craftsman flare nut wrench and no dice...every attempt felt like it turned but was just rounding off. I gave up. Yeah if i forced the issue i may have been able to get it off but then what. I'm left w/a mangled nut that i have to pray i can tighten back up onto the new line. Too risky.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I would never use Vice Grips on any bolt/nut unless it was the only remaining option and even then only to remove the line to replace with a new one. Those flare nuts are not designed to be squeezed like that. Use the proper flare nut wrench or a 6 pt deep socket on bleed screws.
+1
Old 10-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I would never use Vice Grips on any bolt/nut unless it was the only remaining option and even then only to remove the line to replace with a new one. Those flare nuts are not designed to be squeezed like that. Use the proper flare nut wrench or a 6 pt deep socket on bleed screws.
+993 on this! Suggesting use of Visegrips on unrounded flare nuts, that will be re-used-is not a good tip at all. There are proper tools for some projects, and flare nut wrenches have always served me well.

PS- I gotta throw in here, that Speed Bleeders are another great option. I've not used my Motive in a long time....
Old 10-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Gunter
Racer

Question

Originally Posted by S2K993
Soaked it w/PB blaster and used a craftsman flare nut wrench and no dice...every attempt felt like it turned but was just rounding off. I gave up. Yeah if i forced the issue i may have been able to get it off but then what. I'm left w/a mangled nut that i have to pray i can tighten back up onto the new line. Too risky.
???

Not sure if I understand?

A new brake line comes with new flare nuts.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:28 AM
GrindingGears
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those not agreeing with my alternate method, can you offer the OP any other suggestions? I'm curious too. Flare wrenches --even quality wrenches-- strip nuts in this application consistently. Who has experienced this and been able to get around the stripping?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GrindingGears
For those not agreeing with my alternate method, can you offer the OP any other suggestions? I'm curious too. Flare wrenches --even quality wrenches-- strip nuts in this application consistently. Who has experienced this and been able to get around the stripping?
Had rounded flare nut on the brake line to one of the rear wheels on my previous 993. I was trying to install braided (SS) flex lines when I discovered it. Left it alone when I found out I couldn't get the nut off and ordered a new hard brake line. Fortunately the piece connected to a "T" about 18" up although it had 3 or 4 bends in that 18". New hard line from Porsche wasn't that expensive although I could have bought a new tool to make it myself if I wanted to. When the new hard line came in I replaced it and installed the braided (SS) flex line. Yes I used Vise Grips to remove the nut but that line was not reinstalled.

Some flare nut wrenches are better than others. Mine are fairly old (30+ YO) Craftsman wrenches but I would not buy the newer Craftsman stuff for an application like this. The quality is not as good IMHO.

For Bleeder screws I use a deep 6 point (1/4" drive) socket to loosen the screw and have a small 6 point wrench (sometimes called Ignition Wrenches) pre-positioned on the tube I slide over the bleed nipple for opening and closing the bleed screw. I think Steve Weiner recommended the 6 point deep socket some time ago in another thread.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 10-04-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Gunter
Racer

Sounds good.

To ensure that the bleeder nipples don't rust up, every time the wheels are off I crack the nipples open briefly. A few drops of fluid (and sometimes small air bubbles) come out.

There is an old myth floating around that air might enter when you do this is in line with Big Foot. Gravity works down, not up and since fluid in the system is heavier than air, it pushes air out.

Have done it for more than 30 years. Bleeder nipples on some cars are rediculously small and if they're left allone for too long, they rust solid.

Quick Reply: Brake bleed gone wrong