Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my Riviera Blue 993 C2S....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

I got thinking this afternoon, as I was pedaling around the old abandoned railbeds and local singletrack where I live...the current owner needs to simply add a few "bonus' items to really put the car over the top.

Might I humbly suggest a set of velvet ropes...since probably anyone who ever sees the car again will certainly have to be standing BEHIND them. Also, a box set of matching gloves...since the next owner will more than likely have to put a pair on every time he touchs the car. Yea, yea, yea, white cotton gloves would probably be better, hell, 1000 thread count eqyption cotton gloves from the F'n Martha Stewart Collection would be the bomb.

Pic of suggested hand apparel below...

That being said, I read the old thread about Seinfield and his MB C4S. The one comment that stood out to me was something like "look at the color of that car in a sea of grey". That makes me think...everytime I drive my car...just a plain jane Arctic Silver WB, I get lots of reactions from the public. Could you imagine the reaction you would get driving one of the special colors?

Think for a minute how the simple sighting of a Rivi Blue, Turq Blue, Vesuv, etc NB or WB could absolutely transform the mind of a child or young adult. Something would just click, and automotive passion would be born.

Cars treated like this $100K wonder, IMHO do a disservice to the brand. I don't want to stumble into a climate controlled facility and view these cars, they just don't look real in that setting to me. Say what you will, I just think it's a shame these beautiful examples of very rare cars are so little used.

10, 20, 30 years from now...will these be seven figure cars...who knows.

Still a shame
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 569 Posts

I certainly don't blame the seller for getting all that he can for the car as I have lucked out like him in the past when the Muscle Car price climb took place. I just hope that this isn't a sign of things to come with our beloved 993's and we will end up seeing very few of them on the streets in the future - just like the rare muscle cars...

I have loved muscle cars for nearly 45 years and have owned many really rare examples. I drove them every weekend to cruise nights and can recall times where I would be there in a 1967 Z-28 (one of 200 left in existance) and there would be a dozen other rare cars lined up beside me with a host of more "everyday" muscle too. In 1999 I bought a super clean '67 Z from Reggie Jackson for $27,500. I sold it 2 years later when I went back to school to do my MBA for $32,000. I thought I made out like a bandit. Within 5 years that car was worth $125K and it has never been seen since. Go to a cruise night now and you see nothing but resto-mods and nice drivers - all of the rare stuff is too expensive for the average Joe and is tucked away in some rich guy's garage with 25 other gems. I seldom attend cruise nights now because the cars are just so-so and I am bored within 15 minutes. I really hope this isn't happening to the 993....
Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

I wonder how much my RB jack stands are worth now

Last edited by Opo; 07-03-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Onami
I certainly don't blame the seller for getting all that he can for the car as I have lucked out like him in the past when the Muscle Car price climb took place. I just hope that this isn't a sign of things to come with our beloved 993's and we will end up seeing very few of them on the streets in the future - just like the rare muscle cars...

I have loved muscle cars for nearly 45 years and have owned many really rare examples. I drove them every weekend to cruise nights and can recall times where I would be there in a 1967 Z-28 (one of 200 left in existance) and there would be a dozen other rare cars lined up beside me with a host of more "everyday" muscle too. In 1999 I bought a super clean '67 Z from Reggie Jackson for $27,500. I sold it 2 years later when I went back to school to do my MBA for $32,000. I thought I made out like a bandit. Within 5 years that car was worth $125K and it has never been seen since. Go to a cruise night now and you see nothing but resto-mods and nice drivers - all of the rare stuff is too expensive for the average Joe and is tucked away in some rich guy's garage with 25 other gems. I seldom attend cruise nights now because the cars are just so-so and I am bored within 15 minutes. I really hope this isn't happening to the 993....
great muscle car analogy.

Before I decided on another Porsche, I thought about going back to my muscle car roots also. I was always a Mopar kid, in a blur of bow tie people around here. Lots of very nice Mopars were here in Central New York in the late 80's and 90's-more than one Hemi...a GTX, Daytona Charger(Petty livery). The one that "got away" for me, was my 68 Dodge Dart GTS, Burgandy with black interior, with that classic Scat pack stripe over the rear deck in black. The 340 small block was built by a Nationally known motor meister, the car was fast as hell. It was in stunning condition, but I simply got bored with it.

It lost space in the garage when the road racing started, and faster newer stuff came along. It sat outside under a cover for one season, and that was enough to break the emotional bond I had with the car.

I don't want to even think what that car would be worth today, considering what I see other sweet Mopar stuff going for.

Anyway, it just didn't make sense to spend $40k on a muscle car that wasn't anything more than a fair weather driver, when I could get another Pcar instead. The lack of anything remotely nice at car shows and cruises is the same here, unless you get to a big stage like the Mopar Hershey show, etc.

aahhh, the old days
Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 PM
CHRIS WU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better tuck them away,Rudy:-P
Old 08-04-2012, 01:24 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Go away for a few days and look what happens. I seem to be saying that a lot lately.

It is what it is. Won't "set the market" for 98 C2S' as it's a unique paint to sample car. The RB and BT blue 993s (and of course Jerry's Mexico Blue, last of the last, Euro C4S) do get me excited. But not excited enough to pay this kind of scratch over a similar car even if I had the money. We're talking AT THE VERY LEAST $25K over an otherwise identical car in a more common colour. To the seller, congrats.

Anyone else feel this thread is covert advertising at its best? I feel a bit dirty.

Last edited by timothymoffat; 08-04-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRIS WU
Better tuck them away,Rudy:-P
Putting them in the safe Chris
Old 08-04-2012, 02:40 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
That being said, I read the old thread about Seinfield and his MB C4S. The one comment that stood out to me was something like "look at the color of that car in a sea of grey". That makes me think...everytime I drive my car...just a plain jane Arctic Silver WB, I get lots of reactions from the public. Could you imagine the reaction you would get driving one of the special colors?

Think for a minute how the simple sighting of a Rivi Blue, Turq Blue, Vesuv, etc NB or WB could absolutely transform the mind of a child or young adult. Something would just click, and automotive passion would be born.

Cars treated like this $100K wonder, IMHO do a disservice to the brand. I don't want to stumble into a climate controlled facility and view these cars, they just don't look real in that setting to me. Say what you will, I just think it's a shame these beautiful examples of very rare cars are so little used.

Still a shame
Joe, you nailed it, particularly the last paragraph.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd like to know why GYMGUY continues to evade the question abount ownership. The eBay ad is total sham and lie. Very misleading. I wonder what else GYMGUY has mislead Rennlist about? If he can easily lie about something as simple as "number of owners" it only makes you wonder what else he's lying about????
Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I'd like to know why GYMGUY continues to evade the question abount ownership. The eBay ad is total sham and lie. Very misleading.
Bill .. this stuff happens a lot with dealers as well. Put into inventory, driven a few hundred miles .. and sold as one owner. Here's a Willhoit S .. and please .. lets compare it here. Claimed 6K mile 'one owner' car in a fairly common color of Ocean Blue over Cashmere .. not a lot of options .. $90K. We see it ALL the time .. Here's his confusing wording on ownership: with 'I purchase this ..'? Doesn't he have a proof reader? Anyway .. discuss. Please tell me why the RB is so appallingly overbid and mis-represented based on these kinds of dealer shenanigans and the fact that we ALL know when Chris bought this car and how many miles were on it. IMHO .. anybody who would pay $90K for this car is the fool.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
I purchase this from the original owner
with only 5,039 back in 2008
The 2nd owner was VERY PICKY
and only drove it 400 miles a year!!
He Kept Her in PRISTINE CONDITION!
Still has that New Car Smell!!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Bill .. this stuff happens a lot with dealers as well. Put into inventory, driven a few hundred miles .. and sold as one owner. Here's a Willhoit S .. and please .. lets compare it here. Claimed 6K mile 'one owner' car in a fairly common color of Ocean Blue over Cashmere .. not a lot of options .. $90K. We see it ALL the time .. Here's his confusing wording on ownership: with 'I purchase this ..'? Doesn't he have a proof reader? Anyway .. discuss. Please tell me why the RB is so appallingly overbid and mis-represented based on these kinds of dealer shenanigans and the fact that we ALL know when Chris bought this car and how many miles were on it. IMHO .. anybody who would pay $90K for this car is the fool.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
I purchase this from the original owner with only 5,039 back in 2008
The 2nd owner was VERY PICKY and only drove it 400 miles a year!!
He Kept Her in PRISTINE CONDITION!
Still has that New Car Smell!!
That linked car above was noted to likely be the lowest mileage 993 left ( ~6K+) .... but same seller has a C2S at ~4K miles (vesuvius blue C2S .... must be so many low mileage units kicking around that it becomes confusing..

Anyway, more power to you GYMGUY - well done with the auction, which still has a week to run! ... I suspect the little green eye of envy has been cast your way a time or two .
Old 08-04-2012, 12:05 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
Anyway, more power to you GYMGUY - well done with the auction, which still has a week to run! ... I suspect the little green eye of envy has been cast your way a time or two .
^^^Ya think? $101,100 .. we're on the move ..
Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just remember it's only a bid until they pony up the Benjamin's! I'd go over the car as well as the paperwork very carefully.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

well, there are many folks we know that buy these cars with the sole purpose of re-selling them for profit. Then there are those who have such short attention spans with their cars that we wonder what the hell is going on.

I'm not sure really where the current owner of this car fits in here. He obviously hasn't driven the car very much since owning, and mentioned shortly after buying it he was considering selling.

That being said, he has my vote for rennlist "flipper" of the year. He's gonna profit more on one car, than Deadhead1960 did on the dozen or so he probably sold here.

Everyday, a 993 is being sold below market value somewhere. Anybody who can dedicate the time to search, fly, drive, and buy...can make some money at it. Some are just better than others naturally.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:28 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Ill admit it.....Im jealous. I could have easily bought the car back "then" but didnt. Good for him! So how many cans of riv spraypaint will it take to paint my car? I just need to find a low mileage speedo on ebay and mine will be for sale

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my Riviera Blue 993 C2S....