993 Forum 1995-1998

993 issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:08 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"What does the top centre button on the consol do?"

This has got to be one of the most useless buttons. It locks and unlocks the doors from the inside. I have yet to be so paranoid as to lock the doors while driving.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:52 PM
sds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it was my daily car, in some cities under some conditions i would definitely use the door-lock button...but i mostly drive the car at sunny afternoons on open roads...

btw: the immobilizer is simply deactivated by one press on the key fob after turning the key a little (when the icon lits up)...is that a big PITA for you?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:34 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My clutch starts engaging around 50%. I am not crazy about the clutch feel, but I have gotten used to it. The immobilizer is no big deal to me. Turn the ignition key, hit the button on the fob and start the car. I just hope it never strands me.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

I don't get the immobilizer beef.

Its the simplest thing in the world. Either unlock the car and then start right away, or just turn the key, then hit the button and start normally.

Before I got the car I was concerned this would be annoying, but its not at all.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Late model build '95's do have the immobilizer.

Also, I installed a new 996 cup car clutch in my car, and the take-up is at the very bottom of the pedal travel. It's a tad tricky (bit not that hard to adapt to) and is kind of like a light switch, but I like how you can clutch and de-clutch super quickly meaning you can change gears super quickly.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:15 PM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Immobalizer may not be a big deal now that I know I can turn the key, hit the button then start. I was removing the key, locking the car while sitting in it, then unlocking the car, then starting the car! PITA!

If my clutch started to operate at 50% that would be good. I will contact the dealer and see what they say. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:21 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

ON both my 95 and 96 I have to do the "dance" to start the cars. Somewhere in the 96's past the power door locks and alarm were bypassed. I am guessing by the dealer because the original owner thought the alarm was too sensitive and continually going off.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, immobilizer sucks. I had my fob battery go out in the supermarket parking lot with groceries and ice cream melting. So I tried to open the car manually and the alarm went off! It was horrible! People starring at me in annoyance, like "oh look at that douche-bag in his Porsche wanting attention"

.....then I said a hail-mary, closed my eyes as I pressed down on my immobilizer and a flicker of energy was left to disable it and go home. I got lucky.

Moral of the story: change your remote batteries once a year (they sell them at Walgreens) and alternate the use of both remotes throughout the year, constant use extends the life of your batteries, so dont leave the spare one collecting dust all year, cause when you really need it, it may not work.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:00 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
Yes, immobilizer sucks. I had my fob battery go out in the supermarket parking lot with groceries and ice cream melting. So I tried to open the car manually and the alarm went off! It was horrible! People starring at me in annoyance, like "oh look at that douche-bag in his Porsche wanting attention"

.....then I said a hail-mary, closed my eyes as I pressed down on my immobilizer and a flicker of energy was left to disable it and go home. I got lucky.

Moral of the story: change your remote batteries once a year (they sell them at Walgreens) and alternate the use of both remotes throughout the year, constant use extends the life of your batteries, so dont leave the spare one collecting dust all year, cause when you really need it, it may not work.
Good advice. Is there any problem with losing codes or anything when replacing the batteries?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
Good advice. Is there any problem with losing codes or anything when replacing the batteries?
No issues like that. It may be a smart idea to have a spare battery and a small screwdriver in the glove box. Maybe I should listen to my own advice.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vincer77
Originally Posted by ca993twin
No issues like that. It may be a smart idea to have a spare battery and a small screwdriver in the glove box. Maybe I should listen to my own advice.

yeah, its one of those issues easy to forget. Just put it in your calendar...you'll be glad you did.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
yeah, its one of those issues easy to forget. Just put it in your calendar...you'll be glad you did.
Change the IM battery when you change your oil.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:17 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RBP
I bought and took delivery of my 993 this spring. Have to say it is one of the nicest cars I've owned, considering reliability, power, weight distribution, handling and even efficiency.

What I dislike is that the clutch works at the final 1/4 travel close to the floor. My other cars operate with the clutch close to the top of the travel making it easy to engauge.

The other thing I find annoying is teh immobalizer, having to lock and unlock the doors each time you walk away from the car is a PITA. Does anyone know how to turn it off?
For your clutch pedal check out this link at p-car (Robin Sun's website):

http://p-car.com/diy/pedal/

This DIY fixed my issues. I'm sure I posted about it on here years ago.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
For your clutch pedal check out this link at p-car (Robin Sun's website):

http://p-car.com/diy/pedal/

This DIY fixed my issues. I'm sure I posted about it on here years ago.
I believe this issue is different from the OP's concern. This hangup does not really affect engagement, it is more of a nuisance.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Late model build '95's do have the immobilizer.

Also, I installed a new 996 cup car clutch in my car, and the take-up is at the very bottom of the pedal travel. It's a tad tricky (bit not that hard to adapt to) and is kind of like a light switch, but I like how you can clutch and de-clutch super quickly meaning you can change gears super quickly.
I just realized that I meant to write that the take-up of my clutch is at the very top (beginning) of the pedal travel, not the bottom. Sorry for any confusion.

Quick Reply: 993 issues