Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street value of a well sorted track 993?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:14 PM
vanguard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street value of a well sorted track 993?

I'm contemplating the idea of selling my C4S. The previous owner raced it in PCA Club Racing with great success. I purchased the car from him thinking I would do the same but work/life schedule is not allowing it. I'm thinking of replacing it with another car that isn't as raw and single focused and just occassionally track it.

So what is the going value? I know stock S 993 are in the high 40K mark, how much of a depreciation do race cars take?

Details:
'97 993 C4S
52K miles
second owner, zero accidents
2800lbs, approx 300bhp
PPI revealed no issues; compression test numbers are great

stock motor with large K&N cone filter, Porsche motorsport secondary oil cooler, completely gutted interior, no A/C or heater blower box, sealed sunroof, roll cage, two sparco race seats, mychron gold data acquisition, AMB transponder, fiberglass gt2 bumper and rs tail, RS LWF - SS synchros, race header and exhaust, Moton suspension, trg camber plates/sways/strut bar, gt2 uprights, new tires, new rotors, etc etc.

Anyone care to appraise it's worth?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:28 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

What class does it race in? Stock class weight should be in the 3124 range (3324 minus driver). If everything is in good shape I would guess 35-40k.

If this is a GT class car (at 2800lbs it would be) it won’t be competitive and would be worth much less.

edit: just read the GT2 uprights... that would make it a gt car...

Last edited by jscott82; 09-19-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 AM
vanguard
Instructor

you're correct, it ran in gt2 class with numerous podium finishes. but it wont stand a chance in the gt2 now days, possibly gt3 class.

but worst case scenario, you could place ballast at choice locations to meet weight requirements. i'm sure that will offer greater corner balance.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I think something like this would sell for $30K or so. Gone are the days when you could price it at $45K and watch it fly off of the shelf. The AWD really hurts your car's value since most people see AWD as a liability. IMHO.

The GT2 uprights are easy enough to replace to put it back into G class. What color is it? What type of cage? What tracks/what part of the country did the car run?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

300hp stock motor with just a K&N cone filter? Is it a 3.8?
Old 09-21-2011, 02:06 AM
vanguard
Instructor

The spec sheet said it was dyno'ed near 300hp. I haven't personally tested it but the car is fast. I have a E92 M3 (mid 4 second car) and the porsche doesnt feel any slower.

I personally like the AWD; the car is a grip monster. It aids in acceleration and provides confidence in fast sweepers. It may/may not be competitive in GT class (is there a power/weight category?), but it is a great car for DE or time trial.

To replicate a car of this caliber on the 993S platform will easily exceed $50K; I would never let her go for sub-$30K.

Last edited by vanguard; 09-21-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:35 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree with statements above, somewhat of an unusual starting point for a race car. The car could not be competitive in PCA GT classes without a prohibitive investment. Dropping the uprights (and any other disallowed mods) and moving to PCA G-class would be possible, but at 3324 lbs, the car would be a chicane against the 964s running 400 lbs lighter with the same horsepower.

It could potentially be a good NASA GTS3 car (which is based on horsepower to weight), but even then the next owner will have to invest in at least aero to be even remotely competitive. If the car dyno'd at 300 hp, then that was a very optimistic dyno or there was more done than headers and air filter. There are four of us locally with pretty similar 993 track cars (chip, headers, etc) and all of us are putting out approx 260- 270 at the rear wheels (official NASA Dynojet).

It might be an attractive car to someone looking for a DE car, but ultimately the price is going to come down to someone choosing your car over something else available in the same price range. At $50K, you're in 996 cup car territory. I'm sad to say that you'd be lucky to get $30k based on what I'm reading. Pictures and more detailed specs (like type of wheels, spares, and assessment of overall quality of the cage build and interior prep, and more thorough assessment of dates on harness, seats... pending maintenance issues like history on half-shafts, tranny, clutch, wheel bearings, calipers, bushings, shocks for rebuild... consumables like pads, rotors, etc ) may help for a more accurate appraisal.

Post some pics; let's see what we're dealing with here.

Quick Reply: Street value of a well sorted track 993?