Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

HiFi - Dynaudio - DEX P99RS head unit - pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:46 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default HiFi - Dynaudio - DEX P99RS head unit - pictures.

Here's a few pictures of a HiFi option enhancement that's in the works. My MY98 993 was ordered with the CDR 210 radio w/changer and the notorious HiFi speaker option. The stock HiFi arrangement has gone untouched all these years..........

Recently installed were (2) Dynaudio soft dome mid-range drivers in place of the OEM cone drivers; the usable range is 900hz to 5khz. They're sourced from a MY2007 VW EOS donor car optioned with the pricey Dynaudio option. (DSP 600w 10 spkr) The fidelity improvement to the 993 HiFi is startling to say the least; a huge improvement that some of you may elect to merely stop there. (... driven for several weeks with only the CDR-210 CD head unit and the new Dyn mid's, I must say it sounds great. Who woulda thunk. The mid's broad linearity that the new mid brings changes the sound stage dramatically for the better. (the stock HiFi option really suffers from having no EQ. Ok, Ok that's an understatement. )
The plan to use the OEM 5 inch mid-woofer with its transmission line tuned enclosure - only this time with a much needed equalization assist. I've played around with the OEM 5" driver/enclosure measurements with a trusted RTA, its an old mid '80s Crown TEF-Cron analyzer. With the proper EQ this driver/enclosure works fine for a low mid-woofer arrangement. The driver was shared with a B & O speaker model of the day.
2 additional 7 inch Dyn woofers will be added to the rear of the doors, these woofers are sourced from a Dyn built VW or VW Phaeton sedan etc . The Porsche rear shelf units are rebuilt using Dynaudio/Volvo center channel units, modified to accept the 993 HiFi options rear grill facia. Clean power, high quality-linear-low distortion drivers coupled with a dose of full strength EQ and time alignment. We Happy.

The head unit is a top shelf DSP unit Pioneer's Stage 4 series, a DEX P99RS. As for amps its several of the Stage 4 model PRS-A900; they're an expensively built class A/B old sckool design. Straight up amps. No stink'in crossovers, no limiters, no EQ boost, etc. Simply Uber quiet with plenty of system headroom. The P99RS head units aesthetic is non-offensive which was key to this SQ build out. I'll keep ya informed as the project moves along.

P.S., Up for consideration was to keep the stock Porsche CDR-210 head unit passing the signal along to one of the popular aftermarket DSP units ... but nope, The very few (P99RS & 1 Alpine to name a few) very, very top shelf DSP based HU's provide tremendous, herculean system control - not to mention that the four 24/96 DAC's take an iPods input directly, thus bypassing any internal DAC of the iPod/MP3 device. Maybe there's an iPod in my future although I'm still a CD or SACD listener.
Attached Images      

Last edited by M. Schneider; 09-09-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2011, 06:04 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well done ... I have enjoyed a Alpine/DynAudio 340 audio system for a few years
Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey FlatSix911 -

The Dynaudio gear is nice, a welcome palette of understated high-quality gear. I ordered a MY06 VW Jetta TDI a few years ago with all offered by way of an active HiFi arrangement, navigation and the like. Recently discovered was a possible retrofit of a Dynaudio HiFi DSP/Amp module which would make all the difference in the world. OMG. Its covered on the www.tdiclub.com site for those MkV VW GTI, Jetta, GLI, Golf owners; I'd start that TDI thread if there are any questions. It was this that lead the pathway to uprate the 993s antiquated audio system using the Dynaudio gear. Actually, I'd sourced a few too many Dyn DSP/amp modules thinking there could be a fit in the 993, but nope. The newer VW's have their CAN BUS circuits which get in the way. Oh well.

In the end the Dynaudio based 993 coupe build will be top shelf ...

Last edited by M. Schneider; 09-10-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:41 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still have Dyn components sitting around in my spare bedrooom. On the fence about what to do with them.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:48 AM
serval
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Kudos on the stage 4 pioneer unit. It is not only (my opinion) best head unit out there, but also fits perfectly the design aesthetic of the 993. all others are too Star Wars for my taste/
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (04-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2011, 11:12 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by serval
Kudos on the stage 4 pioneer unit. It is not only (my opinion) best head unit out there, but also fits perfectly the design aesthetic of the 993. all others are too Star Wars for my taste/
I think you're right, the aesthetic is as good as it gets, that and the word around the car audio campfire is its a good sounding HU.

The VW/Dynaudio mid-range part number is 7H0-035-415 and xxx-xxx-416 respectively. Its a 2.5-inch mid-range driver said to be a cousin of the Dyn MD140 mid-range driver; from the best that I've culled of the car audio gurus. It sounds great in the 993s HiFi option mid-range driver position.

I should post the slight mid-driver dis-assembily needed to fit into the HiFi option enclosure. After this its a snap. I'll post a few pics's. The mid-range driver swap pay's a big audio dividend in the form of sound stage, bandwidth, detail, etc. A huge improvement on the cheap. $150.00 used or so on eBay.de & eBay.com.

Bart1: What Dynaudio part number's do you have? Remember, ya can't take'em with ya. I'm just saying you could get hit by a bus while crossing the street..... LoL.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 09-10-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 2 way component set, but have both the 7" and 5.5" woofers. I thought about removing the sound from my 993, or going with a really lightweight system (e.g. head unit, RS door panels and a 6.5" coax). The 968 is getting long in the tooth though, so I may sell it soon. Depends on what comes next as to what I do.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

delete
Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Reviving an old thread here....

Working on phase 1 of my hifi audio upgrade. 3" Dynaudio drivers (the VW ones) just arrived and had some questions on mounting them.

1) Did you drill new holes in the hifi box and screw the driver into the new holes? I've removed the outer rim from the driver, but the holes do not line up with the OEM speaker.
2) Is is necessary to get a good seal between the Dyn driver and the box (OEM was really well sealed)? It seems like I'll need to do some "dremelling" of the Dyn to get it to fit perfectly flush.

Phase 2 will likely be a real amp + miniDSP.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:16 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The Dynaudio pictures in this thread are mock-up and not the finished install. Ver 1.1

Yes. Drill or the use of self-tapping screws will do the trick. The Dynaudio 2.5-inch has a back chamber in and of itself. A pliable gasket material was used when securing the Dynaudio to minimize any mounting resonance btw the Dyn and the Hi-Fi enclosure. It's a simple mount.

The miniDSP strategy should be fun. http://www.minidsp.com
^ mpruden, you didn't mention a head unit, presumably an OEM Porsche/Becker CDR version? e.g., 210, 220.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:26 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
1) Did you drill new holes in the hifi box and screw the driver into the new holes? I've removed the outer rim from the driver, but the holes do not line up with the OEM speaker.
2) Is is necessary to get a good seal between the Dyn driver and the box (OEM was really well sealed)? It seems like I'll need to do some "dremelling" of the Dyn to get it to fit perfectly flush.
1) Yes - after you remove the black plastic speaker surround, the Dynaudio fits snugly into the speaker enclosure opening. Just line up the holes and drill new ones.

2) I used some gummy stereo sealer stuff. No dremelling involved.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NP993
No dremelling involved.
Outstanding. I see what you mean. With a little more twisting, I was able to get it to sit flush.

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
The miniDSP strategy should be fun. http://www.minidsp.com
^ mpruden, you didn't mention a head unit, presumably an OEM Porsche/Becker CDR version? e.g., 210, 220.
I'm definitely looking forward to the miniDSP. Having done a bit of work with parametric EQs in a prior life, I *should* be able to get quite a bit of bang for the buck out of just one of the 2x4 boxes. Also, I'm hopeful the small size will make it easy to place under the passenger seat even with a new 4 channel class D amp.

For now, I'm sticking with the CDR 210. If it becomes too much of a sonic bottleneck, I'll try to bypass it at the miniDSP-level, using two miniDSP 2x4 (one for left, one for right) giving me 4 channels of input. 2 for the CDR-210, and 2 for an alternative audio source (iphone, nexus 7, etc). One downside is that I lose the rear speakers. Goal is to keep the car's appearance completely stock and the guts minimally modified.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (04-19-2020)
Old 01-03-2014, 01:26 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is ebay the best place to find these?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:56 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

I got lucky and found the Dyns on eBay.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Found mine on Ebay.de

Quick Reply: HiFi - Dynaudio - DEX P99RS head unit - pictures.