Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Turpentine on a 993s paint, good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 AM
dpowell
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this same thing to happen to my benz a few years ago. I live on the intracoastal waterway and the wind is always blowing. Guy above me had his outside 3rd floor deck sprayed white. My black S500 was speckled with paint. It was covered! I approached the guy and he denied it was him!! OMG. Well I took pictures and called the police. He agreed to do something about it himself. I told the guy - never happen! He argued that he knew more about paint than me since he was a painter. Whatever to that one too.

Anyway - I had the whole car washed, clayed and hand rubbed. The whole thing was $300 and the painter paid for it. It was my first lesson on clay and believe me it really works on not just deposits above the paint surface but also gets the residue in the low spots too. Since then, I've used clay myself many times. Good luck to you and btw - I moved into a house since then!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Claybars were developed for this very reason: to remove overspray in paint shops. I'd buy an aggressive bar and give that a shot. I use the ClayMagic bars found at autoparts stores. I have used these to take off road striping paint with no issues. Most modern car paint is water based and most mild solvents won't hurt them. I actually keep a spray bottle full of mineral spirits handy for cars that have tar all over them. I spray the car down, wait a few minutes, and the tar wipes right off. It makes clay bars last much longer and I have never had a case where it softened up the paint. I'd test spot a 993 though, as I don't know if the paint on that car is single stage and solvent based. If the paint tests OK, a misting of mineral sprits and a few minute wait should allow it to soften up and come off with a rag, and certainly with a bar. One thing to keep in mind, after the bar you may need to polish it. You are going to have to rub pretty hard to get it off.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:50 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the boat business we get varnish all over things it's not supposed to be on. The first thing I would want to determine for certain is what the material is. One part polyurethane varnish is different than tongue oil varnish and neither is water based. I would call the manufacturer of the product and get their input. My guys once sprayed epoxy barrier coat on an 80's something Indy replica corvette (don't ask). Epoxy is a particularly tenacious overspray to remove. It was polished off with cornstarch in a wet slurry. The owner said his car never looked better. Solvents will not usually work by themselves once the material has fully cured. 3M adhesive remover will not harm your paint. You could try wetting a cotton ball with it and taping it over one of the little blobs for a couple of minutes and then you might find it has softened to the point you could remove it with your finger nail.
I would try any of the these on an area not usually seen. I believe the color base on Porsches is water based with a non water based clear urethane top coat. Cured urethane is pretty tough stuff. If the clay bar turns out to be the best method your car will look the best it has ever looked. Good luck .......Chris
Old 09-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow, I'd document this with a pros estimate before you try and fix.

Quick Reply: Turpentine on a 993s paint, good idea?