Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reasons for unusually low priced 993 at dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
It seems to me that tip/cabs sell for less of a discount relative to manual/cabs, then tip/coupes do compared to manual/coupes. The theory being that more cab owners want the "cruising" experience and are less inclined to track the car.

Also, as "time goes by" and the knees, hips and other parts of the body fade; and as traffic congestion continues to worsen, I think tips will hold their own.
You might have a point with the tip/cab thing, and it might be just a bigger market for tip/cabs than coupes.
It's really a completely different car/market as far as the tip go. It can't really be gauged like the market for a c2 6 speed. There is no apples for apples tip to 6 speed - if the 6 speed is $35k then the tip is $30k, it doesn't necessarily work that way. It's not consistent.
What is consistent is that a really nice tip can be had for considerably less. If the buyer is not in "the know," they could possibly pay more than market value than the equivalent 6 speed. I remember a low mile tip cab in an odd ball color going for big money at Barrett Jackson in the mid 2000s.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's interesting because my 993 is a tip and a daily driver. I didn't plan it this way but I couldn't pass on the car at the time and my life situation dictates it as the daily driver. Before I wound up here I would have been firmly in the 6 speed--no tip--no way camp. However, the car is a wonderful daily driver and the tip isn't even an issue for me in the real world. In fact color would be more of a factor than transmission if I needed to do it all over again....
Old 09-07-2011, 06:52 PM
tonic
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another one - that can't be explained away by tip or by cabrio. While it does have 154k miles on it, it seems to me like even higher-mileage 993s regularly go for $30-35k.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-serviced.html

Unfortunately, Paul says he's already taken a deposit on it, or I'd probably be flying down to LA this weekend to pick it up.

Last edited by tonic; 09-07-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tonic
Here's another one - that can't be explained away by tip or by cabrio. While it does have 154k miles on it, it seems to me like even higher-mileage 993s regularly go for $30-35k.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-serviced.html

Unfortunately, Paul says he's already taken a deposit on it, or I'd probably be flying down to LA this weekend to pick it up.
Honestly, at $22k for 154k miles, that doesn't seem to be a really low price. I would happily sell my Cab in another 45k miles for that price!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you, I would drive the Tip car to see if you enjoy driving it.
Perhaps as a daily driver in traffic, you would like it.

I personally find them very uninvolving and not sporty. 'Course you have a M3, and a Miata, so that may not be an issue.

If it were me, and , I was going to keep it a long time for a daily driver, I would investigate the accident history. It may be minor even though it was a reportable incident. The car appears to be dealer serviced.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:23 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 95 silver 6 speed coupe, Pss9s limited slip upgraded sways new tires brakes,newer stereo etc. 111000 mi. It has had some paintwork on the drivers door which isn,t on the carfax. Burns no oil ,everything works. My local dealer tells me it might be worth $22-23. You should be able to find a similar car for that price not a 154000 mile one or a Tip. I also have a 1966 Shelby Mustang( very good clone) and am thinking about selling one of them.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:00 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorta OT: This is not to defend tips, but why would anyone want to daily drive a MT across the bridge and onto Doyle (or Doyle detour) or 19th Ave? I got a tip because I got tired of driving in Bay Area congestion with my MT 911. The biggest problem I find with the 993 AT is the sluggish 2nd gear start in auto mode. But an AT is so great for the traffic of a daily commute.

As for the purity of the "sport" experience of a MT in daily driving (off-track) - my view is that it's just the emotional feedback of involvement rather than a driving advantage. If one really wants sport shifting, try an old Vette 3-speed or XKE or TR-3 or Healy, or many others with no synchro into first. Of course, just one guy's opinion while resisting Saturday chores.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:57 PM
jeff522
Racer

When I was looking for my 993 I came across this one. There were a few things about it. Its NOT a MT-6, from the pics the inside looks a little tore-up of such low miles. Either the odometer issue is real, or the car was not well cared for, or both. Generally if the inside has not been cared for, the rest of the car has also had some abuse, or neglect. Its been wrecked, how bad. Was it a little scuffed or real damage?
Old 09-11-2011, 12:16 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 600RR
The biggest problem I find with the 993 AT is the sluggish 2nd gear start in auto mode.
If I'm not mistaken this can partly be solved by driving with the lever in 3rd which the car recognizes as sport mode and will start off in 1st.

Quick Reply: Reasons for unusually low priced 993 at dealer?