993 Forum 1995-1998

another lack of respect moment

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:56 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Great story Joe!
We know you really care for the car and have done some great upgrades. However you seem to accept/handle the risks of driving the car in a world where very few respect/care about the effort and sacrifices that are made to acquire/keep/maintain a 993.
It's taken me about 7 years to get closer to your attitude of "it's just a car"(I might be at around 75% of Joe's attitude) - even though it is more than just a regular car.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:58 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 277 Posts

You handled that graciously Joe. Hats off to you sir.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:06 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
You story is a sad, but common, tale about the lack of respect in our modern American society, alas.
And its only getting worse, not better, thanks to the crap that TV brainwashes the public with.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts
Default the "it's just a car" line

it's easier to say, than believe most of the time.

I made myself believe that when I first started looking for my 993. Once you decide you want a driver, the car's mere existence in the "real" world presents a challenge everyday.

Hell, I got a rock into the windshield...and a big chip, on the drive home with the car. Less than two hours of ownership in...Real world 1-Magdaddy 0.

I've had numerous sunny day only garage queens in my life, that were cleaned more than driven. When I think back about all the various ownership experiences I've had, it's simply hard to remember some that didn't involve a car show prep here and there.

The best memories involve often times wrecking stuff-usually that Audi I have mentioned before. That car essentially changed my prespective forever, that I could...scratch that- that I SHOULD, have a DD that was fun and exciting. I plan on owning a Porsche everyday for the rest of my life, and driving it as much as possible. I still won't subject my car to winter use, although a winter wheelset will apear sometime down the line I'm sure.

It's my midlife "reward" car, and it does indeed reward me with every use. That's why there is a bike rack strapped atop it, so I can do with it what I like to do. In the real world it stands out, but nothing can protect it from that stray rock, golf club, or wide swinging door in the parking lot. I'd much rather damage happen to it in the real world than, ummm the broom handle fell against it in the garage type of thing.

Yes it's just a car...a beautiful looking, driving machine with simply intoxicating sounds and smells.

I pity all the poor fools who drive anything less-Mr. T voice off
Old 09-05-2011, 01:44 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
You demonstrated extraordinary poise and set a good example for your daughter.
+1000 Joe.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
mikej
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+10000 on all above comments. I bought my 993 as a reward and assuming I'll have it 'til I can't drive anymore. But it has to live in the real world... which is to say that random speed bump or rock-into-the-windshield or door bang. I won't go ballistic when it happens... but I try not to park in tight spaces (and walk a little farther to do it), and slow down for that damn bump.

So thumbs up to the life lesson you gave your daughter!!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:25 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Joe,
Good story, and exemplary restraint. I think I would have shoved the perp into the minivan's exhaust pipe.

Andreas
Old 09-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Joe,
Good story, and exemplary restraint. I think I would have shoved the perp into the minivan's exhaust pipe.

Andreas
simply following your fine example from W. Virginia my friend.

Does this qualify as a "pay it forward" moment for not choking the scrawny bastard?

In this case, nature dealt this kid such a $hit hand that...what could I do.

Quick Reply: another lack of respect moment