Sponsored by:

Buying Strategy for my first 993

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 AM
pingwrx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhughesinc
I've been patiently checking all the normal channels on my search. I agree with Magdaddy, buying from a fellow RL member would definitely give me more confidence in the car that it's been taken care of like they should. The active RL members tend to have higher standards than the typical p-car owner.
So true! I just purchased my first 993, triple black Cab with 78k miles from a RL member and couldn't be more happy about my purchase. He had ALL the records and the mods were tastefully done. We communicated through emails and when I saw the car for the first time...it was better then expected.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 AM
dhughesinc
Rennlist Member

Calling all RListers.... wanna sell me your black 993 coupe? Feel free to contact me!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 PM
dhughesinc
Rennlist Member

Calling off all rlisters...I dont need any more offers. I'm now a proud owner of a black/black 96 c4. I ended up finding one that I wanted and confident in the history. It was well taken care of and it shows! Thanks for all the advice.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:43 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont believe 993's are appreciating but rather they are vehicles that are appreciated.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 PM
993 770
Pro

This
Old 09-29-2011, 11:18 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just finished reading this string for the first time. Sounds like Dave found the right car, which ends his search for information and a car. But, I just wanted to chime in about the ongoing discussions of the merits of low mileage cars. Having owned a number of 911's over the years, I have reached several conclusions that seem to hold true from my observations:

1. Most cars that are maintained will last a very long time. Motor bottom ends are damn near bullet proof and it is normal to see motors that go over 200k miles without the need to split the case for replacement of bottom end hardware.
2. I truly believe that these cars run better and are more reliable if they are driven often.....and when driven, are driven hard. That does not mean that all shifts are done at redline; but, rather that you maintain the engine speeds in all gears so that you are well into the optimum power band......which means running the engines at higher revs.
3. Low mileage cars usually means that they are seldom driven and when driven are not run long or hard. My experience has shown that cars that fall into this definition suffer more leaks and more "strange" types of problems than those that are driven regularly and correctly.
4. By the time a car has reached 100k miles, it generally has gone through at least one replacement of wear and tear items such as brakes, clutch, hydraulic actuators, etc. Much of that stuff gets replaced in the 60 to 80K miles range, so buying the car at 100k miles means getting a vehicle that has another 50 to 80k miles of trouble free driving before needing replacement of those wear and tear items again.
5. If you buy a low mileage car and then put 10k miles on it, the "value" will drop markedly for the next buyer who no longer sees your car as "low mileage" (at least not as low as when you bought it). Conversely, if you buy a 100k mile car and put 10k well maintained miles on it......I would argue that there is little if any impact on resale value of the car.
6. There are lots of items that determine the value of a car. I just purchased a 100k mile 993 and paid $34k for it. Most would say that I overpaid for the car. But, the car has been well maintained, is cosmetically equal to a car that has less than 50k miles on it, has been tastefully fitted with the PSS9 suspension, light weight flywheel, sport clutch and a killer stereo system, MY02 wheels and was exactly the color combo I had been searching for (arena red over cashmere). It was lowered and corner balanced. And, though it is high mileage every door, lid, or cover on the car opens properly and is perfectly fitted and the car is as rigid and quiet as a new car. For me, it is the perfect car......even if I paid a lot for it.

7. So, the bottom line is that if you want a low mileage car and plan on not driving it (which is a waste if you own a Porsche!), then you should be willing to pay the upcharge for the low mileage. The low mileage will assure that you will get top dollar for it when you sell it. But, understand that buying a low mileage car does not give you a car that is necessarily mechanically any better than a higher mileage example of the same model.

Obviously I believe the hype that these cars are built to be driven. Not to be garage queens.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:35 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

Everyone is different. For some there cannot be enjoyment without first having done the financials and having stuck to them. For others it is the garage queen thing. For me it was the car being in budget (so that I could buy it) and needing work so that I could indulge in my passion for spannering, and via that come to truly know the car.

Berni
Old 09-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Where are the pictures of the new ride?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:02 AM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

THREAD
Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

IS WORTHLESS
Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
dhughesinc
Rennlist Member

is it really necessary to post that the thread is worthless? I admit that it might be ridiculous to some, but come on!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

I'm jumping into the porsche world for the first time and desire a great weekend car.
Well I guess you have the right to ride for free as anybody does. I just think you are buying a car for the wrong reason.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

without
Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

is it really necessary to post that the thread is worthless? I admit that it might be ridiculous to some, but come on!!!
PICTURES...
Old 09-30-2011, 12:55 PM
dhughesinc
Rennlist Member

IXLR8, In your opinion what is the right reason to buy a 993?

For me personally, it started off loving the style of the car and trying to buy one without getting screwed. But now since owning one, I realize the joy actually driving it. The quickness and the handling supersede the looks.

Quick Reply: Buying Strategy for my first 993