993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: '97 BMW M3 SAI issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default OT: '97 BMW M3 SAI issues

It's not only our Porsche's that have SAI issues, my M3 has them too.

Last winter the SAI pump, which is located in the engine compartment, pass. side up near the windshield, started making a loud squealing noise when I started the car. Remember the SAI pump only runs for 2 min on cold startup. First thought it was a fan belt idler pulley but after checking it out it was the SAI blower motor. After living with it a bit I decided to take the blower apart to see if I could clean/repair it. Blew lots of crap out and lubed the bearings but it only lasted another 3 mos or so. Now the motor has failed bad enough it's not pushing enough air and posting SAI error codes and Check Engine light.

When I first discovered it was the SAI pump problem I went online looking for new replacement parts, damn they were expensive. $350 ~ 400 from the discount shops. That was when I decided to take it apart myself. After it failed for good and was posting SAI error codes I decided to check Ebay, sure enough a "Volvo Parts" shop has these things "refurbished" for about $140 and my old pump (core). Much better than the $400 IMHO, however it recommended that you replace the SAI Valve too and that part can only be found new at about $120 (discount).

So the pump is here but I'm waiting for the valve to come in. Both parts are really easy to get too and should be done in about 30 min. My state emission inspection is due this month and this will give me the opportunity to do the "BMW Drive Cycle" routine on an actual BMW instead of a Porsche!

While the parts are much cheaper on the Porsche (as long as you don't have to do a top end rebuild) it takes much less time to replace the parts on the BMW.

For a 91k mi. car the M3 has had very few mechanical failures since I've owned it. I did do a (preventative) coolant system replacement (w/ Stewart water pump too) at about 68k mi. but other than replacing the EVAC system air canister back by the fuel filler it's been a pretty good (and fun) car.

I'll update after I get the parts installed and she passes insp.

Quick Reply: OT: '97 BMW M3 SAI issues