993 Forum 1995-1998

Radio Install Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:03 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Install Help needed

I know there are many writeups on this but they are all a bit confusing or not the same model. I spoke to SW Radio and Beckers and they were not exactly sure. You might need this or that ...not very definite. Has anyone done this exact install from CR1 to CDR220. I do not have an exterior cd player or amplifier under the seat. Its a 1995. I am not great at electrical and would like to minimize wire cutting. Any suggestions or plugs I should buy?They are numbered for ease of use. Many thanks Doug
Attached Images    
Old 08-27-2011, 11:00 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

How timely. I just bought a CDR220 for my 95 993. I'm watching this post closely. If you need an owners manual for the CDR220, let me know.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:39 AM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

I have been told that you can buy some plugs that would allow for an easy install but it looks like we would need to cut the wires from the back of the CR1 and wire them into the proper set of plugs for the CDR 220. Lets see if someone who has done this will chime in. Doug
Old 08-28-2011, 10:05 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

In spite of what some people that are trying to sell something tell you, you only need an antenna adopter the replace a base (not premium sound) CD1 with a CDR 220. Watch out for the tar like substance that is on the CRI wire harness. Cover your dash and floor.
- remove the rectangular face plate with a small screwdriver . you won't reuse it.
- lift the locks to midpoint on each side as you jiggle the old radio out.
- slide out the old carrier by prying any tabs from the inside with a small screwdriver. If it doesn't come out you have missed some.
- two to the three plugs will fit into the CDR 220 as well as the antenna adopter.
- before putting in the new radio pry open the tabs at the back as they are tight fitting.
Install, replace fuse and put in security code. Your set to go. Here are a few pics.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:06 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Forgot the pictures
Attached Images     
Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good work, Doug. Glad to see my old Boxster radio at work.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There should be plug labels on the head units but some times they get scratched up. I thought someone had posted an electronic vs. of the manuals here somewhere. I really don't think you need to cut any plugs to do the swap.

I have one file with connection info, it's in HTML so not sure if I can attach it, may have to convert it.

Yeah, I'll have to convert it. Let me work on it.

Edit: I found the Becker CDR-220 Manual in pdf if you need it PM me your email address as it's far too big to post.

PORSCHE/AFTERMARKET CONNECTOR DIAGRAM
Pin..............A...................................................... ...B............................C
1 Speed dependent volume control (GAL)......Right rear +..........Line out rear left
2 Not used ..................................Right rear - .......................... Line out rear right
3 Phone mute (ground to activate)....................Right front +..............AF Chassis (ground)
4 Constant 12V.................................................Right front -..........Line out front left
5 Ant trig (12V when radio on)..........................Left front +............Line out front right
6 Illumination..................................................Left front -.............Control output for amplifier
7 Ignition............................................Left rear +.......................7-20 for BECKER CD CHANGER
8 Ground.............................................Left rear -

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Radio Install Help needed