Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Any experience with dying tan seats black?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Try Fibrennew West. They are a franchise and have locations, mostly mobile. I have uses them in my area and the results were amazing and the prices were fair. I had them do a small job so I can't address the cost of doing seats. Just another option.

http://www.fibrenew.com/bay_area/
Old 08-27-2011, 02:23 PM
owen meany
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will look into fibrenew. The local guy that I checked out (http://leatherrestore.com/) left me a message and he couldn't get behind the idea of changing color as it wasn't a long term fix in his opinion and that the color would only be a thin layer over the deeper original color. He also spoke of the difficulty in spraying good coverage into the cracks and folds of the seat. His price, without seeing the seats would be in the neighborhood of $500. A bit more than I want to spend. I need to speak with him directly and share some of your thoughts with him. If all of you are doing a DIY with good results why isn't a professional more confident. Is he just a perfectionist? Of course the best would be to already have black seats if I want black seats. That's not where I'm at obviously.
The car is mostly a weekend car.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:37 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by owen meany
I I need to speak with him directly and share some of your thoughts with him. If all of you are doing a DIY with good results why isn't a professional more confident.
The difference is he has to warranty his work and we don't have to warranty our DIY efforts.

However, share with him you don't use the sprayer to get in the cracks and along the piping, you use a detail brush. Actual seat coverage is also done with a large brush; at least that's how I did it. The sprayer is the final finish step to even out the textured look and remove any remaining brush marks.

Far be it by me however to disagree with a professional. He does this for a living. I'm just an EE that went into this to save a buck. If you like, I can take some photos of my 6 year old dyed seats.

Quick Reply: Any experience with dying tan seats black?