Sponsored by:

AC resistor install - difficult DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Just noticed this thread. I super glued the washer to the bottom of the A/C resistor. Once you are in there swearing you will understand why.......
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I mounted these slightly modified resistors on a stud just behind the inner fender liner .... OEM resistors can easily mount in the same location: simply disconnect the plug & forget about the dead resistor/removing bumper cover, headlights, dropping fans, heat exchangers, etc ..... mount the new and connect - job done.

BTW, the mod ones have been in 2 years now - functioning perfectly.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:02 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it it as well....The glued washer is a great hint...Also, it is a PIA but not impossible..if you get stuck...walk away..have a beer...come back..
Old 08-26-2011, 04:08 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this recently. It took a few hours. But I typically work on new/unknown mechanical projects at moderate pace. I did all the searches here on RL, got good info. And then went to a highly recommended site (p-car.com) and pretty much folllowed the step by step process described there. http://p-car.com/diy/fan/ I will say that I removed 4 (IIRC) more screws and one plastic panel, which made the job much easier. I could see and easily reach the faulty resistor, bonus!

If the link doesn't work, go to the site and look for: 964/993 Oil Cooler Fan Operation & Troubleshooting
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
it's a bitch, but easy once you've done one.
don't have to remove the front bumper cover
DO have to lift the car, remove the wheel, wheel liner and i strongly recommend you remove the headlight and figure out which fastener helps hold the heat exchanger frame to the sheetmetal. (I think the fastener in question is a 10mm SHCS that points straight down into a bracket.)
Once removed you can take out a few more fasteners that hold the EX to the sheetmetal (sit down facing the brake rotor and look for likely fasteners / rubber friction bushings that hold the frame in place) , pull the heat EX out and down a few inches and you then have MUCH easier access to the resistor.

then you have to figure out how the resistor is attached to the frame.
One side, (oil cooler of AC heat EX) is a 6 or 8mm SHCS, the other side is a Phillips head screw................. I think.

i don't see how it would be possible to do this through the headlight opening.

have fun
Craig

Interesting. On my 98 C2S, the oil cooler resistor was attached with a hex head cap screw, while the resistor mounted on the A/C condenser was held in place with a socket head cap screw (4mm socket head). Could it be that Porsche used different hardware on different cars?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Sweet993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler and ac condenser resistor

Just told both resistors are shot. Little intimidated by number of variations in the methods of replacement. Any advice?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:16 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet993
Just told both resistors are shot. Little intimidated by number of variations in the methods of replacement. Any advice?
Go either with pcar.com or what is already discussed in some other postings here. There is no real news on this and some is preference. you can always take the bumper off and if you have sone this a couple of times, you might go this route. If not, you will most likely go with the procedure that requires a little bit of patience while the bumper is on.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did the ac side last week. If you have a non-turbo bumper, remove the splitter, loosen the 2 nuts holding the condenser to the condenser frame, and the 3 nuts on the condenser frame to the body, pull everything down a few inches to give access to the resistor. It takes maybe fifteen minutes to remove these 5 or 6 nuts. You will have a much better access to the allen bolt this way and can then swap the resistor is less than 2 minutes.

I wasted at least 20 minutes trying to get an allen key in there with everything still bolted up, just couldn't do it.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

I would give the DIY Difficulty a 2 out of 10 because of the limited access.

Here is how I recently found mine:

IMO any owner who is aware of this issue, and removes their bumper without checking, should have their Porsche taken away!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul M
I just did the ac side last week. If you have a non-turbo bumper, remove the splitter, loosen the 2 nuts holding the condenser to the condenser frame, and the 3 nuts on the condenser frame to the body, pull everything down a few inches to give access to the resistor. It takes maybe fifteen minutes to remove these 5 or 6 nuts. You will have a much better access to the allen bolt this way and can then swap the resistor is less than 2 minutes.

I wasted at least 20 minutes trying to get an allen key in there with everything still bolted up, just couldn't do it.
And if you do have a turbo bumper, remove the whole bumper. I removed/replaced mine by myself and it wasn't difficult at all. It saved an awful lot of agony and was well worth the additional hour or so of work on top of the 5 minutes it took to replace the resistor once the bumper was off.

Quick Reply: AC resistor install - difficult DIY?