Check your Motive Power Bleeder!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by motive
Hi All,

I was told by one of the rennlist members that there was a discussion on the Motive Bleeder. As one of the owners I'd like to address a few points.

1) Checking/Replacing the hose - we recommend replacement of the hose every 3-4 years. When my partner and I bought the company 3 years ago one of things we did was source just about all Chinese made parts into the US. The hose was one of those parts that were previously sourced from China and now is sourced from a manufacturer in the USA. The specs on the newer hose are better than the old hose but as it's only been in use for 3 years we still recommend replacing it every 3-4 years. Cleaning the unit including the hose after use will prolong the life. Brake fluid when it combines with moisture and then is allowed to dry in the hose isn't good for the hose life. We sell replacement hose for about the same price as the hose sold at Home Depot - we include replacement clamps with the hose.

2) Cleaning the unit - it can be pretty simply done by using a few ounces of denatured alcohol. Drain the unit of brake fluid, pour in the denatured alcohol, swirl it around and pump it out the hose. Allow to air dry - the denatured alcohol doesn't leave any residue and nicely cleans the unit.

3)Regarding "wtfruit was motive thinking when they used Oetiker clamps". Well the same thing BMW and Porsche was thinking ;-). There are a few issues with using worm drive clamps. a)worm gear hose clamps do not provide even pressure as a stepless oetiker clamp. You can actually tear and crimp a hose if you're not careful using a worm gear clamp. b) when my guys are using 600-800 clamps a day you can imagine that would result in repetitive motion injuries screwing on worm clamps, c) finally it is less expensive to use the oetiker clamps and we try to keep costs down while making a quality product. They do have the disadvantage of having to destroy them when being replaced. They are easily removed if you know the trick. If you click on this link it will show a picture of a clamp

http://www.oetiker.com/content.asp?l=4&idNavig=25

where you see the rectangular cut out - if you stick a thin screwdriver or knife edge under the lip and lift it up carefully (don't stab yourself in the palm) you can loosen the clamp and pull it apart.

4) Using the unit dry - obviously it works fine with the caveats mentioned regarding allowing the m/c to drain

5) It is always a good idea as others have mentioned to have some towels around your m/c especially in a 911 type car. And always keep some clean water handy - brake fluid spills will not cause damage if immediately flushed with water.

6) Not sure where the urban legend that the Bav Auto bleeder is made by Motive came from. IT IS NOT. It is identical to a unit I've seen peddled by a Chinese manufacturer at SEMA. I don't know where Bav Auto has theirs made - but it's not by Motive.

7) I would also recommend that when someone has a problem with a product they contact the manufacturer directly as most of us are actually proud of our products and always looking to keep our customers happy.

If the original poster Edward wants to email me at mromani@motiveproducts.com with his shipping address we'll send him a quart of ATE Type 200.

If anyone has any questions feel free to email me - I don't have the time to monitor a forum.

Best regards and enjoy your days at the track.

Marco
Marco,
hey, thanks for taking the time to come here and respond. Good stuff and good info.
We haven't had a problem with the hoses or clamps at our shop yet... but this thread certainly got my attention. I'd hate to have that happen on a client's car.

I really like Marc Shaw's quick disconnect idea... and while refreshing our Motive I think we'll convert to a QD line also (we use ours dry, need to so we can use a variety of fluid types).
Hey, maybe this is an opportunity for another version of your product

ciao!
Mark
Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
FWIW, I love my Speedbleeders.
I installed Speedbleeders on my BMW K1200RS. They work great for that application as I can't use the Motive on it. I'll stick with using the Motive on all of my autos though.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are some pictures of the quick-connectors I added to the Motive.

Marc

Old 11-13-2011, 05:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I use my Motive dry but added quick-connects to the hose so I don't have to re-pressurize the canister each time.

Marc
Now that I've implemented your idea, thanks again for that very good tip, Marc!

I put up a write-up with pics if anyone is interested.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I use my Motive dry but added quick-connects to the hose so I don't have to re-pressurize the canister each time.

Marc
Beside not having to re-pressurize, it's a pain to unscrew the cap with the bottle attached every time you need to refill, unless I didn't do it right. The quick connector is a must. Thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 04:29 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

My hose failed today. I did the pressure test without fluid and everything was ok. When I was on wheel 3, it started to splash out, luckily enough away from the car. My hoses were about 4 years old and I put the replacement now on a 2-3 year schedule ... If you have not replaced the hose: DO IT, THEY WILL FAIL!

Quick Reply: Check your Motive Power Bleeder!!!