Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RJT
LOVE Carmel... :-)

It is a lot of people. I happen to know there is more of us, but they haven't added themselves to the list yet.
Since we'll all already be in the same place, at the same time. How about a luch time (or post event?) meet up, one of the days at the track?

Craig
Old 08-24-2011, 08:23 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 343 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Targa
Since we'll all already be in the same place, at the same time. How about a luch time (or post event?) meet up, one of the days at the track?

Craig

I already suggested that somewhere and didn't really get but one answer that said, we'll be all over the place at the track so that might not be a good idea.

Post event would be harder than lunch... I would think... since most folks boogie out of Laguna Seca fast to make it back to the hotels for showers, shaves and then off to dinner.

Maybe a few more people will pipe up this time. More ideas please.

Ken (race911) was trying to get something together, but with our size group it won't be easy.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I still think Tarpy's is quite convenient after a day at LS. We had a 20-something group on the side porch a few years ago. It only takes commitment by attendees to show up.

Baja Cantina could work too on the back deck. Maybe a Paypal acct for $20 deposits or something to ensure headcount? If the group is big enough, we need some kind of safety net.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 658 Likes on 320 Posts

Me and my buddies coming out from Florida and we are up for some left coast food and drinks, just tell us where and when.
Rich
Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'll go where ever you guys want to go, but just remember, this isn't a group of 20 we are talking about. We are already over 40 cars and most folks have 2 per car.... I LOVE Tarpy's, it's a historics weekend tradition, but parking there is atrocious. I can't think of a better word than atrocious. Two years ago it took us over a half hour of driving in circles to find a place to park. Jager finally spotted a place for us between a tree and an SUV and stood in it and waited for us to loop back one last time. We were in the MINI so we could fit. Had we been in the Porsche, I think we would have given up. A few of our group finally gave up and went elsewhere because they never did show up for dinner.

Whatever you guys decide will be fine by me, just remember we got a lot of folks and a lot of cars. I'm flying in so I'll have a rental. If I have to squeeze in next to a tree, so be it.

PS: Ed were you there with the Pelican guys? We were there sitting right next to them. I think the pelican guys got there about a half hour before the rennlist bunch.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJT
I'll go where ever you guys want to go, but just remember, this isn't a group of 20 we are talking about. We are already over 40 cars and most folks have 2 per car.... I LOVE Tarpy's, it's a historics weekend tradition, but parking there is atrocious. I can't think of a better word than atrocious. Two years ago it took us over a half hour of driving in circles to find a place to park. Jager finally spotted a place for us between a tree and an SUV and stood in it and waited for us to loop back one last time. We were in the MINI so we could fit. Had we been in the Porsche, I think we would have given up. A few of our group finally gave up and went elsewhere because they never did show up for dinner.

Whatever you guys decide will be fine by me, just remember we got a lot of folks and a lot of cars. I'm flying in so I'll have a rental. If I have to squeeze in next to a tree, so be it.
Well, experience has shown that potential attendees tend to drop out at the end, so I may be a bit skeptical. Parking: I almost got in a fight over a space with some loser that tried to pull a fast one on Ruby two years ago. We prevailed.

We had dinner there last Saturday-it was spooky; not crowded like normal and even a few empty spots at 7:30pm. I couldn't figure it out....food was great, great server, nobody got sick....but you're right, parking can suck. Maybe the Cantina-they're certainly car friendly, and a fun quick drive over Laureles Grade.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:13 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Well, experience has shown that potential attendees tend to drop out at the end, so I may be a bit skeptical. Parking: I almost got in a fight over a space with some loser that tried to pull a fast one on Ruby two years ago. We prevailed.

We had dinner there last Saturday-it was spooky; not crowded like normal and even a few empty spots at 7:30pm. I couldn't figure it out....food was great, great server, nobody got sick....but you're right, parking can suck. Maybe the Cantina-they're certainly car friendly, and a fun quick drive over Laureles Grade.
Was the Loser in a Veyron?

Cantina might be a better bet. Do they take reservations for 40?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Quick food review from last weeks stay:

Tarpy's: Good as usual but a bit loud and the tables were very close together
Cannery Row Brewing Company: Good bar type food, fast and relatively inexpensive
1833: Very cool house turned restaurant, semi expensive but very good food
Montrio Bistro: Good location and good food, limited menu for non sea food eaters

We'll definitely hit 1833 again in October...

All of the above are available on Opentable
Attached Images      
Old 08-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJT
Was the Loser in a Veyron?

Cantina might be a better bet. Do they take reservations for 40?
They might....since they are car-centric, they may be more apt to handle large car groups, and we wouldn't have to deal with parking issues.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:54 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RJT
Do they take reservations for 40?
Can the restaurant accommodate more people should they show up? It is possible that there may be a lot more than 40 people. Most of the people responding to this thread are from the 993 forum. People from other forums might jump on the bandwagon as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95C4VanIsle
Can the restaurant accommodate more people should they show up? It is possible that there may be a lot more than 40 people. Most of the people responding to this thread are from the 993 forum. People from other forums might jump on the bandwagon as well.
That is why I thing that shooting for the back patio would be prudent, as it would allow some overflow. But, who in the heck has the time to organize a party for that many people, without underwriting sponsorship or pay in advance fixed menu? I think the idea here is to keep this somewhat informal.

I do know of a Porsche-related corporate entity or two that are considering such a event sponsored.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:27 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Passion Fish in Pacific Grove has two rooms for large groups; the smaller seats 25-30, the larger 50-60.
Great seafood and wine list. I do not know if they have availability. Any interest? (We are already booked there for friday dinner at 7pm.)
Phil
Old 08-25-2011, 02:36 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

We're going to be organizing a big gathering event up there - perhaps renting out an winery. Working on it now...

-Wayne
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
We're going to be organizing a big gathering event up there - perhaps renting out an winery. Working on it now...

-Wayne
Well, I didn't want to be the one to spill the beans after speaking with you at Concorso....
Old 08-25-2011, 02:59 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts

-Wayne
I like that idea! Count us in.

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Rennsport Reunion IV Roll Call