Sponsored by:

Question for ToreB regarding air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:03 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Thanks; what I figured but wasn't 100% sure.

This on my 12 year old Honda daily driver; my 993 is ice cold...in fact, too cold.

The Honda had a slow leak many years ago; every late fall when it got cold, so I suspected an O-ring. I'd top it up a tad and all was well till the next fall. Then I used a dye to try to find the very slow leak with no results. After using the dye, it hadn't leaked for more than 5 years, till this summer.

I now have to vacuum the system, because you can only top up so often.

The factory Honda manual shows measuring the oil poured out of the old compressor and adding the same amount of fresh oil when replacing the compressor.

Even R134a? I wonder why they sell it a auto stores without a permit required?
yes, if you remove compressor and drain oil, you need to add the same amount that was drained.

yes, even r134a...
you can add it, just can't vent it. At least here in the states
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Last night I looked at the area where the expansion valve sits in order to get an idea of how to approach this. I had forgotten how far buried underneath other components the valve is located. I can't see how to get to it without removing some items first.

Mark, could you point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
Last night I looked at the area where the expansion valve sits in order to get an idea of how to approach this. I had forgotten how far buried underneath other components the valve is located. I can't see how to get to it without removing some items first.

Mark, could you point me in the right direction? Thanks!
yes, it is "fun" to get to...

With the firewall in place, you'll need to remove the flap solenoid assy that sits above it.
The Evaporator DIY has some pix that may help: http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...orator_Replace

Also, tape up any sharp edges that you might have your hands against for extended periods of time. Saves some pain

Quick Reply: Question for ToreB regarding air conditioning