Need feedback about my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:52 AM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Need feedback about my suspension

I need some feedback whether or not the feel I’m getting from my suspension is normal.

I don’t track the car, but I like driving my car thru the canyon once in a while. When I brake hard driving over light to mild uneven payment, the tires have a hard time gripping the road - Almost feels like the suspension is too tight.

I installed Bilstein HDs, H & R Springs, and Turbo sway bars less than 5,000 ago. Is this normal with this type of set up?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:34 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Many people feel that HDs are overdamped for H&Rs. I disagree. My previous cab had this combo, my current one is on HDs and M030s with some autocrosses.

So I would blame the tires. What tires are you on? How old?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:54 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by agent325
I need some feedback whether or not the feel I’m getting from my suspension is normal.

I don’t track the car, but I like driving my car thru the canyon once in a while. When I brake hard driving over light to mild uneven payment, the tires have a hard time gripping the road - Almost feels like the suspension is too tight.

I installed Bilstein HDs, H & R Springs, and Turbo sway bars less than 5,000 ago. Is this normal with this type of set up?
With all due respect to Mike's opinion, I agree with your impressions. The HDs have far too much compression dampening. As result, my car would step out when encountering pavement imperfections in corners. I replaced them with KW V3s. Much better now.

Cheers,
Joe

Cheers,
Joe
Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Unfortunatly, it is impossible to get a perfect set up, as you require a different spring/damper set depending on the road (race track), courners, bumps and condition of the road. So any compination is a compromise.

In saying that I had standard dampers with eibach springs and this does not work as the springs are to stiff for the damper and you get the issue you have decribed, the wheels/tyres don't comply with the road and the front wheels skip across the road on bumpy corners. I have changed to Bilstein PSS10's and these work well, a good compromise, with adjustment in the bounce and rebound.
I have tried the standard springs and dampers as well but they tend to be soft and have bounce and rebound issues, I guess you get sea sick.

So the best bet is to look at what the main aim of your car is and purchase the best compromise.
Possibly PSS10's, personal opinion

Thanks,
Old 08-08-2011, 11:58 AM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Many people feel that HDs are overdamped for H&Rs. I disagree. My previous cab had this combo, my current one is on HDs and M030s with some autocrosses.

So I would blame the tires. What tires are you on? How old?
I bought P Zeros 2 months ago - Tires have less than 300 miles
Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not a fan of PZeros. Do check their pressures and let us know. If you have a chance to borrow a set of wheels with tires locally to try out and see how another tire behaves, I'd definitely start with that. I would also check front alignment very carefully.

Joe, above, voiced an opinion that I was mentioning in my post. I will say that I've had several E30s and one of them had Bilstein Sports (same valving as HD) + Eibachs. E30 community also had many folks who felt that the car floated, especially in the rear, due to overdamped Bilsteins. If, as Joe mentions, the car steps out in corners, that's downright dangerous and I'd do exactly what he did - replace the suspension immediately. It has not happen to me on the 2 street cabs, nor on E30, but this would give me all the reasons I need to dislike the shocks that did that.

So I wanted to say that there are diverging opinions out there. I do believe that suspension is very much a "feel" thing and does depend on driving style a whole lot. So you might very well be leaning to the side that dislikes HDs. If that's the case and you can not work things out with tires, pressure and alignment, the next step would be suspension replacement. Koni FSD is the easy way to go while keeping teh springs. PSS10. KW, JIC and a number of other coilovers are available for some more serious setups and at about 2-3 times the price.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:24 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, I'm guessing these symptoms may be more pronounced in coupes given their increased rigidity.

Like you I've had a number of E30s. My old E30 M3 had Bilsteins which exhibited the same overdamped feel (at least to me) as they did in my 993. My E30 325is (with E30 M3 suspension) had Koni yellows which were much better.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:47 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe, that's a very interesting point, actually, as my E30s were cabs, just like my 993.

I also remember that 5-6 years ago a local Rennlister asked me to drive his 993 that had a very "flighty" feel in the front after recent suspension and alignment work. We took it for a little ride through some twisties and it, indeed, felt... not planted. Back for another alignment and the car was fine. My guess is toe was set at a really odd setting. So I'd check that, as suggested and see. If that doesn't help, it's time to chose between Koni FSDs, Yellows or coilovers, depending on application. Or a set of Monroes that someone is selling on classifieds right now.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Zuffenhausen :O)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agent325

What else did you change at the time? The rubber top mounts are also a favourite, and usually knackered by the time of a suspension refresh, did you also have the rest of the components checked out for wear?

Whilst it may not be always obvious the devil is in the detail!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:10 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JM993
With all due respect to Mike's opinion, I agree with your impressions. The HDs have far too much compression dampening. As result, my car would step out when encountering pavement imperfections in corners. I replaced them with KW V3s. Much better now.

Cheers,
Joe

Cheers,
Joe
Tend to agree with this. Had HDs on my previous 993 and they felt harsh.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched out my H&R springs /HD set up and replaced the springs with the MO33 set up (kept the HD's with the MO33 set up). TheH&R's and HD's provided a ride that was too rough. Not enough suspension compliance. I'm sure I went to the other extreme when I switched to the stock spring rate, which is what the MO33 offers as far as I know. I'm happy with the set up. With the H&Rs and HD's a corner with some rough pavement unsettled the car during cornering. The MO33 provides a level of compliance that smooths things out in certain driving and road conditions. Uneven pavement will still impact cornering if there are 'bumps' in the corner but not near as bas as theH&R's.
chuck

Quick Reply: Need feedback about my suspension