993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Another cashiers check scenario, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Spidey 993

Default OT: Another cashiers check scenario, advice needed

I have found myself in the scenario and I'm asking what you think about it. The answer isn't "just wire the funds". I either will go through with it or tell him no.

Scenario: I am selling my Hummer H3 for $20k to a guy i Iowa

- I got a call from a dealer today, asking to buy it for his daughter (admitted he was a dealer, but still said it was for his daughter). I verified him, and his business via Google.

- He is 6 hours away, so he and his daughter want to drive here on Sunday, pick up the car and drive back to Iowa.

- He wants to pay via cashiers check because:
If he wires the funds, drives here and the H3 isn't what I said it was, I could stiff him for the funds. He holds no cards. This way, he inspects the car, gives me the CC, and drives away. He says he will call me from the bank tomorrow and I can talk to the bank to verify him and the funds.

- I tell him I would hold the title until the check is verified cleared, and then I overnight the title. He agrees. He says that is the best compromise.

What is the downside here?
A. The guy is an American, not Nigerian
B. I know his place of business, home address
C. I hold the title until check clears (what if he wrecks it?)
D. He wants to do this on the weekend, so do I

I need an easy button
Old 08-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Coltranes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use Escrow.com
Old 08-05-2011, 10:18 PM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good plan you have worked out. I am buying one tomorrow and I'm just bringing a bank check. Gut feeling goes a long way.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a reasonable arrangement for both sides. Not everyone is a crook.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've used this arrangement many times in the past. Seems reasonable to me as well

Mike
Old 08-05-2011, 10:46 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

If you and he sign a Bill of Sale and both sign the title, even though you still have physical possession of the title, and he were to wreck the vehicle, it's his vehicle, not yours. I'd say "git 'er done". Just be sure to put the statement on the Bill of Sale "Sold as is. No warranties expressed or implied".
Old 08-05-2011, 10:50 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Get the information from the buyer as to the bank information where the CC is drawn from. Call the bank and if the bank confirms the CC, then you are good to go.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:03 PM
wolfturbo
Instructor

Keep in mind that a cashiers check can be stopped.

Not saying the buyer is going to stop the CC.

But after a purchaser drives away he can call the phone number on the CC and stop it..

You too can call the number on the CC and check the staus of the check to see if it's good or has been stopped.

I would do the deal on Monday when the banks are open and cash the CC with the buyer there with you..
Old 08-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Spidey 993

Ok, I feel like it's legitimate and the best case scenario given we have to do this on the weekend.

Thanks for all the of the responses.

He is going to call me when he gets the cashiers check from the bank, let me talk to the bank officer to
verify the funds verbally. When he shows up on Sunday AM, he will inspect the car, give me the cashiers
check, drive away. I will hold title for the 4 days until the check is 100% cleared. When it does, I will overnight the title.

I will ensure to put together a Bill of Sale, with the No Warranty clause mentioned here. Excellent advice all, thank you.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Tony,

When he calls from the bank, get the name of the bank and it's address, google it to get their phone number, then you call the bank officer back.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Spidey 993

Good idea and easy to verify that way.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Tony,

When he calls from the bank, get the name of the bank and it's address, google it to get their phone number, then you call the bank officer back.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:34 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I see absolutely no problem with this scenario. What is the absolutely worst thing that could happen? The money order could be fake, right? At this point you would report the truck stolen (which it is) and collect insurance.

But even that is very unlikely. You know the guy's business, you've googled him. Seems pretty straight forward transaction. Just don't o for any weird "we'll pay you more you give us cash back for the gas for this long trip" stuff.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:19 AM
Rialas
Instructor

I just cannot understand why a dealer (or anyone for that matter), would commit to buying a car without seeing it first.
Hope it works out.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Spidey 993

That's essentially the issue, he isnt going to buy it before seeing it. He isn't wiring funds. He will see the car, inspect it, before handing me payment in form of a cashiers check.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

When I recently sold one of my cars for $28K, the buyer came with cash.

As they say....."Cash is King".

Mark

Quick Reply: OT: Another cashiers check scenario, advice needed