993 Forum 1995-1998

speedometer reading 25 mph slow after odometer gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
ilopper
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer reading 25 mph slow after odometer gear

I replaced the odometer gear since it was broke, like everyone else on here evidently. When i put the unit back in, the speedometer now reads about 25 mph below the speed i am going (so when i leave it doesn't even register until i'm out off my subdivision on real roads, and then it says 5 when i know i'm going at least 30)

What did I do wrong and how do i fix it?

Thanks...
Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

did you take the needle off, and if so did you put it back on correctly?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:53 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd use it as an excuse to speed.

If/when you get pulled over, a faulty speedo would get you out of the ticket!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:07 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the needle is def your problem:

From the Odometer Gears website:

'This is completely reverse of everything else. Nothing is too tricky. Continue to take your time paying particular attention to the needle shaft. When reinstalling the Speedo needle, make sure you gently push down evenly on the center hub of the needle. Once it is in firm enough, use the stop points at max speed and 0 mph/kph to realign the needle with 0. Once everything is back together, also gently recompress the trim ring around the back of the Speedo housing. You could use a black permanent marker to cover any scratches. Plug the unit back into the dash and reinsert into your gauge opening. Hopefully all is now re-recording miles.''
Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 PM
ilopper
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i figured out the stop points, but can't get it started to test right now. Battery was dead, charged it and nothing. I'll go search the archives on that. I know it could be the relay, the ground cable or something else. I just had it running the other day, so it's gonna be something goofy. Car doesn't even attempt to crank right now.

Last edited by ilopper; 08-05-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 AM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm dealing with the same issue after replacing the odometer gear. Mine actually worked at first, but when I took the car to the track the speedo needle went off somehow and was 30mph slow on the way home. Took it out, realigned, all seemed fine again until the next track day and the same thing happened. Now it's my excuse to speed, but I think this winter I'll be shipping it off to be recalibrated.

Quick Reply: speedometer reading 25 mph slow after odometer gear