Sponsored by:

Confused 993 S owner: To sell or not to sell

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:12 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Confused 993 S owner: To sell or not to sell

I've been debating with myself since I took the 911 out this spring, but every time I seem to come back to my senses and decide to keep the car.

Situation:

I own a very nice '97 993 C2S with all the goodies (see signature bloc) and an old beater BMW I use during the winter. The problem is that I can't keep both at my condo and I have to store one or the other 10 km from my place.

Considerations:

-I will be out of country from Feb 12 to Aug 12.
-I love owning and driving the 911.
-My Condo Unit number is 911 (no kidding!!!)
-Can only keep one car at my condo
-My random license plate number starts with 911 too...
-I start hockey season (2x per week) in september so the 911 can't be my primary car from that moment on.
-I drive less than 12,000 km per year because I walk to work
-My 993S seems to be holding it's value (83k miles)
-BMW is a write off. If I get 1k out of it I'll be happy.
-Could sell the 911 and invest what I get out of it.

Question:

I've been asking myself if I should sell both cars and buy only one "good" car I could drive all year long.

Must have:

-Manual transmission
-Exclusive. Must be relatively rare. e.g. 2000 BMW M coupe would fit the bill.
-Power comparable to the 911
-Reliable (BMW and 911 have been very good to me)
-Approx 10 years old. 2002 max.
-2 or 4 doors, but need more storage space than the 911. BMW has been a great car for that purpose...
-Budget 15k to 30k
-Something I can bang up (not on purpose) and not feel too bad about it, i.e. hitting a pot hole, a new door ding because of some idiot, bumper scratches, rock chips, driving over small animals, etc.

My suggestions:

BMW M3 E46.
BMW M coupe

Final thought:

The thought of selling my 911 makes me a bit sad because I've been a Porsche owner for the past 11 years. If I sell it now and buy a better all-year car, I don't think I'd buy another 911 for the next little while. I love the 911 but I'd probably for something more exotic like a F360 or a Aston Martin Vantage in a couple of years before I hit 40... (7 to go and I'm on the right track)

What do you think?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep the 993!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:16 PM
R2R
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's much easier to keep compared to "maybe" buying one in the future... KEEP IT IF YOU LOVE IT!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:29 PM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

b6 s4 wagon/avant with a 6 spd.Definitely in your budget,they are rare and find a 6spd and it's almost like gold,old enough you don't mind a ding or two,but yet they still look great and like the 911(atleast i think) the styling is somewhat timeless.I've got a b6 black on black 6spd with the factory recaros and love it,plus you get some serious looks running through the gears with a v8 wagonthe 340hp v8 is strong and sounds even better, so in terms of perfomance it would't be a step down....As much as i want a 993,It really is a do all machine,plus the quattro kicks *** in the winter. the wagons with the third pedal really seem to hold their value too......sorry to ramble,can ya tell i love mine!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 875 Likes on 442 Posts

You got to do what YOU got to do...

Maybe it's time to part with it.

To me, the BMW M coupe doesn't hold a candle in the looks dept. to your 911.

Your apt #, your license plate... don't you see the signs? I think you're going to be sick to death if you sell it but I'm not you.

But, if you must sell it, and it seems you think you must, I'd get the M3 in a heartbeat over the M Coupe. Looks wise, it's even nicer in a way than the new ones.

Good luck. The quality of our problems...
Old 08-02-2011, 08:49 AM
DanL993
button queen

OK guys, why do we have to keep talking these folks back from the ledge??

IMHO if they are really thinking of selling their 993 they have good reason(s) and us telling them to keep a car they have even contemplated selling does not change the reason(s). Most of them are regulars to Rennlist and have seen numerous threads on the same (tiresome?) subject. As such, he is aware of what he's in for as far as buyer's remorse and the increasingly difficult challange of finding a car as good as the one he just got rid of.

Let him jump!!

Just sayin'.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Coop
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Keep the 993 and buy a better daily driver. A used anything is better than selling a well sorted 993!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:04 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Dear Mr. Fellow Drug Addict:

I am writing to ask you whether I should I stop using crack. I like using crack, when I'm high. But, after I come down, I feel hungover and like I need some more and I need it badly. I once sold my wife to buy some more -- but I eventually came down and she came home, too -- a lose-lose. So, I guess the lesson was it was good while it lasted. Anyway, I digress.

I know you're not the right person to ask, since you love crack more than I do and you'd laugh at this "thinking of straightening out my life" thing, but I thought I'd run it by you just out of curiosity. In much anticipation.

Very truly yours,
Reluctant Drug Addict
Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 AM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

LOL,

I think most of you are right. I'll just keep the 993 and get a better all-year car. Sounds fair.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Originally Posted by thedyingiraffe
-

-Something I can bang up (not on purpose) and not feel too bad about it, i.e. hitting a pot hole, a new door ding because of some idiot, bumper scratches, rock chips, driving over small animals, etc.

What do you think?

Put a "S" spoiler on it, scoop them over the hood.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Move out of condo and get a house with garage.

one parking space condos suck. (i know your pain)

Your 993 is something you can hold onto for a long time as great driver and classic. Never sell it.
If you need something for the winter, then get an all wheel drive BMW or something.....

Once you let go of a summer vehicle and replace it with an all rounder you never really get back to a summer only vehicle and then you wake up one day and wish you kept the car especially when considering the minimal money you got for it when you sold it....

Even you stop driving the 993, to have one in the garage is a dream that should never die.

10 years from now these cars will be even cooler tucked away in garages.... people will be hunting for them....
Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 PM
pcst
Racer

Or move to a house with 2 car garages or at least 1 garage w/ the private driveway to park additional cars.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car market is dead right now, so you should be able to get a very good deal on a second car.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 875 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by thedyingiraffe
LOL,

I think most of you are right. I'll just keep the 993 and get a better all-year car. Sounds fair.
Wow, we did it. Score!

Reverse psychology, playing on your heartstrings, whatever it took.

You'll think back on this thread years from now if you still have your car and be glad you made this decision.

Or, if you can watch this above video and NOT keep your car you're a stronger man than I am.

sr
Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

hitting a pot hole, a new door ding because of some idiot, bumper scratches, rock chips, driving over small animals, etc.

Interesting hobbies......keep the car

Quick Reply: Confused 993 S owner: To sell or not to sell