Sponsored by:

Jacking a 993 WB

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Jacking a 993 WB

Have done a search and can't find an answer of how to jack a car that is on a lift. I have a drive on lift, which is great. But, once the car is on the lift, there is the need to jack it up so that it is off its wheels for repairs. My car has been lowered which makes the task a little bit more difficult, but the issue is still "how to do it". I was able to purchase a screw jack meant for stabilizing travel trailers, but it does not work well with my car, even though I can get it under the car. Just not meant for jacking up cars, I guess.

Then I got the idea of just using the screw jack that came with the 993. However, when I look at it, I cannot, for the life of me, find the jacking index holes on the frame of the car that were meant to fit the jack. The jack has a pad that has a male prong, rectangular in shape, with radiused ends, that should mate up with a similar hole in the body......but, I can not find that hole. In fact, on my wide body car, the jack points appear to be quite a bit ways under the side rails of the car. At any rate, if I could locate where the jack is meant to be indexed, I might be able to lift the car that way.

But, ultimately, I am looking for a better way to raise a car (that has minimal ground clearance) while the car is sitting on a lift. Obviously, I cannot use a floor jack. So, what do you guys use that have lifts such as mine?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 4 post lift knowing I would do vehicle maintenance so I ordered the hydraulic bridge jack with it. This is an air/hydraulic unit. It was not cheap (price has come down I see http://www.babco.ca/Automotive-Equip...s/BendPak-RJ45. I also have a sliding platform which many lifts come with. Generally I only need one end of the car off the ramps so I will use the sliding bridge jack with hockey pucks as lifting pads under the lifting points. Sometimes I will just use my small aluminum floor jack on the ramp to lift one corner. It is very small and light. The sliding bridge jack takes a little effort to move it up and down the length of the ramps. I think it weighs 300 pounds or so.

ps my car is lowered to around the lower end of ROW Sport
Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by matt777
I bought my 4 post lift knowing I would do vehicle maintenance so I ordered the hydraulic bridge jack with it. This is an air/hydraulic unit. It was not cheap (price has come down I see http://www.babco.ca/Automotive-Equip...s/BendPak-RJ45. I also have a sliding platform which many lifts come with. Generally I only need one end of the car off the ramps so I will use the sliding bridge jack with hockey pucks as lifting pads under the lifting points. Sometimes I will just use my small aluminum floor jack on the ramp to lift one corner. It is very small and light. The sliding bridge jack takes a little effort to move it up and down the length of the ramps. I think it weighs 300 pounds or so.

ps my car is lowered to around the lower end of ROW Sport
Thanks for the reply. Oddly, I have the Bend Pac HS9 lift in my garage. Since the lift was only about $2400, it is a bit much to consider paying almost half that again for the bridge jack.

How cumbersome and awkward is the aluminum jack you also mentioned. Which model do you have an what was the pricing and supplier for t hat item?

INcidentally, I also have (2) of the sliding bridge supports for the lift and often use them to set the jack stands on; however, it is very difficult to get a jack under my car, which is set up higher, I believe, than yours.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:45 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Default How to use Porsche jack?

Noticed that no one has responded with an answer to where the factory Porsche screw jack indexes into the body of the wide body cars. Perhaps I am missing an adaptor from my tool kit, but am not sure and the owners manual does not address my issue.

So, if I am trying to use the aluminum OEM scissors jack, what does the prong on the top of the jacks head index to? Does it index into a hole in the cars body or does it index into some sort of adaptor that indexes into the car body?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by earossi
..how cumbersome and awkward is the aluminum jack you also mentioned. Which model do you have an what was the pricing and supplier for t hat item?
It is a small aluminum floor jack that weighs maybe 20 pounds and has a rubber pad. It is easy to maneuver but you must watch that the handle doesn't hit the side of the car. As I'm in Canada the vendor won't help you much but I believe this is the one http://www.princessauto.com/workshop...num-floor-jack
I'm sure Harbor Freight or the like will have something like this. It is low enough to slip under the jack points so check the jacks specs for minimum height.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

It is a small aluminum floor jack that weighs maybe 20 pounds and has a rubber pad. It is easy to maneuver but you must watch that the handle doesn't hit the side of the car. As I'm in Canada the vendor won't help you much but I believe this is the one http://www.princessauto.com/workshop...num-floor-jack
I'm sure Harbor Freight or the like will have something like this. It is low enough to slip under the jack points so check the jacks specs for minimum height.

Thanks Matt. I'll look into the aluminum jack. Also, do you know how to use the jack that came with the car?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by earossi
Thanks Matt. I'll look into the aluminum jack. Also, do you know how to use the jack that came with the car?
No idea. Does it not fit under the jacking pads?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

No idea. Does it not fit under the jacking pads?

Picked up a 1.5 ton aluminum jack at Harbor Freight today - on sale for $80. Haven't used it yet, but the price was right and it looks as though it will work just fine under the lowered car.

Regarding the OEM jack, there don't appear to be an jacking pads on my car. There are areas along the side rails, front and rear, where the plastic cladding exposes the unibody sheet metal, but I can't find a spot that looks like it will mate up with the OEM scissor jack. I'm a bit dumbfounded, to be honest.

Quick Reply: Jacking a 993 WB