Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove and save sticker from DME cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 AM
ard
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 106 Posts
Default How to remove and save sticker from DME cover?

Hi,

hoping to tap the collective wisdom of the board - and yes I did search and didn't quite find what I was looking for.

I recently replaced the cover on the Motronic (DME) of my '95 993 with a new one, because the old one had a few broken tabs (long story).

I would very much like to transfer the sticker, that has not only the exact Porsche part number but also the Bosch part number on it, from the old cover to the new cover. During the early days of the 993, Porsche revised the DME several times, so knowing the exact part numbers is essential.

Unlike the VIN sticker on the door jamb, this sticker is smaller and has no perforations that could lead to tears. I am currently away from home but I can post pics when I get home.

What are my options? I came up with the list below. My overriding concern in all of these to keep the sticker intact - i.e. no cuts and no discoloration.

1) heat gun and razor - cons: seems easy to cut the sticker up

2) bake in oven @ ~ 150 deg to soften the glue and then try to slide the sticker off - cons: sticker may discolor

3) label remover in a can - no experience with such products. I have heard suggestions as varied as starting spray and WD40

4) get a copy of the original sticker made - what kind of business can make duplicate metal film stickers?

Ideas much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what glue is used on the sticker, but I would give a hair dryer a go.
Should melt the glue.
The heat gun is good, but could generate too much heat and damage the sticker.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Take a high quality photo first. Good back up plan.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
Take a high quality photo first. Good back up plan.
Great idea. I was going to suggest taking the cover to a sign shop, have them scan it and then create an RTA (ready-to-apply) sticker out of vinyl or paper. Archive the file if the sticker degrades so you can repeat the process if necessary. FYI, some sign shops are better at accurate color matching than others.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know the material of sticker, and have never seen it...but I would probably go the route of a hair dryer. To increase the heat output of the dryer...you can add some blockage to the air intake...as if it were clogged with hair...really adds to the heat. This should help it release...obviously don't get it TOO hot. But BEFORE I did anything to it...I would take a high resolution picture for the purpose that Mark talked about.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 PM
ard
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I will take the cover to a print shop and have them make a hi-res copy before I try any removal methods.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering... why is the sticker an issue? Concours?

The original DME in my car had a 944 part number. If it had a sticker I wouldn't mind losing it.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Great idea. I was going to suggest taking the cover to a sign shop, have them scan it and then create an RTA (ready-to-apply) sticker out of vinyl or paper. Archive the file if the sticker degrades so you can repeat the process if necessary. FYI, some sign shops are better at accurate color matching than others.
Cool idea.

Wouldn't these be available from Porsche?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have removed thousands of stickers/labels in one piece using nothing more than a razor blade and a hair dryer on high or heat gun on low. Get the label very warm and give it a go. practice first on some other labels stuck somewhere. it's not that hard when you get the feel for it. you have to heat the glue nice n hot.

Nick

Quick Reply: How to remove and save sticker from DME cover?