Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Help Avoiding Scams Selling my 98 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:12 PM
jwdwight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Avoiding Scams Selling my 98 C4S

I am selling my 1998 C4S and it seems like every other inquiry is a scam. I have someone who is interested and we have agreed on price. I have talked to him on the phone for a couple hours and he seems real but I am just a bit skeptical. It really bums me out to think this is what our county has come to and instead of just selling my car to a new owner who will appreciate it, I have to work hard at making sure I am not getting scammed. Pretty sad. Nevertheless, any thoughts or any of you who are aware of the current scams or names of people pulling scams right now, I would love to hear from you.

By the way, here is the link to my ad on Autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=303123151

The only reason I am selling is financial. Otherwise, I would keep this car forever.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Scamming has been going on since the dawn of civilization. It's nothing new. Just more sophisticated with newer technologies and to progress beyond all the known techniques, and also larger populations now, too.

Use your instincts and be cautious as you would with anything, selling or buying. It'll go fine. Maybe only sell to a RLer or a PCA member. That's what I did and through word of mouth. I simply didn't want to deal with posting ads and constant phone calls and tire kickers. You have a nice looking car there and with a unique color, it should sell easily.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The annoying thing for me is the "services" that want to "help" you sell your car. Even though I put in the ad for them not to call they still do. I report them to the Do Not Call registry but little good it comes of it.

Best of luck on the sale.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:57 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

It's also a two-way street......We are looking at a 993 on ebay that we are hesitant to bid on because we're afraid it might be a scam.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:58 PM
jwdwight
Instructor

Originally Posted by RJT
It's also a two-way street......We are looking at a 993 on ebay that we are hesitant to bid on because we're afraid it might be a scam.
Which one on Ebay?
Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 PM
jwdwight
Instructor

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Scamming has been going on since the dawn of civilization. It's nothing new. Just more sophisticated with newer technologies and to progress beyond all the known techniques, and also larger populations now, too.
I know its an age old practice, but I have never seen it this bad. I would say over 50% of the inquiries are scammers. That's sad...
Old 07-31-2011, 02:05 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's an easy, foolproof way to avoid getting scammed. Cash.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:07 PM
shu
Racer

jw, pm me so we can compare notes.......
Old 07-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Even cash would need to be transacted at a bank for fear of counterfeit. Sad.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
There's an easy, foolproof way to avoid getting scammed. Cash.
Cash is not always foolproof. Buyer arrives with cash, you sign over the title, buyer pulls out a gun and takes cash, car and title, and maybe your life.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Cash is not always foolproof. Buyer arrives with cash, you sign over the title, buyer pulls out a gun and takes cash, car and title, and maybe your life.
Or, buyer shows up with gun and takes your life (lives in my example), then takes car.

Twin brothers I went to school with in AZ (beyond rich from UAE, but nicest most trusting guys you could imagine) wanted new '86 930, but the dealer was dicking them around on what their '84 coupe was worth. So they tried a local sale. Scum-of-Earth told his roommate, so the story goes, he's "going to get a Porsh today somehow." Goes over with a gun, shoots them both (one while trying to flee), and takes off. APB results in Nevada HP spotting the car about 10 hours later in Boulder City. Dude shoots himself in the head, thankfully killing himself, and car crashes into a totally heap.

So no, this isn't anything new. It's just the wonderful internet makes dicking people around so easy.

And of course my frustration last week with a real, in person, multiple Porsche owner.

(My wife listed a week for our Hawaii timeshare on Craigslist. I can't believe people are trying to scam vacation properties.)
Old 07-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

ok guys it goes both ways, we have scam buyers and scam sellers, I have bought my 4 porsche's this year and I'm on the process now of getting #5 from a RL member, So in the same way when I'm buying I wonder if the sellers are telling the truth about the car I'm buying, and yes is sad what this world is coming too..
Old 07-31-2011, 02:53 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

This one is easy. Have the buyer wire the funds to your bank first. No way to scam a bank to bank wire transfer.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are lucky enough to have a local buyer, what I have done in the past is meet the buyer at the bank and complete the paerwork there then deposit their check/cash immediately. Ebay has an escrow service. Does anyone have experience with it?
Old 07-31-2011, 02:56 PM
racer
Drifting

Its unclear to me if the OP is annoyed at those obvious scam emails in response to your ad placement or is the OP afraid of being scammed after you've "met" a potential buyer.

Since folks have learned NOT to trust anyone, it sure makes it hard these days doesn't it.

Quick Reply: Need Help Avoiding Scams Selling my 98 C4S