Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 seats - backs are sticky

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had great success with 2 different leather care products. Zaino Z10 Leahter In A Bottle and products from www.colorplus.com.

Last year I purchased this leather care brush from Phil:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Swiss...ush_p_166.html

It made a great addition to my detailing regiment. I clean my leather with a diluted solution of Lexol (orange bottle) leather cleaner and water. Let dry over night, and then condition. My +5 year old Sand Beige full leather looks better than new after +40,000 miles (and a Concours win). And my Classic Grey interior, after +14 years is still stunning and fresh.

I use Aerospace 303 on the vinyl and plastic.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I ordered the Leatherique Pristine Clean & Rejuvenator Oil. I hope I have as much success as the other posts I've read.

Last edited by ble2011; 08-03-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 PM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but many of the 993's I'm looking at have bolster wear even light cracking, some more then others, is there anything that can be done to correct it?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Leatherique Pristine Clean & Rejuvenator Oil first and if it needs redying - go to www.colorplus.com they stock factory colors for porsche leather and have great service. just a satisfied customer
Old 08-03-2011, 08:12 PM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stace
Leatherique Pristine Clean & Rejuvenator Oil first and if it needs redying - go to www.colorplus.com they stock factory colors for porsche leather and have great service. just a satisfied customer
So not a deal killer if everything was what you wanted?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:05 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by slickster85
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but many of the 993's I'm looking at have bolster wear even light cracking, some more then others, is there anything that can be done to correct it?
In addition to using a quality leather care product, you also need to find ways to keep the leather out of the sun. By using a windshield screen, park in a garage, park in the shade, and things like this. A daily driver vs a weekend toy (not talking a garage queen here) makes a big difference too, IMO.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:05 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
I ordered the Leatherique Pristine Clean & Rejuvenator Oil. I hope I have as much success as the other posts I've read.
How did it end up working for you?

Based on all the hype on forums, etc, I ordered the sampler pack (two 8 ounce bottles) from Leatherique and tried it on my seats.

Two applications of the Rejuvenator Oil on two consecutive days with the car parked in the sun as directed. I then let it sit another two days till I used the Pristine Clean.

I didn't see anything float to the surface of the leather as the instructions mentioned. Maybe my leather was clean to start with.

As for making the leather more supple, I saw no difference. I tried the product but I might as well use the Lexol products I still have on the shelf.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:13 AM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
How did it end up working for you?

Based on all the hype on forums, etc, I ordered the sampler pack (two 8 ounce bottles) from Leatherique and tried it on my seats.

Two applications of the Rejuvenator Oil on two consecutive days with the car parked in the sun as directed. I then let it sit another two days till I used the Pristine Clean.

I didn't see anything float to the surface of the leather as the instructions mentioned. Maybe my leather was clean to start with.

As for making the leather more supple, I saw no difference. I tried the product but I might as well use the Lexol products I still have on the shelf.
Well Alex, from the one time I saw your seats in person they looked brand new, and with your car having only 40-50K miles, and being obviously cared for by the previous owners it's not a surprise. The experience I had with the Leatherique on my seats was quite different - but my seats had 104K miles and had probably never been conditioned. My hands were black with dirt from just applying the rejuevinator and when I finally removed it with the pristine clean I went through 4 microfibre towels. In the end my seats were drastically improved. From what I have read and experienced the Leatherique does a great job at bringing leather back to life. In your seats case it would have been like using botox on an 18 year old...
Old 08-21-2011, 11:23 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by firesm
The experience I had with the Leatherique on my seats was quite different - but my seats had 104K miles and had probably never been conditioned.
Steve, did it make the leather any softer?

That is what I was hoping for thinking that softer leather will be less likely to crack over time. It could be that the leather is soft, but with the firm foam under it, it just feels tough/hard.

Originally Posted by firesm
My hands were black with dirt from just applying the rejuevinator and when I finally removed it with the pristine clean I went through 4 microfibre towels.
My cloths were a medium brown, the colour of the Rejuvenator Oil. I guess its better to complain that no dirt was removed than to complain that the leather seats were dirty.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:24 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like night and day. The bolsters on the passenger side seat were particularly stiff, and after treatment they were quite soft by comparison.

It could be that the leather is soft, but with the firm foam under it, it just feels tough/hard.
From the one time I saw your seats I think that's as soft as they get.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I just finished using the Leatherique rejuvenator and pristine clean. It did seem to remove the stickiness problem, but other than that, I did not notice a big change.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:00 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

That is what I was hoping for thinking that softer leather will be less likely to crack over time. It could be that the leather is soft, but with the firm foam under it, it just feels tough/hard.

My cloths were a medium brown, the colour of the Rejuvenator Oil. I guess its better to complain that no dirt was removed than to complain that the leather seats were dirty.

Alex,

I had pretty much the same impression from using the Leatherique products. It did not seem to remove a whole lot from my seats; but, as has been suggested, that may be because my interior was pretty clean to start with.

I did do two treatments with the Leatherique combo (Rejuvanator and Pristine), and I "perceived" that the leather is a little bit softer.....but not as soft as the leather in my wife's Lexus. But, this is all subjective, since if it is softer, it is only so by a small bit.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by earossi
It did not seem to remove a whole lot from my seats; but, as has been suggested, that may be because my interior was pretty clean to start with.
That is what I figured because I did not see what the Leatherique directions said I would see floating to the top of the leather.

Originally Posted by earossi
I did do two treatments with the Leatherique combo (Rejuvanator and Pristine), and I "perceived" that the leather is a little bit softer.....but not as soft as the leather in my wife's Lexus.
I still have some Leatherique left in the sampler bottles and when that runs out, I'll use the Lexol that hasn't been touched yet. I'll reapply every couple of months. Maybe repeated applications will soften it a bit more. What I have to do is check out Steve's seats the next time I am over.

I only went into panic mode when I saw some hard backs advertized here and they weren't anywhere close to the new shape mine are in...gotta look after them. They are worth a bit.

Quick Reply: 993 seats - backs are sticky