Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shop Recomendations for SAI cleaning.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011 | 07:54 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Default Shop Recomendations for SAI cleaning.......

So as the title says, I'm looking for a reputable shop in the RI, CT, MA area that is familiar with cleaning the SAI ports on a 993. The dreaded CEL came on a few weeks ago in my 96 C4S and I went and got the codes read at my independant shop. They said it was a oxygen sensor code and a misfire code, they checked the car over and said everything looked good and they reset the light and told me to bring it back as soon as the light came back on. Well I did and they were able to say that it is for sure the SAI ports are clogged. They advised me that I could wait until I have the car in for a major service to clean them so that I save on labor. Part of me says that I could just wait until I need to have something else fixed but I know that when that light comes on in a few hundred miles it will annoy me and I will need to have it fixed.

So, if you know of any decent shops that are familiar with the SAI port cleaning in a 993, then let me know. Thanks in Advance for any advice.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 07-23-2011 | 09:22 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Ryan, I can't remember the SAI OBDII code I think it is p401?? I would wait and get it checked out again before you spend $$$ which may not even be necessary. Buy a cheap scanner at Auto Zone and plug it in and see what code you get next time the light goes on. Double check the Mass Air Flow meter and make sure all the O2 sensors are good. I had my SAI check valve replaced and I have had no more CEL's. You could just use the OBD scanner to clear your check engine light when it comes on it takes about 15 seconds. It will only matter when we have to get the car emissions tested. I would definitely wait until you need clutch or other engine work to possibly get it done (if it even needs it). I highway recommend EPE in Natick, MA. Jerry Pellegrino was great to work with and work was top notch he's highly recommended here on RL. The other option I would consider is Inskip's Pat Duggan. One of our Porsche's finest mechanics right here in Warwick, RI. HE told me he has a method of cleaning the ports. But be prepared to pay dealer prices $$$$$$$$. He is also highly recommended here on RL.
Old 07-24-2011 | 01:53 AM
ryguy993
Racer

Thanks for the advice chris! I will get a scan tool and check the codes again when the light comes on. That would be great if it was just the SAI check valve. I know that some people say it is a pretty straight forward procedure to clean the ports but I would rather have an experienced mechanic do the job. What model scanner tool do you reccomend? I'm still trying to convince my wife that I need the Fister stage 3 exhaust... Maybe she will cave for my birthday and let me splurge, we'll see I guess.

Thanks Again,
Ryan
Old 07-24-2011 | 09:34 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Neither of the shops up there that I spoke to when I had this issue with my cab wanted to mess with cleaning out the ports ... that included EPE. Both recommended new valve guides. That was a while ago, though, maybe they do it now.

Doesn't make sense that they reported an oxygen sensor and misfire code, and now it's SAI, though. Pretty much any scanner will work.
Old 07-24-2011 | 11:04 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

^^^^^^
If EPE doesn't do it, I am pretty sure Inskip will. Just make sure you request Pat Duggan. Go in and speak to him directly about your issue. I have an Actron OBD reader from Autozone. I think it was around 50-60 bucks. It is an orange one with blue lettering on it. Ryan, you can just sell me your C4S and I will deal with your problem. But seriously I am trying to sell my cab (although I haven't got around to putting a for sale ad here on RL yet), and if I end up trading my car in to a dealer I won't be getting any money for my stage III's so when the time comes I will contact people locally to see if they want to trade cans plus a little cash for my stage III's. I will probably be getting rid of the RH wheels also and putting the twists back on. Let your father in law know if he is looking to upgrade the wheels or exhaust also. How is he making out with the cab?

Last edited by cpdjfd107; 07-24-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-2011 | 06:30 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Hey Chris,
Consider your Stage III's sold!!! I will let my father in law know about the RH wheels also. My Mechanic told me that until I need to have some major engine work done I really don't need to have the ports cleaned. I will talk to Pat Duggan next time I am at inskip. I have spoken to him very breifly when I've had my car serviced there before and he seems like he knows a ton about the 993's! Anyway, before you get rid of the Cab we should meet up for a drive. Well let me know when you are ready to sell the stage III's

Talk to you soon,
Ryan
Old 07-25-2011 | 10:22 PM
air klwd
Instructor

RYGUY993 ....do a search on sai cleaning CDR driver had an excellent write up on his method, I meet with him ( really nice guy ) used his method, took about a day to do it's been over a year now an no issues.....Harry

Quick Reply: Shop Recomendations for SAI cleaning.......